n00b build help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n00b build help!

Ok I've been trying to read as much as possible and understand what will work and what I can build for a simple PC setup in my 06 TL.

Nettop Acer Aspire Revo AR1600: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218120545008 199.99

CarNetix CNX-CA-XSC4 (ACPI? direct connect to CNX-P1900): http://store.mp3car.com/product_p/cbl-053.htm 24.99

CarNetix CNX-P1900 Power Supply: http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-010.htm 99.95

Will that work?... (I haven't decided on a monitor yet..but I've been looking at a llilput backlit led 7")

25 views..and no insight?

Comment

if you want a "simple" setup, then I suggest using desktop hardware instead of a laptop.

And bumping your thread with a snarky 'tude after a mere 11 hours and only 25 views is pointless.
      25 views in this forum is nothing.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i usually let some threads go a day-- in your case, i don't use a laptop setup, and was giving a chance to the latop guys to better answer your questions.

i looks like that setup should be ok, but like i said, i don't like laptop setups-- the hardware is too propreitary for my tastes. for monitors, try looking at nonmotorized monitors-- all of the motorized ones, by any brand, seem to have issues alot.

in my experience, don't ever post on a forum if you need a answer right away, most forums i am on get better responses if threads are left for a couple days-- so all the 'experts'(myself included) can chime in. bumping your own thread, the same day, if not responding to others posts, usually turns away some of the better informed people...
        My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
        "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
        carpc undecided

Comment

Ok thanks for the advice..again I am a noob here..most of the other forums im on i get pretty good response considering the community

..also this is a nettop..so it is a desktop setup...not a laptop.

Comment

I think that thing looks pretty cool, should make a great carpc... I wouldn't get the power supply until I got the pc itself so you'll know what you need to run it... looks like it might just take one input voltage, could be anywhere from 16v-19v, depending & depending on how many amps it needs you may be able to run it on a car laptop power adaptor, don't see any helpful specs in your link as far as powering it...
            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

hmm.. what exactly do you mean laptop power adapter? Are you referring to the AC-DC Laptop power and seeing if the amp/volts will hold up?

If so, are you saying I can wire a DC Plug to the trunk and the adapter will hold up?

Sorry for all the questions..I just want whatever is the best solution/easiest.

Comment

no, I'm talking about a laptop dc/dc power adapter. say this thing runs on 16v, you could use a dc/dc supply for a laptop that runs on 16v to power it in the car...

this thing probably takes in one voltage only from the wall adapter & then internally drops it down to the 12v, 5v & 3.3v it runs on,just like a laptop does, so basically it has a dc/dc power supply already built in, but it takes a voltage larger than 12v as an input, like maybe 16v, or 18v, or 19v... these are just assumptions which is why you'd have to get it in your hands to be sure but I'm pretty sure judging by the form factor that this would be the case...

Comment

so if I use the laptop dc/dc adapter.. would i have to manual power on the pc?

Comment

Ok so i decided to make the leap. .. I purchased a 7" lillupt screen..and now planning on using that dc laptop adapter on the acer nettop (desktop version). However my question would be will i have to power off the unit manually every time? And when i take the key out is that a hard shut down? Assuming that wares down the unit...

Comment

you can use a seperate startup shutdown controller, or what I would do is buy a conventional dc atx power supply anyway , use it for startup shutdown control, it could also control the on-off of the laptop adapter, & it would have the added benifit of having a nice 5v power supply for usb periferals & a nice regulated 12v output that can be used for many things, including running your screen off it... of course, dependin on the voltage the unit runs at, it may be possible to run it off one of the carnetix supplies too, there are several ways to do it, but some sort of startup shutdown controller would be nice... of course you could also just extend the power button to within reach & initially just manually start up & shut down too by pressing the button, but eventually when you get everything working & set up your going to appreciate it coming on & going off automatically..

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6 View Post
                        you can use a seperate startup shutdown controller, or what I would do is buy a conventional dc atx power supply anyway , use it for startup shutdown control, it could also control the on-off of the laptop adapter, & it would have the added benifit of having a nice 5v power supply for usb periferals & a nice regulated 12v output that can be used for many things, including running your screen off it... of course, dependin on the voltage the unit runs at, it may be possible to run it off one of the carnetix supplies too, there are several ways to do it, but some sort of startup shutdown controller would be nice... of course you could also just extend the power button to within reach & initially just manually start up & shut down too by pressing the button, but eventually when you get everything working & set up your going to appreciate it coming on & going off automatically..
                        Hey well the power supply for the nettop is a separate power block very similar to what a laptop or netbook will use..so the atx power supplys not going to work.. is there another route? or am i missing something in regards to what you recommended it?

Or is it DC Plug (Cig power from laptop)---> M2-ATX 160W PSU------>Nettop? (is that how I would have to hook it up as?)

Comment

I do realize that it uses an external power brick, which is why my thought was to use a laptop adapter in the first place. yeah, an atx power supply will not just plug in, but that doesn't mean it can't still be used to control & power the system anyway, I have a fujitsu tablet embeded in my dash & control & supliment it with an atx supply... do you have the nettop yet? specifics are easier to discuss if you know the power requirements, on the brick it'll tell you at what voltage it runs & how many amps the brick can provide too, this info will help determine what your posibilities are...

Comment

After doing some more reading....I could be mistaken but considering the AR1600 has a power block..it wouldn't be the M2 ATX PSU considering it requires an ATX slot? the power block wouldn't be able to adapt to that..

So after doing some more research I am left with Carnetix 1900? According to that i'll be running a power, gnd, and ign to the 1900 then out from there requires 2 power and 2 gnd to the acer plug (mini acpi i believe its called)

Comment

here is your answer.
                              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/mp3c...interface.html
                              ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
                              2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5
                              >"Say what you mean and mean what you say"<

Comment

Working...
                              X