Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On-Board audio vs. Add in sound card (USB or PCI)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On-Board audio vs. Add in sound card (USB or PCI)

OK i have been researching this topic for a while now. i am trying to decide to either get a MoBo with 6 channel audio on board or a MoBo without onboard audio and use some sort of add it card (USB or PCI). i know that the onboard will most likely use less power, but will it sound as good as an add in sound card. Please let me know what you all think. i would like to use a MoBo with On board audio but not if it sacrifies alot of sound quality. Please leave some comments.
    Thanks ,
    Progress:

Planning [XXXXXXXXX-] - 90%

Building [XX--------] - 20%

I opted for an onboard and regret it somewhat.

The sound quality is fine for me.
    I just feel limited in experimenting with better sound cards/ surround formats.

Comment

I guess for everyday things and every people...I don't think you would notice. But for audiophile, they only want to best.

Honestly. I can't tell the difference between my Sound Blaster Audigy and the Realtek Onboard sound. As long as it's clear...I don't really mind.

Comment

It depends on what you are going to be listening to. Just compressed music, you might not notice much, but DVD ands CDs you could probably notice a difference. ALso depends on what you are going to play the music through. What are you using to power your speakers? Are you using a stock oem system?

Here is a giant list of external soundcards

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88081
        System always under construction

Comment

personally, even with my 2.1 setup at my desk at home.

when i was using my realtek sound, then i had a machine with another onboard chipset (cant remember which) i thought it sounded fine.

but then i switched to the Audigy 2 and i immediately noticed a significant increase in sound quality.
          ~George~
          1990 BMW 525iA
          CarPC in the works

Comment

Originally posted by durwood View Post
            It depends on what you are going to be listening to. Just compressed music, you might not notice much, but DVD ands CDs you could probably notice a difference. ALso depends on what you are going to play the music through. What are you using to power your speakers? Are you using a stock oem system?

Here is a giant list of external soundcards

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=88081
            Thank you all for the input. i will probably be mostly listening to MP3s. i had planed on taking the audio out signals and input it into a JL audio amp via mini-jack to RCA cord. then to componet speakers. if you click the link in my signature, it will take you to another thread i started discussing what i have planed out thus far. please feel free to drop in and give some feedback on that too. thanks again to everyone.
            Progress:

Comment

Well, if you are using JL amps and component speakers then that means you care about how your music sounds. Go with an upgraded soundcard...PCI or USB version. Your Ears will thank you for it.

FYI USB soundcards use some CPU resources.
              System always under construction

Comment

Originally posted by durwood View Post
                Well, if you are using JL amps and component speakers then that means you care about how your music sounds. Go with an upgraded soundcard...PCI or USB version. Your Ears will thank you for it.

FYI USB soundcards use some CPU resources.

PCI thanagain, can pick up unwanted noise.... so personally I'd go with a USB-solution.
                Xenia & Isabelle, totally in love!

'T SQiekenkot: VOLVO 740GL 2.3

CarPC: none at the moment
                CLARION HX-D2
                CLARION APA4300HX => Fountek NeoCd1.0 + TB W4-1337SD
                CLARION APA4300HX => CSS Trio8
                CLARION APA2100 => Dayton IB385-8

Comment

Thanks for the input. i think that i will probably revise my plan a bit to change the MoBo for somthing w/o on board 6 channel audio and go with a sound card. another thought is that i want to plan for vista. so i may need a midrange DX10 video card when they come out. food for thought. thanks again for the input and helping me come up with a solution.
                  Ciao,
                  Progress:

Comment

Working...
                  X