Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Nissan Altima Coupe

Hey Guys,

Getting ready to do a build in my car. I'm going to video log the entire build, and I'm gonna do a video on each step to highlight problems that people can encounter, and really to just show how to put a car computer in your car from nothing to something.

So I'm proposing this build:

- Nissan Altima In-dash Receiver Kit (from cruchfield)
    - Black Double Din ABS Frame For Lilliput 629-GL or EYB-701
    - ZOTAC G41ITX-A-E LGA 775 Intel G41 HDMI DVI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
    - Joycon EX Steering Wheel Control PC Interface
    - Intel core 2 duo E700 (2.93 ghz)
    - Intel 512AN_HMWG2 mini pci wifi
    - 2g of DDR2 800
    - DTA45 Internal Amplifier 4 x 35W For Nano ITX Enclosure
    - M2-ATX - Smart Automotive Power Supply
    - Locking morex 5677 case
    - Lilliput 669GL-70NP/C/T-5HB 7" HDMI, DVI, VGA High Brightness, 4 Wire Resistive Touch Screen
    - BU-353 GPS puck
    - CMOS Waterproof, High Resolution Backup Camera, License Plate Mountable
    - Andrea Electronics Superbeam Array Microphone Bundle SUMA
    - Nano Hi-Speed USB 2.0 Bluetooth Network adapter by Interlink
    - Centrafuse auto
    - Garmin Mobile PC
    - Intel x25 40gig SSD
    - mp3Car boomzbox HD radio
    - Windows 7 home premium

The one thing that is bugging me is the radio. I hear the boomzbox doesn't jive too well with CF. But the "better" solutions out there are EOL products. So I'm still looking for a solution for that :/

about time

the core2 is a little overkill for a normal carpc. doing some processor heavy stuff?(like audio processing?)

i don't really like the dta45 amp-- it is only 2 channel (yes you can setup your speakers in series/parallel, but i don't count this as a 4 ch amp..), and the reviews when bybyte released it aren't exactly good..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Well, I will be watching you, as I just got my new 2010 Nissan altima and planning to do the same. The only difference, I wanted to go with mini itx, but since I will be putting the computer in the trunk and a little bit concerned about heat issues I am going to get a micro atx with a slightly bigger case with better airflow. I am also planning to keep my computer speakers and will be using the asus sonar pci sound card.
      2005 Nissan Altima - Completed 2007
      2010 Nissan Altima - Coming Soon...

Comment

will the lilliput 669 fit in the frame?

Also, I second (as always) soundman's question on the needed cpu power. Knowing you though, you probably plan on editing and rendering video as your driving to work. ffmpeg ftw!
        Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
        Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
        Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

Originally posted by tripzero View Post

Also, I second (as always) soundman's question on the needed cpu power. Knowing you though, you probably plan on editing and rendering video as your driving to work. ffmpeg ftw!
          Unless the HB model has a different controller than the original 669 the lilliput will fit but the controller board is larger and then stock mounting holes wont work.

And as someone using a 3.02 E8400 in the car i say go for it. I dont regret the decision at all. I can use CF to nav while playing my MAME emulator on alternate screens. i rawk
          mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
          Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
          Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

I wasn't sure if it will fit, but I did send them an email asking them the same question at bybyte.com, will see what they say. Even if the holes do not line up, you can always find some ways to secure it, as long as the screen fits, you will be fine.

Got off early from work today and did a lot of research on my new carputer, will be putting up the specs on my worklog later.
            2005 Nissan Altima - Completed 2007
            2010 Nissan Altima - Coming Soon...

Comment

I just used a small bungee to secure the controller board in my install. No issues with it in close to a year now.
              mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
              Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
              Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Ok turns out your right the 669 5 wire controller board doesn't fit. So were gonna use a new 4 wire model which does fit.

I'm not so much an audiofile so putting the speakers in parallel should sound as good as the crappy stock (non bose) system. And if not, ill go find an amp. *shrugs*

Comment

Core 2 Duo is not overkill. Basically I consider it plaining for the future. Eventually programs will get more CPU taxing and I think using an ATOM is walking a fine line to obsoletion. Plus CF prefers big hungry dual core processors. On my test ATOM, I had to turn every to low in CF. With my now retired AMD Turion X2, CF was on high and looked and acted amazing.

Wait, so you never had a CAR PC in the car! How can you guys not have systems installed in your own vehicles. Thats like me saying I hate dogs, but working for PetSmart, lol.

Cant wait to see!
                  Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                    Wait, so you never had a CAR PC in the car! How can you guys not have systems installed in your own vehicles. Thats like me saying I hate dogs, but working for PetSmart, lol.

Cant wait to see!
                    Nah, its more like, you work at petsmart and a year later after the hazing period is over you get a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
                      Nah, its more like, you work at petsmart and a year later after the hazing period is over you get a dog.
                      Well people dare not haze me, all though I would enjoy it if the person is hot enough. I came prepared though, I have 4 dogs already, lol. Their not little dogs either!

Also, why not hunt down a Visteon or Directed HD radio and get a cable from Mitch?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                      4X MK808b
                      3x Perixx Touchpads
                      3x 7 inch Screens
                      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Edit - using the m2 atx not m3

Comment

Originally posted by optikalefx View Post
                          Edit - using the m2 atx not m3
                          Is that enough to power a C2D and all the USB devices?

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

oh yeah, you are running windows 7 and CF... yeah, you need the extra power...

As for software in general requiring more CPU power... that may be true on the desktop. It's certainly true in the video transcoding/rendering and gaming areas. However, in the car, I see more optimization than I do anything else. Look at MeeGo, every binary in the entire OS is compiled with optimizations for low power and the speed of the Atom CPU. Optimization is a huge issue in the forums. There are topics everywhere about it.
                            Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
                            Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
                            Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

oh yeah, you are running windows 7 and CF... yeah, you need the extra power...

As for software in general requiring more CPU power... that may be true on the desktop. It's certainly true in the video transcoding/rendering and gaming areas. However, in the car, I see more optimization than I do anything else. Look at MeeGo, every binary in the entire OS is compiled with optimizations for low power and the speed of the Atom CPU. Optimization is a huge issue in the forums. There are topics everywhere about it.
                              Yea, true..... there is also an area of people that are putting heavy CPU systems in their cars. Not as many as the Optimizers though. I just think his choice is odd. I have a ZOTAC also, but with the nVidia 9300 chipset. In the manual it states that the PC needs a PSU at least 200 watts or more. i dont know if Zotac just pulled that number out of their booties, but I sure took it to heart and plan to use a OPUS 360.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                              4X MK808b
                              3x Perixx Touchpads
                              3x 7 inch Screens
                              1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
                              X