Avoiding OPUS shutdown

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding OPUS shutdown

Hey, i was wondering if there was any way i can prevent the OPUS from shuting down/hibernating the computer when i turn the ign off. I dont want it to do this all the time (thatd be easy) but just sometimes if i need to continue using the pc after turn the car off.

the only think i can think off is attaching a switch to the wires going from the power btw pins on the mb to the opus. If i wanted to keep the pc on id open the switch, preventing the opus from shorting the powerbtn pins on the mobo. this seems inefficient though and i was wondering if there was any better way.

hope you guys can help out.

Thanks
    -Roman
    04 Corolla CARPC

Progress: 95% done (its never done)

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=97518

Don't wire the power button headers ont eh motherboard to an opus PSU and use a switch instead.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      Don't wire the power button headers ont eh motherboard to an opus PSU and use a switch instead.
      thought of that but that way id have to manually turn off the pc everytime. i want it to automatically turn off by default, unless i dont want it to.

anyway to accomplish this?
      04 Corolla CARPC

Comment

You could try telling the Opus that you desire it to stay on each time, but I doubt it will respond.

No, there is no way that I know of to accomplish this.
        How about the Wiki?

Comment

ill call opus tommorow and ask but right now this is the best i have:

attach a switch between the wires coming from the mobo power btn to the opus

normally leave the switch closed so the opus will turn on and turn off the pc normally.

if i want to leave the pc on after i turn the car off i will open the switch, turn the car off, and the opus will be prevented from turning the pc off.

i was thinking there was some way i can prevent shutdown from windows. (vaguely remember a run command which aborts shutdown dont remember it though). A program will would prevent any attempt at shutdown within the next 10 -15 seconds would be great.
          04 Corolla CARPC

Comment

FYI in cmd the option to abort a shutdown is "shutdown -a" without the quotes
            "Mess with the best, die like the rest."
            Work Log --> Old Car (Totaled)
            Work Log v2 --> New Car (Totaled)
            Work Log v3 --> GMC Suburban K2500 (Engine died)
            Work Log v4.5 --> 05 Toyota Tundra DC SR5

Comment

But that doesn't resolve this issue.

See, the Opus is going to try to shut down whenever the key is turned. It can also operate in "dumb mode", but then it won't shut down the PC at all.

Here's an idea, buit I personally think it's not worth the time or effort, assuming it's even possible...
              Get a swtich that will control relays that will change which line is going to the ACC terminal of your PSU. In one position, it would be switched by the ignition. In another position it would receive constant 12v, allowing you to run your PC with no key in the ignition.

Frankly, if you want to run your PC with the car orr, disable the annoying door chime and leave your key in the ignition. That's what I do. Just don't turn the key to the OFF position. Leave it in ACC or RUN.
              How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                But that doesn't resolve this issue.

See, the Opus is going to try to shut down whenever the key is turned. It can also operate in "dumb mode", but then it won't shut down the PC at all.

Here's an idea, buit I personally think it's not worth the time or effort, assuming it's even possible...
                Get a swtich that will control relays that will change which line is going to the ACC terminal of your PSU. In one position, it would be switched by the ignition. In another position it would receive constant 12v, allowing you to run your PC with no key in the ignition.

Frankly, if you want to run your PC with the car orr, disable the annoying door chime and leave your key in the ignition. That's what I do. Just don't turn the key to the OFF position. Leave it in ACC or RUN.

Thanks for the advice DarquePervert

the problem with leaving the key in the ignition is that then my 2 amps will also be powered. although i didnt measure the amperage, i'd expect a 2000 watt & 350watt amp to significantly raise the current going from the battery and thus lower the amount of time i could use my battery.

the relay idea isnt bad but then id also have to attach a led to know what position its in.

i was thinking more along the lines of a software solution. something like a button in the frontend that once pressed would change the windows setting for what to do when to power button is pressed from hibernate to do nothing. after 20 seconds the setting would automatically go back to hibernate.

anyone have any clue if this is possible and how to begin approaching this?
                04 Corolla CARPC

Comment

I would just put a switch in between the amps' remote wires. Flip to turn off the amps and flip it back to turn it back on.

Comment

Originally posted by volum3rider View Post
                    I would just put a switch in between the amps' remote wires. Flip to turn off the amps and flip it back to turn it back on.
                    what if i just put the pc on mute. how huch power would the amps take? would it be close enough to zero to allow me to use the pc w/o/ battery probs?
                    04 Corolla CARPC

Comment

Wire a three position switch to the acc input on your opus.

A. Always on (12v constant)
                      B. Always off (not connencted)
                      C. Automatic (12v switched, i.e. ignition)

in fact I have (3) of these side-by-side to control the computer, the lcd, and the backup camera respectively.

95% of the time the switches stay in automatic mode for normal ops.

Sometimes (like getting gas, for example) I don't want the pc to pwr down, so I switch to always on before shutting the car down. Other times, I may not want it to pwr up (like when I'm just moving the car out of the garage or for very short trips), so I'll turn the switch to always off, before I start up the car and the power supply never knows any better.

Works like a champ... just don't forget you got gas on the way home and leave it in "on" mode over night If I only had a nickle.
                      '03 Escape 4WD:
                      -iTox mini-itx mobo, Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.66Ghz; 2GB, 80GB 2.5" HD, DS-ATX
                      -Transflective 8.4"
                      -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                      -Rearview camera with auto-switching (modified cheesbox)
                      -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                      -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Originally posted by Zoltan View Post
                        Wire a three position switch to the acc input on your opus.

A. Always on (12v constant)
                        B. Always off (not connencted)
                        C. Automatic (12v switched, i.e. ignition)

in fact I have (3) of these side-by-side to control the computer, the lcd, and the backup camera respectively.

95% of the time the switches stay in automatic mode for normal ops.

Sometimes (like getting gas, for example) I don't want the pc to pwr down, so I switch to always on before shutting the car down. Other times, I may not want it to pwr up (like when I'm just moving the car out of the garage or for very short trips), so I'll turn the switch to always off, before I start up the car and the power supply never knows any better.

Works like a champ... just don't forget you got gas on the way home and leave it in "on" mode over night If I only had a nickle.

thanks alot zoltan. i like that idea. watd you use for the constant 12v? just a wire from the battery? i have a distro in the trunk which would be perfect for supplying the 12v, but thatd be a hassle to wire a switch to the front.
                        04 Corolla CARPC

Comment

I ran a relatively large wire directly from the battery (fused) through the firewall.

I use this for all my power to the added stuff. I have a kill switch in my center console for hard resets and when I park the car for long periods of time.

If you didn't want to go through all that, just tie into the radio harness, or the ignition bundle.

All that said, if I were to do it over I would use a second, deep-cycle, gel-cell, battery (search: split charge relay) to prevent attempting engine start w/ a dead battery.
                          '03 Escape 4WD:
                          -Transflective 8.4"
                          -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                          -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                          -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Hey Zoltan:
                            Do you have a link to the switch you used for this? This was brought up in another thread, and we were wondering if it was possible. According to you, it is.....
                            I'm just curious what hardware you used.

Thanks!
                            How about the Wiki?

Comment

Any SP3T (single-pole, tripple-throw) or SPDT (w/ On-Off-On action) toggle/rocker switch should work just fine.

I got some switches from a local electrical supply store. One of the few remaining Mom-n-Pop hardware stores these days, and they had bins of different types of switches. I imagine any radio shack could help you out.

I wired mine to 12v relays so I didn't have to worry about getting switches rated for a lot of amperage.

If you like, I can draw a quick schematic and upload it when I get a chance.

Good Luck.
                              '03 Escape 4WD:
                              -Transflective 8.4"
                              -XM, iG4, OBD-II (BR-3)
                              -Slim Slot DVD+RW
                              -RR, DFX 4

Comment

Working...
                              X