Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused Newbie

Hi everyone.

i am just starting to design my new car PC but having spent the last 3 hours reading around here I am a bit confused

I would be grateful if you could take a quick look at my shopping list & tell me if I have missed anything out or if you have any better choices.

Im planning on buying a ready built PC from the store

*http://store.mp3car.com/Budget_Bundl..._p/ccc-204.htm
    *USB Wi Fi Adpator
    *DSX12VD 140W DC-DC Regulator
    *BU-353 Weather-proof GPS Receiver
    *Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T 7" VGA Touchscreen with Backup Camera Wiring
    *Some form of AMP (Undecided yet)

The bit I am most confused about though is getting the bluetooth working, what is everybody else using to run it on theyre PCs?

I'm still not sure which O/S to use, it will be either XP Media Centre or Vista Ultimate & Will be running Centra fuse.

Any recommendations for Nav s/ware?

I am hoping to bring it all in for less than 500

Originally posted by UKZ View Post
    Hi everyone.

i am just starting to design my new car PC but having spent the last 3 hours reading around here I am a bit confused

I would be grateful if you could take a quick look at my shopping list & tell me if I have missed anything out or if you have any better choices.

Im planning on buying a ready built PC from the store

*USB Wi Fi Adpator
    *DSX12VD 140W DC-DC Regulator

The bit I am most confused about though is getting the bluetooth working, what is everybody else using to run it on theyre PCs?

I'm still not sure which O/S to use, it will be either XP Media Centre or Vista Ultimate & Will be running Centra fuse.

Any recommendations for Nav s/ware?

I am hoping to bring it all in for less than 500
    The mp3car bundle already has a DC-DC PSU, no need for the DSX12.

BU353 is a great gps receiver.

Many people dont use bluetooth because the stack is resource intensive and the phone control options on the PC well... suck. Centrafuse has a good option, and they have a list of suggested hardware as well I believe that work with their stack. (Bluesoleil I believe)

Your OS's are completey off. XP is a good choice, XPMC is not. The whole point of a frontend is that you never see the operating system. As such you want minimal bloat. XPMC is quite bloated and the only additional "features" it offers have no use in the car. Vista is bloated to begin with and will NOT run on that atom processor you chose. Barely anything will run on an atom processor. Win7 is better, but no need when you probably already have XP somewhere that you can use and most things are already built for XP.

If you are using Centrafuse, then it includes nav software. If you want to use RoadRunner (what I use and free), then you have to buy your own GPS software. I cant really give a good suggestion since the maps are specific to a region and in the land of the GBP, the US options wont help.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
      If you are using Centrafuse, then it includes nav software. If you want to use RoadRunner (what I use and free), then you have to buy your own GPS software. I cant really give a good suggestion since the maps are specific to a region and in the land of the GBP, the US options wont help.
      Doesn't Iguidance have a UK map coverage version? *shrug* ...maybe not.
      2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
      Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne613 View Post
        Inav/Iguidance (link to mp3store sold version) really can't be beat IMHO with Ride/Roadrunner.
        Yes, but that is North America only... I use iGuidance myself.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Yes, but that is North America only... I use iGuidance myself.
          Yeah, was just lookin' at that. Odd.. Of course I never had to worry about that fine print... Well, at least not at this time. =)
          2008 Ford Mustang GT/CS CARPC(99%)
          Software: Ride/Road-Runner, Digital FX skin 5.x, iGuidance 2011, GPSgate on Win7 64bit

Comment

The mp3car bundle already has a DC-DC PSU, no need for the DSX12.

BU353 is a great gps receiver.

Many people dont use bluetooth because the stack is resource intensive and the phone control options on the PC well... suck. Centrafuse has a good option, and they have a list of suggested hardware as well I believe that work with their stack. (Bluesoleil I believe)

Your OS's are completey off. XP is a good choice, XPMC is not. The whole point of a frontend is that you never see the operating system. As such you want minimal bloat. XPMC is quite bloated and the only additional "features" it offers have no use in the car. Vista is bloated to begin with and will NOT run on that atom processor you chose. Barely anything will run on an atom processor. Win7 is better, but no need when you probably already have XP somewhere that you can use and most things are already built for XP.

Thats a great help, thanks

Will run XP on it, I have a stripped down version of XP somewhere so that should work nicely on there. I already have centrafuse & have it running on my home PC at the moment.

So if I order

*USB Wi Fi Adpator

I should be good to go or have I missed something obvious out?

Comment

be careful with other peoples stripped down versions of any os-- they can sometimes remove things that they don't need, but you need for your application.

it is better to download nlite and strip down the os yourself, so that you can make sure that you have everything you need for your install.
              My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
              "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
              carpc undecided

Comment

Working...
              X