Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Project - Rav4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First Project - Rav4

    Hoping this works and I haven't ending up posting this all twice.

    Vehicle: Toyota 2005 Rav4 4-door Sport

    CarPC
    Uses for the system
    • GPS navigation, my iPhone doesn't cut it in the bush
    • Phonecalls/SMS from iPhone 3Gs
    • Podcasts/audiobooks/some music from iPhone
    • Music collection either on SSD or connected iPod (if possible)
    • Rear view camera, parking the Rav is still a little interesting when you can't see your toeball or the front of the next car

    Could anyone suggest an amp that would work well with this setup, I want to plug into it a 12-16" subwoofer, a couple of 6x9s and the door speakers (that will probably need upgrading)?

    Thoughts, comments welcome, pictures as soon as the parts arrive, being in Oz the shipping is a pain.

    Ghostgum

  • #2
    1. the pico psu only accepts a 12v input. so it will not work in a car-- when a car is running, its voltage can vary from 5-15volts. check the m1, or m3 for a similar form-factor power supply..

    2.wintec ssd--no comment-- i use a ocz vertex, but i knew ocz was a good brand, so didn't research past that..

    3.screen and backup camera-- many will get a screen with a reverse wire input-- so when there is 12v on that wire, the screen will auto switch to the input where the camera is plugged in. don't know of many other solutions..

    4. i cannot find any info on any usb dongles that specifically state that they can be used to create a adhoc network.. i have had 3, and none of them did it(a el-cheapo, a hawking technologies, and now one with a via chipset-included w/ the zotac 9300-wifi board..) however: the netgear pcmcia wireless adapter that i have will do this-- i haven't tried it, but i remember it is in the settings..

    4.5. maybe i ought to start a poll, but i don't know if 802.11n is worth it yet for most areas-- it is a faster speed and distance, but it is also more expensive, and AFAIK, most hotspots are still only b/g, so it might not be worth it..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


    next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the advice, will go have a look at those power supplies.

      Ghostgum

      Comment


      • #4
        So with Soundmans advice thinking for power PWR-M3-ATX.

        Ghostgum

        Comment


        • #5
          As far as 802.11n, my car pc also has it. Thing is it is also backwards compatiable with B and G. N may be mainstream in the home, but as far as businesses, its only at G and will most likely stay that way because of cost. My setup also has an Access Point, and guess what, its B/G also. The only reason I stuck the N wi-fi adapter in it was because it worked with hibernation on my old setup.

          PS: Yea, you are better off going with a M3 if you need the form factor. Never use a PICO PSU in the car. Plus I dont think a PICO has a Start up and Shut down controller anyways.
          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

          1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
          1x Win 7 PC

          Comment


          • #6
            people have reported that the m3 does not have enough current on the 5V rail to run atom/ion boards. You might want to look into that before making your purchase.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Punky View Post
              people have reported that the m3 does not have enough current on the 5V rail to run atom/ion boards. You might want to look into that before making your purchase.
              My board runs great its an Atom D510 board linked below. I have the M3-ATX.

              http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153176
              Expert IT Administrator/Technician

              A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                1. the pico psu only accepts a 12v input. so it will not work in a car-- when a car is running, its voltage can vary from 5-15volts. check the m1, or m3 for a similar form-factor power supply..

                2.wintec ssd--no comment-- i use a ocz vertex, but i knew ocz was a good brand, so didn't research past that..

                3.screen and backup camera-- many will get a screen with a reverse wire input-- so when there is 12v on that wire, the screen will auto switch to the input where the camera is plugged in. don't know of many other solutions..

                4. i cannot find any info on any usb dongles that specifically state that they can be used to create a adhoc network.. i have had 3, and none of them did it(a el-cheapo, a hawking technologies, and now one with a via chipset-included w/ the zotac 9300-wifi board..) however: the netgear pcmcia wireless adapter that i have will do this-- i haven't tried it, but i remember it is in the settings..

                4.5. maybe i ought to start a poll, but i don't know if 802.11n is worth it yet for most areas-- it is a faster speed and distance, but it is also more expensive, and AFAIK, most hotspots are still only b/g, so it might not be worth it..
                13 year PC tech here and i completely agree with the OCZ SSD. I have the vertex in my setup as well. the 8" Lilliput screen i bought has the backup camera wire mentioned above. i don't use it but its easy enough to setup and the instructions for doing so are included in the box for the screen. I have a USB netgear WiFi dongle for WiFi tethering to my Moto Droid. Works great and its wireless G. In my opinion wireless N is not needed in the car setup.
                Expert IT Administrator/Technician

                A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by houndazs View Post
                  My board runs great its an Atom D510 board linked below. I have the M3-ATX.

                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153176
                  your board doesn't have the ion*, but looking back at the thread i saw, it doesn't appear the OP had ion either.
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...core-atom.html

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Punky View Post
                    your board doesn't have the atom.
                    huh?

                    Model

                    Brand
                    JetWay

                    Model
                    JNC94FL-510-LF

                    Combo Type
                    Motherboard/CPU Combo

                    Bundle

                    CPU
                    Intel Atom D510


                    With Cooler
                    Yes

                    Supported CPU

                    CPU Socket Type
                    BGA559

                    CPU Type
                    Intel Atom

                    Chipsets

                    North Bridge
                    Intel NM10
                    Expert IT Administrator/Technician

                    A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      sorry, edited, i meant ion.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Punky View Post
                        sorry, edited, i meant ion.
                        saw it
                        Expert IT Administrator/Technician

                        A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Is using the M3 for its size the only reason? Just get the M4 and call it a day. Yes its bigger, but it puts out a lot of amps on the 12V and 5V rail. Car PC setups mainly use USB devices, all which run on the 5V rail. I should know, mine has 31+ USB devices, and powering all of that has been a chore. The way I fixed the issue is put the hungry stuff on powered hubs with their own PSU units.
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                          1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Okay everything ordered and hopefully arriving this week, love the AUD.

                            Couple more questions about power from my reading.

                            Got an M3-ATX on the way (thankyou everybody for that suggestion), from the manual it appears that it has an SDC built-in. Am I right in this thinking?

                            Second question: Can I use the M3 to power the lilliput screen by just paralleling some wires into the 12V it is providing the Motherboard?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ghostgum View Post
                              Okay everything ordered and hopefully arriving this week, love the AUD.

                              Couple more questions about power from my reading.

                              Got an M3-ATX on the way (thankyou everybody for that suggestion), from the manual it appears that it has an SDC built-in. Am I right in this thinking?

                              Second question: Can I use the M3 to power the lilliput screen by just paralleling some wires into the 12V it is providing the Motherboard?
                              yup it has a SDC built in. all you have to do is move a jumper to change the settings for it. yes you can also use one of the unused power connectors to power the Lilliput screen, but i personally wouldn't and didn't. reason being (all due to your system specs) is that you could put too much of a power draw on the M3-ATX. unlikely but possible. what i did was buy a $4 cigarette lighter plug from an auto parts store and wired it to my ignition. works great turn my key 8" Lilliput comes on.
                              Expert IT Administrator/Technician

                              A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X