Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DSATX and Compaq D510 (Pinout converter?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DSATX and Compaq D510 (Pinout converter?)

Hi guys,

Long time lurker, now I need to ask a question so hopefully someone might have an idea on this.

I've got a DSATX DC-DC supply and love it. My mobo burned up literally recently due to a fan dying, along with the fact that my installation was directly over a heater vent (I installed my system during the summer and just now realized that there is some very hot air blowing directly into my chassis).

So - I have a Compaq D510 (D51U slimline) mobo that will fit my chassis perfectly, running a P4 2G proc. Only thing is that when I went to connect the ATX cable from the DSATX, there's a major problem - the DSATX uses the 20+4 connector scheme, but this mobo only has a single 12-pin header for the power supply. No kidding.

I have searched all over HP's site, this forum, and Google in general for any clue of even a pinout diagram that would help me modify the DSATX output to match this. I really really really do not want to go back to using an inverter now that I've gotten used to this DSATX and it's shutdown timer, etc.

Hoping that someone may have run into this before, or maybe has a pinout, or can offer any hints, tips. (If I need to just trash the mobo and find another, tell me that too. I know it's crappy but it was free and it's relatively fast)

One other thing - I did put a multimeter on the AC power supply that came in the Compaq but I can't really tell much from it.

Thanks!
    GeorgiaCarry.org Member

I also have a Compaq D510 usdt. A fantastic little machine IMO.
    At one stage I did have it in the car, but because of the 12pin problem your having, I had to resort to using an inverter..
    I can't remember what the DSATX throws out but the inverter I originally used was 150 watts.. I killed it after about an hour of running the D510.
    replaced it with a 300 Watter, and it went well..

anyways, in the hope of helping you out a little, I just did a google search for
    "compaq 12pin ATX connector pinouts"
    http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...+pinouts&meta=

and found these, not sure if theyre right, coz I'm a little drunk atm, but it seems as though, it's nano ITX based..
    I hope I'm right, coz if it is, then my D510 is goin straight back into the car..
    http://www.geocities.com/walstib_1/

http://forums.viaarena.com/messagevi...&enterthread=y

But seriously, you better take the word from somebody who knows what theyre talking about (coz I sure don't) just trying to point you in some sort of direction.. (even if it is the wrong one :P )

Cheers :!:
    I'm not sure who I stole my avatar from, but I hope they don't mind, I figured it sums me up perfectly...... a pi$$edIdiot

Comment

does the compaq PSU say anything on it's lable about power?

For most psus, this is the color scheme:

orange = 3.3V
      red = 5V
      Green = PSON signal,
      Yellow = 12
      black = ground

The rest are all up in the air.

The DSATX should work, you just have to verify that PSON is the right polarity. You can do this by sticking in a DMM to all the pins in that connector with the black lead on a black wire. Measure this with the stock PSU write down all the voltages while off (unit plugged in ready to hit the power button) and while running..
      MPEGBOX - Plexiglass Computer
      www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Awesome - glad to at least find someone who's run into the same issue.

That's the exact board I have too.

The DSATX puts out 220W IIRC and has more than enough on the 12v rail for the cpu + other additions.

The comments I did find on the HP site said it was a "Custom USDT Power Connector" and never gave a pinout. I emailed support and am waiting to hear back from them.

That Nano ITX cable looks interesting - the picture is detailed enough that I might try putting a multimeter back on it tonight and compare again the ATX standards.

Nothing yet but thanks for the input... I'll post back results tonight.
        GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Comment

OK - here's what I have found... first, my 8.99 multimeter from Rat-Shack is a pos. So I brought home a Fluke from work and got much better results.

Other than that... here's what I see on the AC power supply when it is plugged into the wall and into the mobo - wanted to make sure you could see any difference it made with the mobo attached. If I need to only read from the PS let me know and I can do that too.

Notes on this image:
          1. "Gnd / No Gnd" is the result of me testing continuity between the chassis ground and the pin.
          2. All voltages were measured between chassis ground and the pin.
          3. On pin #8 - when I was reading continuity(resistance), I found that shorting (well actually, just me putting a lead on he pinand the ground) caused the PS fan to go on high instead of the normal idle speed.
          4. Image is if you are looking at the connector the same way fritz_fx is holding his in the second image above.

Hope this makes sense - let me know if it needs clarification.

Thanks for the input so far!
          GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Comment

Originally posted by jjnit View Post
            OK - here's what I have found... first, my 8.99 multimeter from Rat-Shack is a pos. So I brought home a Fluke from work and got much better results.

Other than that... here's what I see on the AC power supply when it is plugged into the wall and into the mobo - wanted to make sure you could see any difference it made with the mobo attached. If I need to only read from the PS let me know and I can do that too.

Notes on this image:
            1. "Gnd / No Gnd" is the result of me testing continuity between the chassis ground and the pin.
            2. All voltages were measured between chassis ground and the pin.
            3. On pin #8 - when I was reading continuity(resistance), I found that shorting (well actually, just me putting a lead on he pinand the ground) caused the PS fan to go on high instead of the normal idle speed.
            4. Image is if you are looking at the connector the same way fritz_fx is holding his in the second image above.

Hope this makes sense - let me know if it needs clarification.

Thanks for the input so far!

Coolness!

It looks like all the black pins are ground (2,3,5,7)

Is pin 1 black or brown? You have it changing colors. It is most likely the 3.3V rail.

Pins (4 and 6) are probably the standard 5 volt rail, can you un-plug the mobo and measure the resistance between them? I'm a little confused by the 0.1 diff, but it might just be coincidence.

Purple (12) is the -12V rail.
            Orange (10) is the +12V volt

White (11) is the PS_ON signal.

Green (9) is probably +5V Standby voltage (+5VSB)

White (8) is kind of strange, you think it might be fan control or temperature sensor?

What did you use to make the drawing?
            www.mpegbox.com

Comment

The readings your getting are exactly the same as mine..
              I also found this PDF.
              http://static.tigerdirect.com/pdf/HP...ence-Guide.pdf

Down in chapter 7.3 there are pinouts of some HP 12pin power supplies, theyre not exactly the same, but it should give us some sort of idea.

oh btw, heres a pic of my PSU
              I'm not sure who I stole my avatar from, but I hope they don't mind, I figured it sums me up perfectly...... a pi$$edIdiot

Comment

Originally posted by zootjeff View Post
                Is pin 1 black or brown? You have it changing colors. It is most likely the 3.3V rail.
                Yeah, sorry about that - it is in fact a single color - stays brown no matter how hard I stare at it

Pins (4 and 6) are probably the standard 5 volt rail, can you un-plug the mobo and measure the resistance between them? I'm a little confused by the 0.1 diff, but it might just be coincidence.
                Must have been coincidence - no resistance to speak of so it seems you are correct here.

White (8) is kind of strange, you think it might be fan control or temperature sensor?
                I'm thinking something like that. The only time it does anything is when the mobo is plugged in and powered on - the fan is idling normally unless it starts getting warm, but if that pin is shorted to chassis ground it immediately goe full speed - scared me the first time as a matter of fact.

What did you use to make the drawing?
                M$ Visio 2003 - Probably better ways to do it but I use it all the time for work and it's become my #1 diagram tool...

That helps a lot... I am wondering once I know which pins are what on my old PSU though - when I go to install the DSATX am I going to need to just tie all 5v rails together, all 12v rails together, all grounds together, etc, or do you just pick one wire from each group and use it? I know the special ones like PSON and the STBY should stay separate.
                GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Comment

Originally posted by fritz_fx View Post
                  I also found this PDF. Down in chapter 7.3 there are pinouts of some HP 12pin power supplies, theyre not exactly the same, but it should give us some sort of idea.
                  Yeah I saw that but it looks like more of what's on the D500 series. Almost the same - one hint it does give though is the FC(Fan Command) - it must idle nomally until it gets input from the mobo to add "more fan"

Originally posted by fritz_fx View Post
                  oh btw, heres a pic of my PSU
                  Same model/PN here...

You sober now BTW? I just hit my stash of Jack - I've got an internal company audit tomorrow and don't care to be there
                  GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Comment

Yeah, sorry about that - it is in fact a single color - stays brown no matter how hard I stare at it

Must have been coincidence - no resistance to speak of so it seems you are correct here.

I'm thinking something like that. The only time it does anything is when the mobo is plugged in and powered on - the fan is idling normally unless it starts getting warm, but if that pin is shorted to chassis ground it immediately goe full speed - scared me the first time as a matter of fact.

M$ Visio 2003 - Probably better ways to do it but I use it all the time for work and it's become my #1 diagram tool...

That helps a lot... I am wondering once I know which pins are what on my old PSU though - when I go to install the DSATX am I going to need to just tie all 5v rails together, all 12v rails together, all grounds together, etc, or do you just pick one wire from each group and use it? I know the special ones like PSON and the STBY should stay separate.

Just do a 1 to 1 conversion. Use 4 of the grounds, 2 +5Vs, etc..
                    www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Heck yeah - up and running on the DSATX now.

I just popped all the pins out of the old Compaq plug, and out of one end of the DSATX, and put the DSATX wires into the Compaq plug matching zootjeff's guesses on the pins.

One other note for anyone trying to use the DSATX with this PC - the front control panel header is a ribbon cable instead of the typical header, so I had to cut pins 3 and 6 out of the ribbon cable and use them to splice into header (G) on the DSATX for power on / power off functions.

Thanks for the clues on this one!
                      GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Comment

zootjeff - also thanks on this - I just realized that you are apparently the creator of the DSATX? So cool to have your help on this one.

One other question aimed at you - since in splicing the wires on this doesn't include a "PWR_OK" pin, is there going to be an issue with the DSATX possibly getting confused as to whether the PC is on or off? Or will it be able to remember state information from itself or maybe see whether voltage is being supplied on the other rails?

Thanks
                        GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Comment

zootjeff - also thanks on this - I just realized that you are apparently the creator of the DSATX? So cool to have your help on this one.

One other question aimed at you - since in splicing the wires on this doesn't include a "PWR_OK" pin, is there going to be an issue with the DSATX possibly getting confused as to whether the PC is on or off? Or will it be able to remember state information from itself or maybe see whether voltage is being supplied on the other rails?

Thanks

No the Power OK is an output from the DSATX. Some motherboards use it to turn on stuff only after it goes high. Others just wait the 200ms or calculate it themselves.
                          www.mpegbox.com

Comment

Compaq d510 usdt carpc (m2-atx)

I have finished my carpc. I am useing a compaq d510 usdt, witch has a 12pin plug. all info above in previous posts (from what I read) is correct. I how ever wired a M2-ATX power supply to mine. I removed the old AC/DC power supply, to make room for the M2-atx unit. going from the 20 pin standard atx wire to the 12 pin was a snap! (all the leads are labled on the inside of the 90watt compaq power supply) All I did was wire the leads from the atx side to the side of the 12pin that all matched. I left out the fan_cmd wire off the compaq. (I just hard wired a standard fan in on a 12v lead from the M2-ATX) everything works Great! I even can use Wake-On-Lan, that tells me I wired the stand-by power correctly. I had to solder the white 'switch' wire (Jumper9 on the M2-ATX) to the back of the power switch on the compaq. as this PC does not have a mother board mounted plug for a switch. I added a few more little helpfull mods to the whole thing to clean it up, and to keep it all tight and neat. I can post pics if anyone wishes!?

CarPC:

Compaq d510usdt 2ghz 256mb RAM DVD/CD Burner MultiDrive, 40GB HD
                            Dlink Moble wireless G router/AP/Client (used for a Lan bridge)
                            Dlink airG wireless USB
                            Lilliput 8" widescreen touch screen
                            USB GPS unit
                            mini keyboard
                            offtable trackball mouse
                            Motorola USB cellphone hook up for Dial-up

Comment

Originally posted by offrotor View Post
                              I have finished my carpc.... I added a few more little helpfull mods to the whole thing to clean it up, and to keep it all tight and neat. I can post pics if anyone wishes!?...

Please Do
                              New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
                              New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
                              "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

Working...
                              X