Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop, Composite video out, $40 Emerson LCD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop, Composite video out, $40 Emerson LCD?

Ok... I've got an older tiny laptop (2 366) with composite out (NTSC/PAL). It's a Gateway Solo 3150 (Link to specs) with 160mb of RAM.

Geeks.com has a $40 Emerson LCD display. The resolution is only 480x230.

I would not be using the laptop display. It would be tucked under the passenger seat. Was thinking of using a USB i/r remote to control it. It would be used as an MP3 player only. I'd be using output from the headphone jacks to an aux-in adapter connected to my Eclipse CD5425 head unit.

Would this setup be worth attempting? I have a feeling it would be difficult to get it to display properly, and I'm not entirely sure how much functionality I'd be able to get out of. But, since I'm a complete noobie to anything carpc related, I figured this would be the place to ask.

My goal is to have all 100gb of my MP3s available in my car and have a nice sized display so show what's playing. My other option would be to use a 4x20 LCD with Winamp plugins and I/R for control.

Input appreciated.

Ooh, I like the cost. I'm pretty poor and this would be a nice solution. Anyone know if text would be readable on it(non-VGA)? With my setup I want it to be more progressive than all at once, starting with just GPS and some other things so this might be perfect. (sorry for mini thread hijack)

I think the attempt is worth it, unless anyone else disagrees.
    -------
    I'm hungry

Comment

The screen will barely be readable at 640x480. I ran a 5" composite screen for years. Ran winamp in doublesize mode and it was bareable for winamp, but for something like GPS the text was unreadable (but I could still git the gist from just the pictures).

And as far as a remote goes, I'd recommend a usb rf remote (such as the ati remote wonder, can be used with girder) so that you don't need line of sight to use the remote. Again, I used a ir (serial) remote for years, and while it worked quite well, it only worked quite well for me when i was sitting in the drivers seat, as the ir receiver was mounted on my steering column. That could be lessened by putting the receiver somewhere else, but with my rf receiver, i no longer even need to be in the car to have it work. You should hopefully be able to find a rf solution for ~$30.

Edit: And I actually have a 2x40 parallel lcd with backlight and 4 gpo's that I bought forever ago and wired up but never put to use. Many people are all about the biggest VGA/SVGA (etC) touch screen that you can buy, but I still love those using character lcds. The character lcd's however have their problems too, some are shared with other components (eg operating temperature envelope) but also controlling the intensity of the backlight (as well as the type of screen/backlight setup, whether its transflective or reflective etc).
      -Nick

Comment

Yea the low resolution will be the downfall.
        Thats why we all use something that has VGA input not composit.

It may work for some video but all the letters would be hard to make out.
        10 acura TL tech
        10 BMW S1000RR

Comment

if your really that poor, is it not possible to rip apart the laptop and use its actual screen on the dash?

Comment

Most laptop screens likely would suck in a car. Glare and terrible viewing angle...
            -------
            I'm hungry

Comment

Also, even if it is an older tiny laptop, odds are it still has at least a 10" screen, if not larger, and seeing as its a struggle to fit a 7" into a car, anything larger generally requires some major work.
              -Nick

Comment

Working...
              X