Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarPC budget challenge

Ok Car gods,

I have a challenge for you. I'm looking to set up a car pc in my new 2010 Camaro. Here are some things that it MUST have:

Flip down monitor
    BluTooth suppot
    GPS receiver
    Wireless Internet to link to my home network
    DVD/CD support
    Ipod jack
    Auto startup/shutdown
    5.1 surround sound support

Optional but preferable:
    A/V jack for optional gaming system
    Voice Control system

The challenge is my budget. I want to build it for under $800. I've posted this on a few other forums and gotten some interesting responses. I best so far has been:

1. VMI70 7inch IN-DASH VGA touchscreen Here - $280

2. Intel BOXD945GCLF w/ an integrated 1.6ghz Atom - Newegg.com - $65
    3. 1x2gb DDR2 800 Ram - Newegg.com - $23
    4. M1-ATX 90 Watt PSU - mp3car.com - $75
    5. BU-353 Weather-proof GPS Receiver - mp3car.com - $38
    6. cirago BTA-3210 USB 2.0 Micro Bluetooth Dongle - newegg.com - $15
    7. Ampie Car Computer Case - mp3car.com - $70
    8. Fujitsu MHW2080BJ 80GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA - newegg.com - $40
    9. Rosewill RNX-G1W 802.11b/g usb adapter - newegg.com - $20
    10.NEW Grand total - $625

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I already have the speaker assembly and amp covered through the Boston Acoustics 5.1 system that came with the car. I will also be using a USB dvd player for the initial set up, then sharing a drive on my home network to do future loads.

Darque: Great call on the touch screen, I missed that it didn't have vga. Let me know what you think of the above. No dvd player, but it is 1 din and has vga

What do you think?

Vzeed9oo

That touchscreen will not control the PC.
    Furthermore, you'd need composite video signal to go to that headunit and the motherboard you specified doesn't have a composite video out. Even if you get a device to convert the VGA signal to composite, the image quality will be at a low resolution and look sub-par at best.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

you'll need a center speaker for a true 5.1 sound effect. also, you'll probably need an aftermarket amp to connect it to your sound system too.

and then im not sure where you plan on mounting the screen because it doesnt look like you will be able to mount a single din or screen and make it look right....

EDIT: You also forgot a slot load dvd player. if you want something that can play dvds and not just cds it'll cost you. i think it'll beat least $80 for that, plus another 100 (at least) for the amps.
      Acer Netbook with 160hdd and 1.60 Ghtz atom - to be installed

Comment

Originally posted by Flaring_Afro View Post
        you'll need a center speaker for a true 5.1 sound effect. also, you'll probably need an aftermarket amp to connect it to your sound system too.

and then im not sure where you plan on mounting the screen because it doesnt look like you will be able to mount a single din or screen and make it look right....
        5.1 surround is pointless in a car, at least in many peoples' eyes.
        The OP didn't spec out any speakers at all.. No sub.. No left/right/front/rear or center.

EDIT: You also forgot a slot load dvd player. if you want something that can play dvds and not just cds it'll cost you. i think it'll beat least $80 for that, plus another 100 (at least) for the amps.
        The OP did spec a DVD headunit that would cover CD/DVD playback.
        It's not a good solution at all, which I pointed out. But he DID cover that part of the build.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
          The OP didn't spec out any speakers at all.. No sub.. No left/right/front/rear or center.
          I agree I dont think theres a point, but he said he wanted it. Also, I highly doubt the camaros come with a "5.1" system. It might have something like an 8 speaker setup, but i doubt it actually has a center speaker in the dash (could be wrong).

Look into the factory amp if you havent too. It might only have a high input (non rca) that a computer cant put out. Just because its called "bouston acoustic" doesnt mean it wil be like their aftermarket amps or even made by them. The "bose" systems arent really bose either. Just a heads up.

Comment

Troll Maybe?

No replies since his/her's post and have you even seen the Camaro's dash layout before starting a food fight over 5.1 audio?

Is there even a dash kit available???

I haven't seen a new Camaro inside yet, especially one with factory Navigation which I'm positive is an option.

Nobody has any idea what were working with here, so why comment????

Comment

^ no of course there isnt a dash kit available the car was only sold for a few months. that doesnt mean anything though. as i mentioned it would be hard but its possible to get a screen in there. he might even plan on a whole new custom dash for all you know. the camaro costs as much as a vette so people with them tend to have a good amount of money.

Comment

That touchscreen will not control the PC.
                Furthermore, you'd need composite video signal to go to that headunit and the motherboard you specified doesn't have a composite video out. Even if you get a device to convert the VGA signal to composite, the image quality will be at a low resolution and look sub-par at best.
                Darque is correct, neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr use RCA, the quality will be so bad. I know that you had a budget, but if you can have a screen molded into the dash.

Agree on the slot load DVD. Also when you have to add programs, the DVD slot will come in handy.

The OP did spec a DVD headunit that would cover CD/DVD playback.
                It's not a good solution at all, which I pointed out. But he DID cover that part of the build.
                I 100% disagree. I had 5.1 with center being phantom (what most Car PC use), and when I finally installed a real center, i could hear a difference. When I decided to upgrade to 7.1 surround sound the difference was even greater. All that was with [email protected] amps. I cant wait to see how it all sounds on PDX amps and good speakers.

Originally posted by djfourmoney View Post
                No replies since his/her's post and have you even seen the Camaro's dash layout before starting a food fight over 5.1 audio?

Is there even a dash kit available???

I haven't seen a new Camaro inside yet, especially one with factory Navigation which I'm positive is an option.

Nobody has any idea what were working with here, so why comment????
                LOL OMG.... Couls they have made a more awkward dash. Its nice that its retro, but [email protected]..... I do have an idea.... Maybe you can go with dashboard devices visor screens, that way no dash mods are needed, here is the link.

When you go to the page scroll down to the ENV-50c. All you would have to do is put the main part of the unit maybe in the glove box, then the screen as the driver visor.
                http://www.dashboarddevices.com/products.htm
                Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                4X MK808b
                3x Perixx Touchpads
                3x 7 inch Screens
                1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                1x Win 7 PC

Comment

^ no of course there isnt a dash kit available the car was only sold for a few months. that doesnt mean anything though. as i mentioned it would be hard but its possible to get a screen in there. he might even plan on a whole new custom dash for all you know. the camaro costs as much as a vette so people with them tend to have a good amount of money.
                  The camaro is less than half the cost of a vette and just about half with the options

Comment

^ almost every dealer was selling the V6 for over $36k, and the V8 for a lot more. There have been many threads circling around forums with people asking if they should get a C6 or a V8 camaro.

Comment

Supply and demand kinda sucks right now, especially with the car companies. MSRP direct from factory price is about $24,600 for the V6 and $31,000 for the v8. Still more expensive than the challenger and the mustang though

Comment

Originally posted by Vzeed9oo View Post
                        1. VMI70 7inch IN-DASH VGA touchscreen here - $280
                        Uh guys? I don't know if Vzeed9oo edited this post after you all were talking about Composite RCA connections, but screen linked is VGA compatible... it even comes with a VGA cord.

From the ebay listing:

Features:

7" TFT LCD XGA/VGA touchscreen color display
                        Resolution 720x400 to 1280x1024 (Native resolution: 800x480)
                        WIDESCREEN 16:9 aspect ratio
                        PAL/NTSC
                        Mount Type: in-dash (1-DIN)
                        Video Input: XGA/VGA input (15 pin D-SUB)
                        2 RCA video inputs
                        Display brightness (with touchscreen): 400cd/mē
                        6 month warranty
                        No radio built-in

Comment

Originally posted by Vzeed9oo View Post
                          EDIT: I forgot to mention that I already have the speaker assembly and amp covered through the Boston Acoustics 5.1 system that came with the car. I will also be using a USB dvd player for the initial set up, then sharing a drive on my home network to do future loads.

Darque: Great call on the touch screen, I missed that it didn't have vga. Let me know what you think of the above. No dvd player, but it is 1 din and has vga

What do you think?

Vzeed9oo
                          Oh geez, I is stoopid twofold - I somehow completely missed this part of the OP, and I'm still in the moderated comments limbo, so I can't edit my post immediately. Oh well.

Comment

My question is if you just bought a 2009 camaro which are going for around like $30000 why the need for a "budget" pc lol. well i guess if you spent all your money on the car lol.

Comment

I'm brand new here and researching equipment myself. I'm also trying to spend as little as possible but not go so cheap that I wind up upgrading 2 months from now

One thing I noticed about the parts list though is this...
                              When you take these 4 items (the barebones PC components) you really aren't saving any money by buying the parts...especially when you are paying shipping from 2 different suppliers.

2. Intel BOXD945GCLF w/ an integrated 1.6ghz Atom - Newegg.com - $65
                              3. 1x2gb DDR2 800 Ram - Newegg.com - $23
                              4. M1-ATX 90 Watt PSU - mp3car.com - $75
                              7. Ampie Car Computer Case - mp3car.com - $70

For about $20 more you could get THIS barebones kit, have a faster atom processor, and double the RAM.

Comment

Working...
                              X