Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help, wanting to get into the hobby to help a friend out.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help, wanting to get into the hobby to help a friend out.

Ok I have been telling my friend that I am going to do something to her car that no one else has (around here at least). I finally came up with the idea of putting a Carputer in it. She has a 2005 mustang. I am planning on getting a Pentium 3 computer with 512MBs of RAM, around 1.0GHz. I am fairly experienced with building computers, I have built 3 from scratch. I will probably build a custom case out of plexi glass and store it in the trunk or under the passenger seat. I plan on putting some type of DVD Reader in it. I dont know if it is possible or not but is there anyway to copy a cd straight to the Carputer from the dvd drive? Not sure if there is any software that supports this. Also I dont plan on getting a laptop HDD since they are more expensive, I am thinking a 120GB or 160GB 7200 RPM HDD. Gonna get a cheap Audigy 2 soundcard and probably a wifi adapter. I will probably go with the Lilliput LCD Touchscreen. But I might rather go with the Xenarc In dash monitor. I would rather go with an In Dash device since it is not my car and I dont want to have dash panels out of the car for days upon days while mounting the LCD in it. I plan on running Windows XP Home edition with some media software.

This will mostly be used for music, maybe a movie every once in a while but not often. No GPS or anything ATM. Maybe internet browsing if she is parked around somewhere with wifi.

How long does it usually take to install a carputer? I can have the computer itself up and running with the software in about 6 hours MAX. She is wanting it done before christmas break is over, January 5. She isn't wanting to spend a lot right now and just get the basics and add more later. So if I get the computer for free and just need a HDD, power supply, startup controller and monitor, do you think I could have it built for under $500 if I use the Lilliput and under $600 if I use the in dash?

I dont know if it is possible or not but is there anyway to copy a cd straight to the Carputer from the dvd drive?
    Yes, it is possible.

How long does it usually take to install a carputer?
    Depends on your skill level, knowledge of yur car's electricals and the complexity of the install. A simple installation could be done in a weekend.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

the research needed however if you're going to go custom built will take a lot longer than a weekend.

If you don't have the time, get a preconfigured system or even an Infill T3 depending on how much money you have.
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Hey 350z Setup Here

Originally posted by leglez View Post
        Ok I have been telling my friend that I am going to do something to her car that no one else has (around here at least). I finally came up with the idea of putting a Carputer in it. She has a 2005 mustang. I am planning on getting a Pentium 3 computer with 512MBs of RAM, around 1.0GHz. I am fairly experienced with building computers, I have built 3 from scratch. I will probably build a custom case out of plexi glass and store it in the trunk or under the passenger seat. I plan on putting some type of DVD Reader in it. I dont know if it is possible or not but is there anyway to copy a cd straight to the Carputer from the dvd drive? Not sure if there is any software that supports this. Also I dont plan on getting a laptop HDD since they are more expensive, I am thinking a 120GB or 160GB 7200 RPM HDD. Gonna get a cheap Audigy 2 soundcard and probably a wifi adapter. I will probably go with the Lilliput LCD Touchscreen. But I might rather go with the Xenarc In dash monitor. I would rather go with an In Dash device since it is not my car and I dont want to have dash panels out of the car for days upon days while mounting the LCD in it. I plan on running Windows XP Home edition with some media software.

This will mostly be used for music, maybe a movie every once in a while but not often. No GPS or anything ATM. Maybe internet browsing if she is parked around somewhere with wifi.

How long does it usually take to install a carputer? I can have the computer itself up and running with the software in about 6 hours MAX. She is wanting it done before christmas break is over, January 5. She isn't wanting to spend a lot right now and just get the basics and add more later. So if I get the computer for free and just need a HDD, power supply, startup controller and monitor, do you think I could have it built for under $500 if I use the Lilliput and under $600 if I use the in dash?
        MINE RAN ABOUT 6 BILLS I GOT A USED LAPTOP P3 866 WITH 512 MEGS OF RAM AND A 80 GIG DRIVE AND GOT A PC CARD DRIVE FOR THE SCOUND CARD AND ALSO RUNING WIFI MUSIC AND MOVIES I DOWNLOAD I LOVE THE SET UP THE SET UP WITH A LAPTOP I THINK IS BETTER BECASUE IT CUTS OUT ALOT OF ISSUES SHE MIGHT HAVE. YOU KNOW WHEN BUILDING A COMPUTER ITS DIFFERNT WITH A LAPTOP UNPLUG IT AND TAKE INSIDE AND SEE WHATS WRONG WITH A CUSTOM BUILT SYSTEM IT COULD BE MANY THINGS AND IF ITS A PERSON WHO KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT COMPUTERS OTHER THEN E MAIL IM AND ALL THE BASIC THINGS THEN YOU MIGHT HAVE PROBLEMS IN THE LONG RUN.
        IBM X23-P3 866MHZ 512 MEGS, 100GIGS 7INCH TOUCH SCREEN LILLIPUT USB 802.11G LINKSYS, USB BLUETOOTH ADAPTER

Comment

Working...
        X