Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some expert advise on how to install CarPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need some expert advise on how to install CarPC

    Hi Guys,

    Im new to the whole experience of setting up a carPC. I know there are lot of threads already floating around about what queries i am about to post. But reading them has already caused confusion. SO I figured the best thing for me to do is to list out what i have and how I can get it done.

    What I currently Have :-

    1. VM7100 - 7" TFT-LCD Touchscreen Car Monitor
    2. VIA EPIA MII 10000
    VIA C3 E-Series
    1.0 GHz Processor
    Includes Cardbus
    CompactFlash slot
    3. M2-ATX 160W PSU
    4. VoomPC enclosure
    5. 1GB Ram
    6. 40 GB laptop hard disk

    Now here are my questions:-

    1. Can i connect the ATX PSU directly to the car battery?
    2. I live in India and security aint the best here. Is there an LCD enclosure that i can build so that i can slide the screen away when not in use. Prefer it to be on the dash so i can access it easily.
    3. Where is the best place to keep the CPU to avoid overheating and vibration?
    4. I have a music pioneer head unit connected to 4 channel amp. Can i connect the PC to this to amp my sound and how is it done?
    5. Does anyone have any documentation on hwo theyinstalled the same components that i have.

    These are my initial questions for now. If any one has any tips and advise for now I would appreciate it.

    Thanks a ton
    Viren

  • #2
    here's a detailed pdf of 150 pics.
    link taken from this thread http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78465
    the components are similar to your setup.
    the m2atx manual should have a wiring diagram for your reference.
    most of your q's are covered in the faq section, http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106

    what car are you installing your carpc in ? if possible post a pic of ur dash.

    btwn heres an indian source for carpc components, www.iRide.in

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by virengoyal View Post
      Hi Guys,

      Im new to the whole experience of setting up a carPC. I know there are lot of threads already floating around about what queries i am about to post. But reading them has already caused confusion. SO I figured the best thing for me to do is to list out what i have and how I can get it done.

      What I currently Have :-

      1. VM7100 - 7" TFT-LCD Touchscreen Car Monitor
      2. VIA EPIA MII 10000
      VIA C3 E-Series
      1.0 GHz Processor
      Includes Cardbus
      CompactFlash slot
      3. M2-ATX 160W PSU
      4. VoomPC enclosure
      5. 1GB Ram
      6. 40 GB laptop hard disk

      Now here are my questions:-

      1. Can i connect the ATX PSU directly to the car battery?
      2. I live in India and security aint the best here. Is there an LCD enclosure that i can build so that i can slide the screen away when not in use. Prefer it to be on the dash so i can access it easily.
      3. Where is the best place to keep the CPU to avoid overheating and vibration?
      4. I have a music pioneer head unit connected to 4 channel amp. Can i connect the PC to this to amp my sound and how is it done?
      5. Does anyone have any documentation on hwo theyinstalled the same components that i have.

      These are my initial questions for now. If any one has any tips and advise for now I would appreciate it.

      Thanks a ton
      Viren

      Hi Viren,
      Good to see another person in India doing the same. I am currently in the middle of my build for a Toyota Innova and so far am thoroughly enjoying it. What car are you going to install it in ? Here are my views on your questions :

      1. You should be able to connect it to the battery and to an ON/OFF switch, ideally the ignition. I use an Opus and i know it does that, others will let you know the details on the M2. I do hope you have read all connecting the PSU.

      2. One thing you dont want to do is leave the LCD in plain sight. How are you mounting it ? If you are just sticking it on the dash that will be highly risky. If you will be sticking it in and out of an enclosure, it might be inconvenient. It may make more sense to build it into your dash. Its a little more difficult to steal with a quick grab but yes it still can be stolen. I have fabbed a dash with the LCD built in.

      3. There is probably no perfect place. You can see various options, glovebox, under seat, boot. What car ?

      4. If your HU has an AUX connectivity then you can, otherwise if you arent using a changer, you can use a changer connector to get into your HU. Not the ideal solution but you could also use rca splitters on your amp and connect the car pc audio directy to the amp.

      5. There is TONS of info. I spent 2 months reading and soaking in everything before i decided what to buy and how to approach the install. Read the forum, there is lots of good info.

      cheers.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ankur View Post
        Hi Viren,
        Good to see another person in India doing the same. I am currently in the middle of my build for a Toyota Innova and so far am thoroughly enjoying it. What car are you going to install it in ? Here are my views on your questions :

        1. You should be able to connect it to the battery and to an ON/OFF switch, ideally the ignition. I use an Opus and i know it does that, others will let you know the details on the M2. I do hope you have read all connecting the PSU.

        2. One thing you dont want to do is leave the LCD in plain sight. How are you mounting it ? If you are just sticking it on the dash that will be highly risky. If you will be sticking it in and out of an enclosure, it might be inconvenient. It may make more sense to build it into your dash. Its a little more difficult to steal with a quick grab but yes it still can be stolen. I have fabbed a dash with the LCD built in.

        3. There is probably no perfect place. You can see various options, glovebox, under seat, boot. What car ?

        4. If your HU has an AUX connectivity then you can, otherwise if you arent using a changer, you can use a changer connector to get into your HU. Not the ideal solution but you could also use rca splitters on your amp and connect the car pc audio directy to the amp.

        5. There is TONS of info. I spent 2 months reading and soaking in everything before i decided what to buy and how to approach the install. Read the forum, there is lots of good info.

        cheers.
        Hey Ankur,

        Thanks for the info..Im tweeking my esteem. I agree keeping the lcd in the open aint wise. I was looking for designs so that i can fabricate something that can swivel and go inside the dash, So when i need i can pull it out else it just stays in. This way i dont attract too much attention.

        Hows it going with the Innova?? where are you located??

        Im in bangalore..if we are int he same city it would be great to chat and come up with some crazy ideas...

        I have been ridiculed by my friends for trying something crazy like this...im out to set an example that this will work and i need all the help i can.

        Keep posting.

        Cheers

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey ankur,
          thanks for your mail. would like to see some pics of what you have done so far. If you have any documents that you think will help me out. Please do send them to me.

          keep posting

          Comment


          • #6
            Come on people help me outtttttttttt Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee./ Give me documents that will help me out here.

            Comment


            • #7
              You want a manual that simply doesn't exist.
              Read teh manuals and the documentation that came with all of your components . It's really all you have.

              I also suggest doing reading in the FAQ Emporium here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?



              Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

              Comment


              • #8
                what OS are you gusy using and whats the software UI?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by virengoyal View Post
                  what OS are you gusy using and whats the software UI?
                  You need to do some reading.
                  There's a great forum called SHOW OFF YOUR PROJECT. It's the best place to look if you want to know information about peoples' setups, software, etc.

                  Eerything you're asking has been asked many times over. AS such, there is a section called the FAQ Emporium, which I linked to above. Many mp3car.om members have created a number of informational writeups to answer your questions.

                  Go read.
                  Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                  How about the Wiki?



                  Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    patience my friend

                    Originally posted by virengoyal View Post
                    what OS are you gusy using and whats the software UI?
                    first off, Viren, have patience - really!!!! It will help you start and complete the project smoothly. You have started by gathering all you need.

                    I will do my best to answer your questions but keep in mind on how general they are (your questions)

                    1. Can i connect the ATX PSU directly to the car battery?
                    yes and no. Some people connect to the cigarette lighter. I myself connect to the A/C or radio to the line which gives 12v. Although it is not the best recommendation, i feel these lines are connected to the fuse box which provide a small protection against overload if any.

                    2. I live in India and security aint the best here. Is there an LCD enclosure that i can build so that i can slide the screen away when not in use?
                    yes. however, i'm no expert in this area which i consider "fabrication". You will need to fabricate a look and design to get what you want. I would simple create a velcro "board" the size of the screen and cover it when you're not using it. It's the simplest way to go.

                    3. Where is the best place to keep the CPU to avoid overheating and vibration?
                    Unfortunately, there is no place. The car acts as an oven when it's parked directly in the sun.There's no way to avoid this. Vibration also cannot be avoided. What you want to consider is the bumps moreso than vibration. What i do is lie my pc under the passenger seat which is carpeted and cushiony protecting it from light bumps and vibration.

                    4. I have a music pioneer head unit connected to 4 channel amp. Can i connect the PC to this to amp my sound and how is it done?

                    You are referring to plugin your pc audio into the auxilary input of your existing pioneer system. If you system has an auxilary input you're good to go. IF not you have to ask your local audio system shop about this. You may have to purchase (if necessary) a harness which interfaces into your system providing an auxilary line.


                    5. what OS are you gusy using and whats the software UI?

                    I use WinXP and Roadrunner FrontEnd. Now Roadrunner is an application which controls pretty much everything your pc including GPS, Cell Phone, MP3 music folder, Video folder, DVD player, Weather, Internet, XM/Sirius Satellite radio, FM Radio, ect. RoadRunner is free and skinnable (very cool perk). I use the Blue Devil Skin which i'm very happy with.

                    Here are the links to RoadRunner and Blue Devil Skin for you to learn more:

                    RoadRunner

                    Blue Devil Skin

                    Here's a picture of my MIC in action with Blue Devil Skin:

                    CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
                    Atom - 1.8ghz
                    2GB Ram
                    32GB SSD
                    8" TouchScreen
                    5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability


                    Finished Project
                    Car Hacking
                    WorkBlog
                    Video

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey thanks a lot for taking the effort. I know some of my questions are lame. But i feel its best to ask them to get things right the first time.
                      You set up looks sweet.

                      Do you have a problem with the viewing angle fromt he drivers seat??? Or have you provisioned that.

                      Appreciate your feedback. I plan to document the whole process for the benifit of other new comers to this.

                      Cheers

                      V

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by virengoyal View Post
                        Hey thanks a lot for taking the effort. I know some of my questions are lame. But i feel its best to ask them to get things right the first time.
                        You set up looks sweet.

                        Do you have a problem with the viewing angle fromt he drivers seat??? Or have you provisioned that.

                        Appreciate your feedback. I plan to document the whole process for the benifit of other new comers to this.

                        Cheers

                        V

                        viewing angle? no

                        sun light? yes

                        i would like to tint my windows in hope of better viewing on the screen and lower the glare.
                        CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
                        Atom - 1.8ghz
                        2GB Ram
                        32GB SSD
                        8" TouchScreen
                        5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability


                        Finished Project
                        Car Hacking
                        WorkBlog
                        Video

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am from India too. Well my parents are from New Delhi. I was born in Boston.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            well how has centrafuse worked for all of you out there...relate to customization of the UI

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by virengoyal View Post
                              are there any cracks available for digitaldash or centrafuse???
                              Jeez, please dont ask for this. The developers have spent long hours and lots of their money developing their front ends. If you dont want to pay, stick to the free front ends.

                              You wont get much help if you go down this path.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X