Carputer [yes im newbie]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer [yes im newbie]

hey guys, sorry if this has already been discussed but ive been looking around all different forums for about 2months now in trying to research for a car pc...

now my mum is going to be goin over to hong kong end of the month, and she can get me something while shes over there. what i want to know is what i should look at getting. what im wanting the system to do is, store all my music on it and play it of course, run gps software, mobile handsfree software. when it comes down the track also software to run my aftermarket ECU for the car. would also like the pc to play dvds...

whats gonna be running off of this pc (hardware) is a dvd headunit(so i get radio cause im in australia we havnt got anything other than FM/AM) and that to also play dvds straight off of that unit. i will also be running a 12inch TFT (old laptop screen off of the pc). so ill have 2 screens i can choose from for the pc. a mouse (with the ball on the top) and probably have a wireless keyboard somewhere tucked away incase i need it...

what would you guys suggest be best for my options? ive been lookin towards the VIA stuff but im not 100% sure, and also what would be the best bet for power supply? theres gonna be alot of custom stuff done in the car so i wont really need a case as of yet...

thanx alot guys, apreciate all help.

Bourbon.

Sounds like you really need a LOT more surfing around on THIS SITE. Dont bother looking in too many other places. Everything i needed help with when putting my system together, i found the answers to here.

No one on this site is going to hand answers over to you unless they are specific to your setup and you are looking for diagnostic assistance to troubleshoot a problem you are having.

There are a lot of FAQ's and Reviews of LOTS of parts that you can put together to make your CarPC.

Best advice i can give you is to just keep reading and reading.

And welcome to the club!

Comment

also, you wont get the latop screen to work with a computer, theres no decoder usually (its built into the latop motherboard)

second, you want a touchscreen

third, ECU? hah really depends on what kind of ECU you get, but i would get an ecutek ecu if you were going to replace it

next, the dvd player in the HD will not work with the PC, they are almost never able to connect to PC's (people dont want them too), and they wont play when you are moving.

also for the radio, take a look at mp3cars shop, they have a very good radio you can put in the carpc, so you dont need to buy a headunit (just an amp)
      2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

ok well ive found a convertor to use for the laptop screen, they have one for the model i have, http://uk.kontron.com/index.php?id=82&cat=364. dont need a touch screen, can use a mouse (with the ball ontop and mould the mouse into my door handle, not hard).

ECU will be aftermarket and come with its own software so that is no issue.

DVD player doesnt have to show whats on the computer screen, it would just be an added bonus (and down the track ill be upgrading the screen and so on).

as for the radio, over here in aus is a different story, everywhere in aus that ive seen people try to do something for the radio nothing works well down here...as why ill run radio through the headunit, but songs on the comp will detour past the headunit.

all im after is a general nudge in the right direction on the actual computer to go into the car. what minimum specs should i be looking for?

Originally posted by Redian View Post
        also, you wont get the latop screen to work with a computer, theres no decoder usually (its built into the latop motherboard)

second, you want a touchscreen

third, ECU? hah really depends on what kind of ECU you get, but i would get an ecutek ecu if you were going to replace it

next, the dvd player in the HD will not work with the PC, they are almost never able to connect to PC's (people dont want them too), and they wont play when you are moving.

also for the radio, take a look at mp3cars shop, they have a very good radio you can put in the carpc, so you dont need to buy a headunit (just an amp)

Comment

Originally posted by bourbon View Post
          ok well ive found a convertor to use for the laptop screen, they have one for the model i have, http://uk.kontron.com/index.php?id=82&cat=364. dont need a touch screen, can use a mouse (with the ball ontop and mould the mouse into my door handle, not hard).

ECU will be aftermarket and come with its own software so that is no issue.

DVD player doesnt have to show whats on the computer screen, it would just be an added bonus (and down the track ill be upgrading the screen and so on).

as for the radio, over here in aus is a different story, everywhere in aus that ive seen people try to do something for the radio nothing works well down here...as why ill run radio through the headunit, but songs on the comp will detour past the headunit.

all im after is a general nudge in the right direction on the actual computer to go into the car. what minimum specs should i be looking for?
          So far, you've rejected all of the advice offered, but I'll aska couple of questions.

First, why do you insist on using the laptop screen? Is it to save money? Good luck with that. Most video controller cards that can handle LVDS are more expensive than starting over with a new screen that includes the controller. However, if you are bound and determined to use a laptop screen, be advised that they stink in the sunlight. They are not as bright as a Lilliput or Xenarc.

Considering the cost and quality tradeoff, the winner, hands down, is the Lilliput or Xenarc screen. Get Mum to buy you that in Hong Kong. Make sure that you test it there. Returning a DOA product to Hong Kong is expensive.

If you have an old laptop, consider using the laptop as your CPU. You don't need very much power for what you are proposing. In fact, a good choice might be the low end cheapo Dell off the web or a 2 year old laptop of FleaBay.

Otherwise, get the Epia M10000. It will do all that you are asking of it.

And check here to find out about connecting a laptop screen to your computer.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

thanks bugbyte, all i was really worried about was the actual computer itself, as in the motherboard and cpu and ram...hopefully can pick one of these up in hongkong...

thanks again.

Comment

If you want a good quality motherboard (expensive though) that will drive the LVDS Laptop screen, go for the Commell-series with onboard LVDS.

The LV-677 supports new Core 2 Duo cpus.

Cpu you can go to E6300 Allendale (Conroe with 2m L2 cache), and for a powersupply, get a M2-ATX.

I have a E6400 cpu, 2.5" 100gig Sata Laptop dirve (Seagate Momentus 7200.1), Pioneer DVR-K05 Slimline Slotload Multiburner, Asus P5V VM DH micro-ATX motherboard, and the M2-ATX works just fine, even with both cores loaded 100% using Orthos.

I tested the rails with an Oscilloscope, no out of spec ripple, which makes me happy.

You can have a look at the specs I provided, much better than the normal Via Epias, some may argue powerconsumption, others the price, others again may want to know why you want such a powerful beast for a carputer?

Well, I have GPS, OBD-II, wifi, MP3's, so if I want to multitasjk I can - no problem there.

Maybe a year ago such a system would be way to expensive, well, nowadays quite affordable. Especially if your Mum can get some of the goodies from Hong Kong

Enjoy, and keep us posted.

edit: Be careful with LVDS cable-lengths though, they must remain as short as possible - less than a few cm's. This means that the laptop panel must be basically connected immediately ontop of your motherboard.

Much better, easier and more practical to go with decent 7"-8" Touchscreens, ie Xenarc (expensive) or ebay specials, which may be quite good sometimes.
              F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

Working...
              X