What am I forgetting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I forgetting?

ZOTAC NM10-A-E Intel Atom D510 (1.66GHz, dual-core) BGA559 Intel NM10 Mini ITX
    $99.99 newegg
    Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
    44.99 newegg
    Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV125-S2/30GB 2.5" 30GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    75.99 newegg
    Lilliput EBY701-NP/C/T 7" VGA Touchscreen with Backup Camera WiringCarNetix CNX-P1900 Ver.
    159.95 mp3car store
    2.2 Dual Output 140 Watt 12V DC-DC Regulator
    99.95 mp3car store
    Mini Wireless RF Keyboard & Touchpad Black
    54.99 mp3car store

for a grand total of $535.86, I'm almost sure the wifey wont kill me about that price tag
    Cars
    1994 Mustang GT Punch 240.4 2 12" Kicker Comp SOLD :(

2006 Suzuki Aerio Sx Kicker KX 650.4 RE 10

2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition DVD - Navigation Package Traded in for 2008 XL-7 Limited

Car PC
    Planning

according to newegg's pictures of that board, you have the wrong power supply. you require a 20/24 pin atx compatible power supply. like the m-series, dsatx, or opus lineup.
    My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
    "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
    carpc undecided

Comment

Thank You for that, thats why I post the questions here

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

So would this one do the job?

M4-ATX-HV 250W Intelligent DC DC PSU Power Supply Unit 6-34V Input
      Cars

2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition DVD - Navigation Package Traded in for 2008 XL-7 Limited

Car PC
      Planning

Comment

Yes, the M4 would work. But it's a non-standard size so fitting it in a case could be an issue. You might want to look at an M2-ATX or even an Opus. People have reported EMI issues with the M2/3/4 power supplies. I have a 120W Opus power supply that I love, and I highly recommend it - but it's bigger than the M's, so careful planning is necessary when shopping for a case.
        1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

You can get 20 pin to 24 pin power converters all over ebay for cheap. I'm using one in my set up now...

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-p-24-pins-ATX...item43a2bb4e28

Comment

^i have one as well. while most hardware will run with only 20 pins connected, i chose to not take the chance for a couple bucks..

atom processors are a low power board type, so most likely, an m1, m2, or m3 will work. but be sure to check the power requirements by inputting everything into a trusted power calculator before getting one.

the m4 is a huge power supply for use with that board. that is not to say it is a bad thing, just pointing it out.

i started with a atom board, and a dsatx, and when i decided the atom board wasn't good enough, only needed to upgrade the mainboard/processor, and could stil keep my same psu..

really, if you have the space, and the budget for it, i would recommend a solution like the m4, or opus 120, or dsatx. though i prefer to recommend the opus, carnetix, and/or dsatx psu's over any m-series psu-- if you spend any time the psu section, you will see that there just seems to be more problems with any of the m-series power supplies. that isn't to say that these lines are trouble-free, they just have a lot less problems then any of the m-series..

next project? subaru brz
            carpc undecided

Comment

So let me ask whats the deal with the Mini-Box picoPSU-120, world's tiniest 12V DC-DC ATX power supply unit (PSU)? Seems like a no brainer as far as power and size for me...
              Cars

Car PC
              Planning

Comment

the pico psu does not have any regulation on the 12v rail-- so it is not suitable for in-car use, as cars voltage varies from 10-15v--which means that your 12v rail will fluctuate that much... it also doesn't have a startup/shutdown controller built in.

next project? subaru brz
                carpc undecided

Comment

Ahhh TY guess im back to the Opus or M's again ....
                  Cars

Car PC
                  Planning

Comment

Dont forget a 12v P4 - P4 cable, i know my M2 ATX didnt come with one which sucks

http://store.mp3car.com/P4_12V_to_P4..._p/cbl-014.htm
                    Corolla WorkLog

Comment

So I forgot to mention I would like Navigation so I'm assuming I'm going to need a GPS and also am/fm/xm radio capabilities anyone recommend anything helpful on these?
                      Cars

Car PC
                      Planning

Comment

I've heard good things about this GPS receiver:

http://www.mp3car.com/gps/144124-jus...-receiver.html

The BU-353 is widely used for carpc navigation, too. Plenty of threads about it all over then 'net you can read.

On the software side, GMPC (discontinued) is a favorite, along with iGuidance, CoPilot, and a bunch of others.

As far as radio goes, I hate XM with a passion and won't purchase that ever again, so I can't recommend any XM radios. If you want a standard radio that can also pick up HD radio, then I recommend getting a Visteon HD unit. You can find them online for about $25 if you look hard enough. Then you pick up one of Mitch's HDR-USB cables so you can connect the HD unit to your computer, and for under $75 you have a fully functional radio - much better than any of the usb radio kits that you can buy, and quite a bit cheaper, too.

[offtopic]
                        Are you active duty AF? I'm starting terminal leave next month, after 22+ years - 10 of them at Tyndall. Just wondering.
                        [/offtopic]
                        1999 Mercury Grand Marquis GS with: ASRock E350M1 w/4GB RAM, 80GB Intel SSD, Opus DCX3.120, Visteon HD Radio + HDR-USB, PL-18N wifi, OBDLink Scan Tool, BTA6210 BT, BU-353, Win 7 Ultimate, CF 4.0, Alpine MRP-F240 + MRP-T220, RF Punch 1572s, Kicker 8" Comp.

Comment

Yup 17 yrs I just PCS'ed from Tyndall to McConnell, I worked at Silver Flag Crazy I was there for almost 5 years sucks we never got to meet up and BS about carpc stuff...
                          Cars

Car PC
                          Planning

Comment

That's funny. I worked at the 1800 compound (the one with all the antennas) that's on the right hand side as you go out to Silver Flag.

Comment

Working...
                            X