7" widescreen mounted overhead?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7" widescreen mounted overhead?

I am in the planning and parts gathering stages for my 1981 Buick Century station wagon carputer. I "could" fit a 1.5 DIn radion in the dash, maybe even 2 din if I could relocate the HVAC controls. But I was thinking of putting the touchscreen in a custom made overhead console. I searched around on the site, but most people seem to put them in the dash.

Anyone have pics?

I could probobly put it in the console that is going in, but it would be tilted up as such that it may have some bad glare. I found a member with a buick regal and a member with a cutlass wagon, but the posts were real old and their install pics are gone.

Here is my dash

I will also be keeping the HU for the first install. Since sometimes my drives are short, (no need to start the PC)and to keep the FM/AM/sirius set-up I already have.

Thanks guys.

Nobody uses an overhead set-up?

Comment

most touch screens come with a mounting bracket

you could mount this bracket to your headliner, or you could make an enclosure for it, search the show off your project section for "ford" there is someone that made a complete console for their screen

or you could use on of these
      http://cgi.ebay.com/Sunvisor-Set-wit...3%3A1|294%3A50
      and replace the lcd with a touchscreen or just add a touchscreen controller to the existing lcd
      Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

thats a buick centry??? @_@ dude thats a sick dashboard!!!! very nice sir... like the pillar gauges and hell all the other gauges as well LOL--- i didnt know centry's had that many things going on for that many gauges heheheh

if i remember correctly, you should have enough space to mount a dash top and not block much of your line of site if you were to have a semi-raised moulding in the front face by where your vents are--- half the monitor below the edge line and half of it above, make a fiberglass or plastic enclosure would look awesome with all those gauges
        98 Chevy Astro AWD

1969 Cadillac Deville

2009 HHR LS.... DEAD PROJECT!!

'97 Seville STS - SOLD ~_~

Comment

here's the link
          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...d-console.html
          Scion CarPC

Bluetooth Audio Gateway Tutorial

How to speed up boot with buried features in msconfig

Comment

I have been searching for 3 days now, using various queries. But I found a thread when a member mounted the TS over the rear view mirrow in his Jeep. I think that is the route I am going. I already had a custom made tweed covered overhead console for my El camino. It housed my Midland CB and SWR meter. Those 2 items were about 2 DIM or a little bigger. I loved having them up there. I figured I'll put the screen up high so the sun doesn't wash it out. (can't stand that). If it doesn't work out up there, I could move the HU up there and put the TS in the dash, recessed a little bit.

When I gather more parts I'll start a new thread. But right now I have some more research to do on the parts I want, GPS, etc..

Thanks

Comment

It has been done, but mainly with cars that already have the over head display. One thing you can do is maybe buy a sun visor screen, the only one I have seen is from Dashboard Devices. If you dont like that idea you can build one, I saw a jeep that had a screen and the PC built into the over head.
              Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
              4X MK808b
              3x Perixx Touchpads
              3x 7 inch Screens
              1X 7 inch motorized Screen
              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I saw a few pics of a jeep too, may have been the same one. I bought a carputer from a member, I have the 7 inch xenarc. I'll be ordering a replacement bezel, then i am gonna see how it fits up there.

I have fab skills. I fabbed my fiberglass doorpanels, my dash and all. So That isn't a problem. I just don't want the sun washing out the display.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by liquidh8 View Post
                  I saw a few pics of a jeep too, may have been the same one. I bought a carputer from a member, I have the 7 inch xenarc. I'll be ordering a replacement bezel, then i am gonna see how it fits up there.

I have fab skills. I fabbed my fiberglass doorpanels, my dash and all. So That isn't a problem. I just don't want the sun washing out the display.

Thanks
                  Another thing I would do is download google sketchup and build it virtually.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I seem too remeber one member with a infinty suv relocating the factory screen to the overhead console to fit a 10" screen-- searching..... here it is: Turbocad6's FX35 install:
                    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...o-oh-yeah.html

it might not be exactly what you are looking for, but you might be able to use some of the same ideas.
                    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                    carpc undecided

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                      I seem too remeber one member with a infinty suv relocating the factory screen to the overhead console to fit a 10" screen-- searching..... here it is: Turbocad6's FX35 install:
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...o-oh-yeah.html

it might not be exactly what you are looking for, but you might be able to use some of the same ideas.
                      I forgot to mention TurboCad's thread. The problem is, his came with the overhead. Turbo just swapped the screens out. Liquidh8 wants to build something from scratch.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I now have the screen, and the interior is coming out. So I'll get some cardboard and mock an overhead console, nothing fancy, just something to give me an idea on size.

In my last Elcamino, I had my midland CB radio, and a digital SWR meter in an overhead console I made. I think is was near dbl DIN in size and it looked great and didn't block my view.

I'll come back to this thread when I get the interior out in a few weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by liquidh8 View Post
                          I now have the screen, and the interior is coming out. So I'll get some cardboard and mock an overhead console, nothing fancy, just something to give me an idea on size.

In my last Elcamino, I had my midland CB radio, and a digital SWR meter in an overhead console I made. I think is was near dbl DIN in size and it looked great and didn't block my view.

I'll come back to this thread when I get the interior out in a few weeks.
                          Cant wait to see! Just remember to put reinforcement bars so over time it doesnt bow the roof.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I was thinking that! I have some aluminum bar stock in work, I was gonna tig a small mount and bolt it to the front roof brace by the windshield. I have to get it sitting in there to make sure it is blocking a whole lot! I think I'll like it up there! There aren't many people who mount there screen high. I just don't want glare, and I am not prepared to redo the dash until I know I am happy with the set-up.

Comment

I did just that:

But of course, I used the sunglass holder. Good luck with your install, keep us posted.
                              Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                              Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Working...
                              X