Is the Pandora a good car pc?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Pandora a good car pc?

Wondering what people think about the Pandora as a car pc?

They are going to start shipping soon.
    Suggestions or Comments on the forums? Post here.

mp3Car store order questions or products that you would like to sell on the store? Email store @ mp3car.com

Feel free to pm me if you:
    • Have a general comment on mp3Car's products or services
    • Have a product you would like to have tested by the mp3Car community
    • Have a file you would like mp3Car to host
    • Have a cool idea that would improve the forums

Looks like a Nintendo DS had sex with a Speak n Spell.. but that could probably be just me.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
      Looks like a Nintendo DS had sex with a Speak n Spell.. but that could probably be just me.
      not just you
      ---------
      I'll do the bumbling, and i'll be the idiot.
      if you've got a "stupid" question, search for some of mine!

Comment

They couldn't even take a picture of the device in focus. Depth of field is very short, keyboard, screen, almost everything is out of focus but one side of the bezel...they should have used a something like f16 for aperture...

I thought for a minute that Pandora, the internet radio station, was launching this.
        Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
        Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Pros: extremely hackable, runs Linux.
          Cons: screen is too small.
          Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
          Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
          Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

not just the screen...the entire thing is too small. A 43 button keyboard is that a joke?

The chipset is a little outdated at this point (~ a 3 year old cell phone) but overall pretty well featured. Just that screen rules it out as a carPC candidate.
            openMobile - An open source C# Front End (why choose openMobile?)
            - Always Recruiting Developers -
            Like what you see? Donations are always welcome

Comment

It does have TV-out and a usb port, so you could connect an external LCD touchscreen. It also has 4 DIO ports and PWM ports, so it also has features of a fusion brain built in. Also, it uses just a few watts, so it could potentionally stay powered on for 24 hours without fully killing the car battery.

However, I am sure the audio chipset would sound crappy in the car. Also, for that price and feature set, might be better to go with a fit PC, which has more power, more ports and options and close to the same size.

Comment

Just by lokking at my current set up, the pandora just wouldn't cut it. I has some nice features, but will certainly be limited on the amount of add-ons it can handle. Plus, its 2010, and the specs on that thing are low compared to what I have now, so I know it would be far too slow for me once I added a few programs and hardware components.
                Linux(Learning the curve...Like when driving!!!)
                Worklog!!!http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/fabr...l-worklog.html

Comment

I don't know why the fit pc, maybe with an external sound card, is not more popular either. Price?
                  Worklogs: 08 Sequoia Platinum Carputer (In Progress!)
                  Skin: MetroSex on the Beach preview

07 Infiniti Fx35 (done!) & 06 Infiniti M35 (gone...)

Comment

Originally posted by Sonicxtacy02 View Post
                    That was one of the funniest posts I've read in a while. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather View Post

They are going to start shipping soon.
                      Now that is a good joke.

They have been saying that for 3 years. LOL

I have one and it is a very good device for what it is designed for, a gaming system. It's a ton of fun to play Nes Snes PS1 and even N64 on it.

But no it's not meant for the car and would not be very good in one.

I also have a Fit Pc and it would probably be better than the OP in a car, but it still has quite a small screen.
                      My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

Working...
                      X