• Show
Clear All

• First Carputer Install - Power/Grounding Questions

My setup is the following:

Audio
    -Infinity 7541a Reference Series 111w RMS 4 Channel at 4ohms
    -Infinity Kappa Perfect6.1 Components 100wRMS 4ohms
    -Infinity Kappa 6x9mids 110w RMS 2ohms
    (will running the mids at 2ohms and components at 4ohms be a problem?)

Carputer
    -Carnetix P-2140 185w PSU
    (w/ PV5 add-on for usb hub)
    -Intel MacMini
    -Lilliput 7inch Touch Screen

My questions are:

-I have a 4guage wire with dual 100wfuses (this unit)

(within 12inches of batt) running to a distro block that will feed the PSU and Amp. Is that fuse box sufficient enough?

Alternative Idea:
    -Can I use the stock radio harness which contains 12v power, ignition,
    and ground wires to connect to my P1240 or should i run it off the distro
    block for power?

Thanks

Do yourself a favor.
    Wire the PSU to the battery, not the harness for the headunit.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

grazi-

any ideas on if the fuse amperage is sufficient enough to cover both the audio system and carputer? Thanks

Comment

also what is everyones experience with grounding kits and carputer intsalls. I figure that by installing a grounding kit will give good clean quieter signals to the carputer.

If so are there any grounding kits you can suggest? Im driving a 1994 Acura Legend GS Sedan.

THANKS!

Comment

You can use the ignition wire from your HU, but that would be the only one that i would use. I would recommend connecting the the constant power wire to the battery a fuse and a distro-block and use a different grounding point other than the one your HU uses, that would help out alot when it comes to eliminating unwanted noises, just make sure it is a good clean ground. i had mine hooked up to the HU wire harness for over a year but after reevaluating the set-up i concluded it could cause alot of problems.
          MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

bump.........does anyone have any input to offer on the grounding kits??? thanks

Comment

Actually the fuse is related to the wire's gauge, in your case 4 gauge should have a 150 A fuse. The amplifier and the carputer are protected by their own fuses. The fuse on the 4 gauge wire protects the wire itself. In case of an accident or short circuit the power gets cut near the battery and the 4 gauge wire can not ignite the car.

Comment

oh, that is good to know. thank you

Comment

oh, that is good to know. thank you

Comment

you should have one 4 gauge wire connected to the battery, passing trough the firewall with a grommet than going into a distribution block. The amp and the carpc are connected to the distribution block. If you have the carpc near the amp, use another distribution block to connect both grounds into a common grounding point. If the amp is in the trunk and the carpc under the chair or in the dash, use 2 grounding points. Make sure you use a wire brush and clear the paint for the grounding point for a better contact. If you have more questions please feel free to pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by lxt_123 View Post
                      Actually the fuse is related to the wire's gauge, in your case 4 gauge should have a 150 A fuse. The amplifier and the carputer are protected by their own fuses. The fuse on the 4 gauge wire protects the wire itself. In case of an accident or short circuit the power gets cut near the battery and the 4 gauge wire can not ignite the car.
                      Also the amount of amps the devices connected use should determine many amps your fuse will be rated at, they can also protect your equipment from any type of power surge, so its really important that you dont put a bigger amp fuse on your equipment than what it uses... otherwise instead of fried wires you might get a fried M2, MB, TS, ect.
                      MY INSTAllS:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...e-install.html

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...tallation.html

Comment

The gauge (size/diameter) of the wire dictates the maximum current that can safely pass through it. Same with the rating of the fuse, which needs to be scaled to the size of the wire. Too high a fuse rating and the wire can melt and catch fire. Too low a rating will not be a risk, but can be problematic if it does not allow sufficient current and continually blows.

Also, everytime you change the gauge of the wire from a larger to a smaller size, you need to place a fuse of the appropriate rating to protect the smaller wire, as was said before, to avoid a fire.

I also will recommend an inline fuse as close to the battery as possible to minimize the risks of frying anything, including the car.

Grounds must be clean, tight, and to a significant chunk of metal (i.e. not the sheet metal body panels if possible). Where to place the ground can be tricky, as I've found that one ground location for all of the audio components gives the best results, sometimes this is not the case. I will often try several ground locations to see what gives the best results. Also try to keep the ground wire as short as possible.

Lastly, do not run your power, ground, audio, or monitor wires near each other if possible. If you have to, try to cross them at right angles, rather than running parallel to each other. This will minimize any interference of the signals from the power supply.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X