Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planned Car PC Components - Suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planned Car PC Components - Suggestions?

I have been wanting to build a CarPC for quite a while now, and am finally going to do it. I have been picking components for the past week or so, and the following is what I have come up with. Please let me know if these are good components, or if you have suggestions. Also, I am looking for a way to reduce the cost, so suggestions in that area would be great as well.
    • OPUS 120 watt DC-DC power Supply DCX3.120
    • M2-ATX 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU $50.00 used
    • Intel BOXD945GCLF2 Dual-Core Atom 1.6GHz $80.49
    • Intel D201GLY2A Motherboard w/Celeron 1.2GHz CPU $47.99
    • Sony Optiarc Slim DVD Burner AD-7590A-01 $49.99
    • WD Scorpio Black WD1600BEKT 160GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA $64.99
    • Seagate Momentus 5400.4 120GB SATA/300 $29.99
    • Lilliput 7" EBY701-NP/C/T VGA Touch screen $172.95
    • 1GB Crucial Ballistix Ram Already Own
    • Microsoft Pharos GPS-360 GPS Receiver Already Own
    • Random Bluetooth USB Dongle Already Own

This will all be going into a 2008 Kia Rio. I will be using the HU as an amp, and the screen will be fabricated into the dash.

Looks good to me. Some may argue to get an M2-ATX Power Supply instead, but that's personal preference.

I have an M2 and it's been great to me so I certainly recommend it but I'm sure the OPUS is great as well; many people use those.

I would suggest getting some type of wireless mini keyboard as well. I had a wired full sized keyboard in my back seat for the longest time and trust me it's a pain to use even the few times you do need to use it.

Otherwise, looks good!
    1995 AWD Tsi Talon

Intel D945GCLF
    M2-ATX
    2GB Corsair
    30GB OCZ SSD
    BU-353
    Lilliput EBY-701
    Logitech DiNovo Mini
    LSX VOID 3.3

Comment

Originally posted by KiaTuner View Post
      WD Scorpio WD1600BEVS 160GB 5400RPM SATA $59.99
      Excelent choice with the scorpios... I purchased the WD Scorpio Black for mine (16Mb cache as opposed to the 8Mb) from newegg. For the 160GB model it's only $5 more ($64.99 with free shipping), and that's double the cache, and I think it's worth it!

Sorry that's not a 'reduction in cost', but it is getting a bit more out of your money.
      Good luck with the build!

Comment

Thread moved to proposed setup.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

The only thing I would be worried about is that I've read some funny stories about the M series of power supplies causing RF interference. Now maybe it was just poor grounding, maybe it was a specific case, but I've almost never heard of OPUS RF interference. Just my thoughts.
          -SwiftDeath

Comment

I started buying components and managed to reduce some prices considrably by settling for a bit slower cpu/mobo combo & a refurbished seagate hdd, as well as a used M2-ATX
            • Power Supply: Saved $29.95 by going with a used M2-ATX.
            • Mobo/CPU: Saved $32.50 by going with a Celeron 1.2 embeded.
            • HDD: Saved $35 by going with a 120GB Seagate.

I'm also still debating on a screen. Th newer Lilli's look nice, and may be worth the money, especially considering I have saved $97.45 by going with some cheaper components for the actual system. Only thing left to buy is the DVD drive & Screen. Anyone have any used ones?

Comment

Latest Comonents

So here is what I have so far:
              • M2-ATX-HV 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU $50.00 Used on MP3car Frums
              • Intel D201GLY2A SiS662 w/Celeron 1.2GHz $43.19 Geeks.com
              • TEAC DW-224SL Slot Loading CDRW/DVD Combo $15.98 Ebay
              • Seagate Momentus 5400.4 120GB SATA/300 5400RPM $29.99 Geeks.com
              • 1GB Crucial Ballistix Ram $- Already own
              • Microsoft Pharos GPS-360 GPS Receiver $- Already own

Still to buy:
              • Lilliput 7" EBY701-NP/C/T VGA Touch screen $172.95 Ebay
              • DIRECTED DMHD1000 HD Radio Receiver $57.99 Ebay

I also still need to buy the bending brake to make the case, and a few other odds and ends, but so far the project is coming in way under budget. I placed a bid on the CD Rom Drive figuring I would be outbid ($9.99) and was amazed when I checked my email and had won it for the original price plus $4.99 shipping. Mo-Co-So is selling the same drive for $59.99 + shipping, so i got a great deal on it.

Comment

Originally posted by KiaTuner View Post
                So here is what I have so far:

[*]Intel D201GLY2A SiS662 w/Celeron 1.2GHz $43.19 Geeks.com

I know I am a noob here but I've heard very bad things about that motherboard.
                Specifically, horrible drivers.
                But for a carpc I don't know if it would matter...
                Noob Status:

Research : 50%
                Buy Parts : 10%
                Configure Parts : 0%
                Install Parts : 0%
                Money for Parts : 0% :P

Comment

That motherboard works fine as a carpc.

Comment

Okay.
                    I was just wondering, as I was considering getting that board, but my friend advised against it because of the SiS chipset.
                    I think I may put it back on my list if you say there won't be any problems.
                    Noob Status:

Research : 50%
                    Buy Parts : 10%
                    Configure Parts : 0%
                    Install Parts : 0%
                    Money for Parts : 0% :P

Comment

Yes, the on-board video is indeed crap but is fine for watching a dvd, winamp visualizers, or flash, which are about the most graphic intensive things I think anyone (or at least I) will do on a carPC, and for the price I can deal with the SiS chipset. If you dont mind paying double that, I'd go with one of the newer Atom boards. They run much cooler than this thing.

Comment

Working...
                      X