No announcement yet.

Just looking to play music

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just looking to play music

I'm essentially looking to put an ipod in my Jeep, but I would like to piece everything together myself.

My latest thought is a basic computer hard drive, a small screen to browse through folders, and perhaps tapping my cruise control to scroll up/down and select.

At the moment I'm considering two options:

1: I have a Pioneer 3700MP headunit with an optional ipod input cable, so an ipod may be a good starting point.

What are everyone's thoughts on buying an ipod with a damaged hard drive, tearing it apart, wiring up a computer hard drive, and remote mounting the screen? I haven't thought about input yet though, Pioneer ipod control isn't very well thought out and I'd like to do something else.

2: Assemble a basic computer set up to accomplish the same thing.

I don't want a full blown car pc or an enormous screen. I drive a Jeep Wrangler, during the summer I will have the top down and my doors unlocked. I'm just looking for the best way to wire up a decent sized hard drive and a way to scroll through and select the music I put on it.

Just get this:

Ipod connection, screen, browse your music like you're using your Ipod. Quickest easiest solution for you.

Except for the $450 price tag and having to buy the ipod that goes with it.

Literally minutes (if not seconds) after I posted, I ran across this in another thread. I was planning to describe something like this as my second or third option, but I didn't think it even existed.

I'm now thinking the proper media enclosure and a small screen would just about be my dream set up. I'd have to figure out a way to mount it so it can be removed fairly easily to update, but that also gives it the cool factor of hooking it up to a tv and watching movies.

I'm starting to research my options and I have a few questions-

What's the proper name for this? Media enclosure, multimedia enclosure? How do I prevent only finding external hard drive enclosures for computers?

Where would be a good place to find a basic ~4 inch screen? The mp3car store's smallest is 7. I just want to be able to browse through folders and see the current song info, and a large screen kills the stealth effect I pride myself in and rely on for security.

And, of course, does anyone have experience with these? Maybe not for car use, but perhaps home?

There are now some HUs that can read USB drives...flash drives anyway...don't know about HDs.
        current projects