No announcement yet.

Wiring design/layout software?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring design/layout software?

Hey everyone - I'm still in the early stages of building my CarPC, and I want to know if there is a good software program out there that will help me design the wiring layout?

For example - I have the battery up front, the CarPC in the rear, the LCD panel in the dash, and the audio connectors need to go through the harness. I want a program where I can put little blocks that represent the PC or power supply or LCD panel or whatever, and then run wires to them with labels, so when I start wiring up the car I can tally up all of the different cables and make sure that I only have to pull my center console once to run all the wires.

Perhaps something like Eagle CAD??

Anyone have a recommendation? Right now I'm just using and drawing it out. It is not ideal.

visio should do the job for you SNO

I hadn't even considered that! Thanks! Looking into it, it looks like there is an Open Office version called Draw, -AND- even better a Google Documents version also called Draw, and they all seem to support the same things.

Dia works ok for this, and it is free -

I played around with the Google Draw app, and it doesn't seem like it'll work for me. For instance, I want to draw a line from one place to another, and have that line have a right angle in it... Can't do that in Google Draw - straight lines only. OR, if I want a non-straight line, it won't connect to the blocks, so if I move them they become disconnected.

I'm trying Dia now - the screen shots look VERY promising!

Maybe you could try this :
            I don't wanna be a product of my environment.
            I want my environment to be product of me.

I played around with Dia for 10 or 15 minutes yesterday, and it looks like it'll work perfectly