Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Time CarPC Build - Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1st Time CarPC Build - Questions

    Hi All,

    Firstly, I wanted to thank you for the site... i've learnt so much already! Secondly I wanted to apologise in advance as haven't learnt enough to get myself out of trouble.

    I am endeavoring to build a car computer for myself that does the basics... stores and plays music, has GPS capability, bluetooth handsfree, wifi, connects to my cars ODBII port etc

    I happen to have an i3-550 CPU spare and have been looking at a Mini-ITX 1156 motherboard such as the Zotac H55ITX-A-E as the base.

    My questions are

    1. I understand that the i3 is overkill, but it was free so i'd like to use it. Will it create heat problems? I am assuming that the Zotac board is aimed at the HTPC user which is traditionally in a much cooler environment than a car
    2. What case would you recommend? I don't know if I need something a little larger to fit appropriate cooling
    3. What power supply would best suit both the processor, and the CarPC application? I read about M2, M3, PicoPSU etc but am a little confused
    4. Has anyone used Zotac before? I hadn't heard of them before I started looking into the CarPC idea and don't know how their quality stands up.
    5. If it is going to cost more for me to cool this thing down than it is to get a SU2300 or Atom board. What is the best bang for buck?

    I would really appreciate you comments.

    Thanks!

    Dan

  • #2
    nobody?

    Comment


    • #3
      I have the same board (almost) zotac h55-ITX-C-E

      As i understand the A-E doesn't accept standard power like most motherboards. (correct me if i am wrong)

      I dont think the i3 is overkill

      With my board i am having issues with standby with the combination of the m4-atx
      -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

      Comment


      • #4
        The i3 will use more power so naturally you will need more cooling. But its not overkill. Search on projects there are people on here with similar builds. I had one built just like that but as a home media player.

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks antimatter for bumping this.. even though it is from february, i'll try to answer some of your questions

          Originally posted by Dan Stoodley View Post
          1. I understand that the i3 is overkill, but it was free so i'd like to use it. Will it create heat problems? I am assuming that the Zotac board is aimed at the HTPC user which is traditionally in a much cooler environment than a car
          the installation location could have more problems then the hardware-- if you install in a trunk, just keep in mind that hot days could be problematic.

          Originally posted by Dan Stoodley View Post
          3. What power supply would best suit both the processor, and the CarPC application? I read about M2, M3, PicoPSU etc but am a little confused
          i beleive most running the i3 use the m2 psu-- because any larger power supplies don't fit in carpc cases.

          Originally posted by Dan Stoodley View Post
          4. Has anyone used Zotac before? I hadn't heard of them before I started looking into the CarPC idea and don't know how their quality stands up.
          they appear to be a off-shoot of asus. there are many board designs that asus and zotac share, with the major change being color... so far, i have started running zotac in my car for the last 2 years, and have not had any hardware issues--overall, problems seem to be very low.

          Originally posted by Dan Stoodley View Post
          5. If it is going to cost more for me to cool this thing down than it is to get a SU2300 or Atom board. What is the best bang for buck?
          i really think the i3 is the best bang for the buck.

          i don't believe the cooling requirements are not going to be any better/worse then a atom board--- of course the i3 will run hotter, but if they were both installed in a trunk, the ambient temp issues would be the same...
          My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
          "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"


          next project? subaru brz
          carpc undecided

          Comment

          Working...
          X