First Project - Rav4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Project - Rav4

Hoping this works and I haven't ending up posting this all twice.

Vehicle: Toyota 2005 Rav4 4-door Sport

CarPC
    Uses for the system
    • GPS navigation, my iPhone doesn't cut it in the bush
    • Phonecalls/SMS from iPhone 3Gs
    • Podcasts/audiobooks/some music from iPhone
    • Music collection either on SSD or connected iPod (if possible)
    • Rear view camera, parking the Rav is still a little interesting when you can't see your toeball or the front of the next car

Could anyone suggest an amp that would work well with this setup, I want to plug into it a 12-16" subwoofer, a couple of 6x9s and the door speakers (that will probably need upgrading)?

Thoughts, comments welcome, pictures as soon as the parts arrive, being in Oz the shipping is a pain.

Ghostgum

1. the pico psu only accepts a 12v input. so it will not work in a car-- when a car is running, its voltage can vary from 5-15volts. check the m1, or m3 for a similar form-factor power supply..

2.wintec ssd--no comment-- i use a ocz vertex, but i knew ocz was a good brand, so didn't research past that..

3.screen and backup camera-- many will get a screen with a reverse wire input-- so when there is 12v on that wire, the screen will auto switch to the input where the camera is plugged in. don't know of many other solutions..

4. i cannot find any info on any usb dongles that specifically state that they can be used to create a adhoc network.. i have had 3, and none of them did it(a el-cheapo, a hawking technologies, and now one with a via chipset-included w/ the zotac 9300-wifi board..) however: the netgear pcmcia wireless adapter that i have will do this-- i haven't tried it, but i remember it is in the settings..

4.5. maybe i ought to start a poll, but i don't know if 802.11n is worth it yet for most areas-- it is a faster speed and distance, but it is also more expensive, and AFAIK, most hotspots are still only b/g, so it might not be worth it..
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Thanks for the advice, will go have a look at those power supplies.

Ghostgum

Comment

So with Soundmans advice thinking for power PWR-M3-ATX.

Ghostgum

Comment

As far as 802.11n, my car pc also has it. Thing is it is also backwards compatiable with B and G. N may be mainstream in the home, but as far as businesses, its only at G and will most likely stay that way because of cost. My setup also has an Access Point, and guess what, its B/G also. The only reason I stuck the N wi-fi adapter in it was because it worked with hibernation on my old setup.

PS: Yea, you are better off going with a M3 if you need the form factor. Never use a PICO PSU in the car. Plus I dont think a PICO has a Start up and Shut down controller anyways.
          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
          4X MK808b
          3x Perixx Touchpads
          3x 7 inch Screens
          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

people have reported that the m3 does not have enough current on the 5V rail to run atom/ion boards. You might want to look into that before making your purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by Punky View Post
              people have reported that the m3 does not have enough current on the 5V rail to run atom/ion boards. You might want to look into that before making your purchase.
              My board runs great its an Atom D510 board linked below. I have the M3-ATX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153176
              Expert IT Administrator/Technician

A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

Comment

Originally posted by soundman98 View Post
                1. the pico psu only accepts a 12v input. so it will not work in a car-- when a car is running, its voltage can vary from 5-15volts. check the m1, or m3 for a similar form-factor power supply..

2.wintec ssd--no comment-- i use a ocz vertex, but i knew ocz was a good brand, so didn't research past that..

3.screen and backup camera-- many will get a screen with a reverse wire input-- so when there is 12v on that wire, the screen will auto switch to the input where the camera is plugged in. don't know of many other solutions..

4. i cannot find any info on any usb dongles that specifically state that they can be used to create a adhoc network.. i have had 3, and none of them did it(a el-cheapo, a hawking technologies, and now one with a via chipset-included w/ the zotac 9300-wifi board..) however: the netgear pcmcia wireless adapter that i have will do this-- i haven't tried it, but i remember it is in the settings..

4.5. maybe i ought to start a poll, but i don't know if 802.11n is worth it yet for most areas-- it is a faster speed and distance, but it is also more expensive, and AFAIK, most hotspots are still only b/g, so it might not be worth it..
                13 year PC tech here and i completely agree with the OCZ SSD. I have the vertex in my setup as well. the 8" Lilliput screen i bought has the backup camera wire mentioned above. i don't use it but its easy enough to setup and the instructions for doing so are included in the box for the screen. I have a USB netgear WiFi dongle for WiFi tethering to my Moto Droid. Works great and its wireless G. In my opinion wireless N is not needed in the car setup.

A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

Comment

Originally posted by houndazs View Post
                  My board runs great its an Atom D510 board linked below. I have the M3-ATX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813153176
                  your board doesn't have the ion*, but looking back at the thread i saw, it doesn't appear the OP had ion either.
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...core-atom.html

Comment

your board doesn't have the atom.
                    huh?

Model

Brand
                    JetWay

Model
                    JNC94FL-510-LF

Combo Type
                    Motherboard/CPU Combo

Bundle

CPU
                    Intel Atom D510

With Cooler
                    Yes

Supported CPU

CPU Socket Type
                    BGA559

CPU Type
                    Intel Atom

Chipsets

North Bridge
                    Intel NM10

A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

Comment

sorry, edited, i meant ion.

Comment

sorry, edited, i meant ion.
                        saw it

A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

Comment

Is using the M3 for its size the only reason? Just get the M4 and call it a day. Yes its bigger, but it puts out a lot of amps on the 12V and 5V rail. Car PC setups mainly use USB devices, all which run on the 5V rail. I should know, mine has 31+ USB devices, and powering all of that has been a chore. The way I fixed the issue is put the hungry stuff on powered hubs with their own PSU units.
                          Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                          4X MK808b
                          3x Perixx Touchpads
                          3x 7 inch Screens
                          1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                          1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Okay everything ordered and hopefully arriving this week, love the AUD.

Couple more questions about power from my reading.

Got an M3-ATX on the way (thankyou everybody for that suggestion), from the manual it appears that it has an SDC built-in. Am I right in this thinking?

Second question: Can I use the M3 to power the lilliput screen by just paralleling some wires into the 12V it is providing the Motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostgum View Post
                              Okay everything ordered and hopefully arriving this week, love the AUD.

Couple more questions about power from my reading.

Got an M3-ATX on the way (thankyou everybody for that suggestion), from the manual it appears that it has an SDC built-in. Am I right in this thinking?

Second question: Can I use the M3 to power the lilliput screen by just paralleling some wires into the 12V it is providing the Motherboard?
                              yup it has a SDC built in. all you have to do is move a jumper to change the settings for it. yes you can also use one of the unused power connectors to power the Lilliput screen, but i personally wouldn't and didn't. reason being (all due to your system specs) is that you could put too much of a power draw on the M3-ATX. unlikely but possible. what i did was buy a $4 cigarette lighter plug from an auto parts store and wired it to my ignition. works great turn my key 8" Lilliput comes on.

A+, Net+, Sec+, MCP, CEH

Comment

Working...
                              X