Dilemma about system specs...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilemma about system specs...

Hi, after about two years of reading up and drooling over people's setups i finally took the effort to put together my sytem but i'm having problem powering the system since the spare mobo and psu i have are pretty power hungry... I've spent 2 year pleading and begging to be allowed to put a carpc into my car and have finally got the permission to do it... I am on a limited budget and i know CHEAP and CARPC are two words that don;t go together but after spending so much on my car i would like to save as much as i can...

Here is what parts i have laying around for use...

1. Intel Motherboard integrated Video with a Pentium 4 2.6ghz- a little crazy i know...

2. Indash Non-Motorized 7" vga touchscreen...

3. Pioneer DEH-7800MP with Aux input for audio...

4. 1GB PC-3200 ram

5. 100GB Western Digital Drive

6. 1GB Compact flash

7. PCI Dlink WiFi Card

8. USB Bluetooth

9. Bluetooth GPS

I don't know what to use to power the thing I was planning on using a M2-ATX but many people have said that would be impossible since the P4 requires a ton of power... I think i might have another older P4 under 2.0ghz or an old celeron or athlon setup laying around somewhere... but those im not sure if i still got it or if they are still working...Someone suggested using a shutdown controller + inverter but i heard thats a horrible way to power the system...

so what do you guys think should i look for another system and get the m2atx or should i go the inverter route???

you will definately need either an Opus 250 or a DSATX to power the P4. Not cheap solutions.

So you must way it this way:

Free P4 + $200 PSU = Cost of $200
    EPIA Board $125 + $80 PSU = Cost of $205.

Either way, that is the simplest way of putting it.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

what about an old 1.6ghz athlon ??? would an m2-atx be able to power that???

Comment

Maybe. Check a power supply calculator. Also it all depends what you will be running with it.

Is that 100Gb drive a 2.5" or 3.5"?
        How many PCI cards total?

Check the FAQ for a few power supply calculators, and a guide. Or just google.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I don;t have the athlon cpu and board with me right now so i'm not even sure it even has an onboard video card so i have to assume atleast 1 agp slot... I would like to use a pci wifi card but i also have a wifi usb stick if needed...

The harddrive is a 3.5" but i am thinking of using the CF card as my main drive so it will be more stable on bumpy roads... i just gotta go see if the local store still has the cf to ide adapters for cheap.

Comment

Actually, the P4 2.6 draws 70w or so.
            There is enough power for what you list, but it's definitely pushing the envelope of the M2.
            Don't bother looking for the 2.0Ghz P4, as it suchs about 20% more power than the 2.6Ghz model.

Your CPU/mobo/PSU choice is OK. I'd check the power draw of all your other proposed hardware to make certain you're not pushing the M2 too far.
            If it doesnt' work out, the DSATX is an awesome unit.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

only 70w? hmmm the athlon draws about either 57w or 66w according to the power calculator so i guess i;ll be keeping the pentium 4... I guess i won't need to find another graphic card as the mobo has integrated graphics so that'll save me a couple of watts... and i guess i can elimate the dvd drive after i install xp since 99% of the time i won't be watching a movie while driving... i wonder if i can underclock the 2.6 since i read somewhere that it has limited speedstep technology...

what else can i eleminate that will save me more watts usage...What about powering the touchscreen from the fuse box? Ive got this adapter that lets me tap into the fuse box of my car to give me 12v...ive been using it to power my 8 cold cathodes might be a pain to have to turn it on but if it saves me a few bucks i can learn to live with that... how many watts does the average lcd consume anyways?

p4 - 89w at full load
              hardrive -25w
              motherboard -25w
              ram -10w
              usb bluetooth -5w
              usb wifi- 5w
              usb touchscreen - 5w

around 170ish at absolute full load ... does that sound right??? how often does a computer ever reach full load? i mean it;s not like im playing Fear or anythign crazy on my car pc... or am i being too hopefully about the m2-atx powering all this???

Comment

You should read this: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68636
                How about the Wiki?

Comment

Hi Tekka, DP is right, you will be fine running that p4. I have two p4's (2.6&2.4) in my vehicles. The 2.4 has a ati 9250 video only because the motherboard has no video support and it was the only video card I had laying around at the time. Both cars have m-2 power supplys.

Comment

really thats awesome u got like an AIM sn so i can ask u questions about the m2-atx? i'm really excited since i am ready to order the final pieces of my carpc

Comment

Hi, no aim sorry, but you can pm me on here and I will be happy to help you any way I can.

Comment

I do, but I don't give it out.
                        I loathe AIM and I have it only to be in touch with certain people who only use AIM.

Feel free to PM me, as well.
                        How about the Wiki?

Comment

all information about the M2 can be found in this forum. For instance, a good place to start would be the PowerSupply sub forum...http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11
                          Jan Bennett
                          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
                          X