Combatting Cable Distance Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combatting Cable Distance Issues

I was considering placing the box for my PC in the trunk of my vehicle. I have read various issues about the USB, sometimes the display, and other functions not working properly when cables are forced to be ran from the trunk to the dash.

I am curious as to how you all combat these issues.

I was considering placing a USB hub in the center of my vehicle to act as a sort of device extender but I am unsure if this will necessarily solve my problem.

Any further information would be great.

Thanks!!

USB has a pretty good max length and shouldn't be a problem, but an active (powered) hub would help as an extender.

VGA extends well if you're using a good cable (the kind that can handle [email protected]). I'm using a quality one from a KVM and it extends up to 25 feet just fine.
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

Most cable will work fine from a trunk to your dash the only ones that i know that wont work very well are older printer cables.

Comment

So could I just run the USB and VGA from the trunk directly to the dash without a USB hub?

Comment

Originally posted by supaneko View Post
          So could I just run the USB and VGA from the trunk directly to the dash without a USB hub?
          correct.

However, if you ever had an issue with distance, you can use a USB Repeater like this one: http://www.cablewholesale.com/specs/uc-50200.htm

this probably will not happen in a car, unless you're driving a stretch limo or have a serious web of wiring.
          <[[][][][][][][][][][][][]>
          Progress:99% not 100% because theres always something to do...
          Centrafuse on XP (lited)
          EN15000
          120GB 2.5" SATA HD
          1GB DDR2 Ram
          M2-ATX PS
          Slot-Load DVD
          BU-353 GPS w/Mappoint 2k6
          DWW-700M

Comment

I'm shocked! So, what's up with these stories I've read about how people are having issues with their touchscreens and DVD-ROM drives not working when the USB cable is being ran from the front of the vehicle to the trunk?

Hmm... Is it possible that the USB devices would perform slightly different since the distance is greater than six feet?

Comment

Where did you see these stories of problems? I have lots of USB in my car, with 16 feet being the longest. I have no USB problems whatsoever. I think some of the problems might be the difference between bus powered or external powered devices?
              ...it never ends

Comment

I think getting GOOD shielded cables is very important. I personally was too cheap to buy USB and VGA cables, so I made my own out of ethernet. Initially, I got major VGA flicker, and the most annoying when my USB signal would drop out and connect every few seconds. I managed to correct these problems, and I am still using my cheaply made cables with no problems. However, getting good cables in the first place wouldve made life much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by supaneko View Post
                  I'm shocked! So, what's up with these stories I've read about how people are having issues with their touchscreens and DVD-ROM drives not working when the USB cable is being ran from the front of the vehicle to the trunk?

Hmm... Is it possible that the USB devices would perform slightly different since the distance is greater than six feet?
                  This is regarding the Centrix slot-load dvd drive. This is not a distance issue but rather a power issue since it is USB powered. (data and power through 1 USB cable)
                  <[[][][][][][][][][][][][]>
                  Progress:99% not 100% because theres always something to do...
                  Centrafuse on XP (lited)
                  EN15000
                  120GB 2.5" SATA HD
                  1GB DDR2 Ram
                  M2-ATX PS
                  Slot-Load DVD
                  BU-353 GPS w/Mappoint 2k6
                  DWW-700M

Comment

16' is the limit without providing more power, like a powered USB hub.

I think the issues that are appearing are from users not properly installing their systems.
                    Jan Bennett
                    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I'm curious as to how one would go about wiring the power for the USB device to the car's own internal power. Wouldn't the voltage coming directly from the battery be too high for the devices (isn't USB 5v whereas a car is typically 13v?)?

Comment

That's why POL products exists: http://store.mp3car.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=10
                        ...it never ends

Comment

there are quite a few threads about how to power USB hubs....most of the time, using the 5v rail on your PSU is sufficient.
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                          X