Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnetix P2140 & Dell sx260/270

Hi,

I would like to use a Carnetix CNX-P2140 with a Dell sx260. In addition to the Dell I would like to also power a USB hub and xenarc 7" from the power supply.

From previous posts, the Dell has a 150watt power brick.

I have soldered a wire from the power button and extended them outside the case (for shutdown controller). I would rather use the standby feature than hibernating the PC. My install does not include a stereo and sometimes have to make a number of small trips. My car currently has in a Via M12K with a Opus 150 but need a bit more power.

Will the CNX-P2140 work for this setup?

It seems like it should, why not? I'm not sure if you can have three different volt outputs as you wanna do. But you can always power up the monitor from the car's supply.
    Seems fine to me.
    08 Lincoln Navigator www.mobiteklink.com

Comment

Thanks, ordered 1 yesterday and plan to install this weekend.

Should have PC swapped out this weekend. Will post results once I have completed it.

Comment

Please post the review
        08 Lincoln Navigator www.mobiteklink.com

Comment

what wires do you connect to the power button and what wires are used for sensing the computer is powered on.
          New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
          New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
          "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...-question.html

Here is my thread giving a short summary how to connect the carnetix to your SX260/270

Comment

Originally posted by BasicEvil View Post
              Hi,

I would like to use a Carnetix CNX-P2140 with a Dell sx260. In addition to the Dell I would like to also power a USB hub and xenarc 7" from the power supply.

From previous posts, the Dell has a 150watt power brick.

I have soldered a wire from the power button and extended them outside the case (for shutdown controller). I would rather use the standby feature than hibernating the PC. My install does not include a stereo and sometimes have to make a number of small trips. My car currently has in a Via M12K with a Opus 150 but need a bit more power.

Will the CNX-P2140 work for this setup?
              How many volt does your Power brick work on now.?

Right now P2140 can only out put +12V, +18.5V, or +20Volts .

Mike is working on a way to upgrade the P2140 to be able to out put 12-20 Volts in 1Volt hops.
              He is doing it to be able to power the Laptops that are 14-18 Volts.

Here is the Manual
              Carnetix P2140 Manual

Comment

THis should work fine. The only concern I would have is leaving it in standby mode. Doing this will definitely drain your battery more than you want it to. I would suggest a second battery that is isolated after ignition is off thus preventing your main battery from draining and allowing your car to start.

Comment

something to keep in mind. Most notebooks accept a wide range of voltages.

The one in my car will work anywhere from 14-22vdc

If its under 15 volts the notebooks battery wont charge. You have to get the technical docs of your notebook to see what it really supports and what's optimal.
                  Car : 00' Chrysler 300M
                  Speakers : Rainbow Audio SLC 265 | Subs : Diamond Audio D6 12" Subs X2
                  Amp's : Hifonics ZXi 6006 AB | Hifonics BXi 1606 D
                  CarPC: HP Laptop AMD Sempron 3000+ | 1.5GB RAM | DVD+RW | 80GB 5400RPM HD | ATI R200 Video

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderStick View Post
                    THis should work fine. The only concern I would have is leaving it in standby mode. Doing this will definitely drain your battery more than you want it to. I would suggest a second battery that is isolated after ignition is off thus preventing your main battery from draining and allowing your car to start.
                    You can tell P2140 to shut down the Computer , then the Power supply at a set voltage. ( mine 11.2 ) . that way you can never drain your battery dead. And still start the car.

P2140 default is ON & set at 11.8 when you buy it.

one other thing to remember is that if P2140.

can not produce 12 Volts prime and 12v sec. power outputs

You Can only produce 12v on sec. output when you have higher then 12v on you Prime output.

You can always just buy a small 12Volt power supply for just your screen.

It sounds like you have the Laptop & screen running off one power supply.

Comment

You can always just buy a small 12Volt power supply for just your screen.

It sounds like you have the Laptop & screen running off one power supply.
                      If both your PC and screen need +12V just hook them both in parallel to the primary output (jumpered for +12V).

Good new.....coming soon....

MikeH

Comment

Sorry for posting my review so late. Been very busy at work for the last number of weeks.

The P2140 worked great the way I had it config'ed which was to set both main lines to 12v and use a Point of Load for the screen. Main reason for the Point of load was to not have to run another power line all the way to the front of the car.

For startup I used the Dell's start up on power setting in the BIOS, works great so far. For shutdown I took the ACPI signal from the P2140 and using a automotive relay sent a signal to short pins 4/8 of my serial port when I turned the car off. A software shutdown controller then takes the signal and initiates the hibernation. I believe if I soldered the lines on the power button it would also have worked. But I didn't have the luxury of time. The software shutdown method is used by many laptop users on the forums and getting the 5v signal to the serial port from the P2140 was pretty easy.

I am now using the DSX12VD which also works great. Start up and shutdown methods haven't changed. The P2140 is being mated to my old setup (Via M10000/Lilliput 7") for my wife's car. At the time I needed the second power supply they were not in stock so I went with the DSX12VD. Love them both can't go wrong with either one in my opinion.

As time permits I will be posting the new setup in a Lexus GS. My other car will probably share the same Dell with the Lexus when I am finished her overhaul.

Very noticeable difference between the Via setup and the P4 in the Dell can’t say I would turn back.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                          If both your PC and screen need +12V just hook them both in parallel to the primary output (jumpered for +12V).

Good new.....coming soon....

Will it still support ACPI in the future?

Comment

My dell boots instatly with stand by, 15 seconds in hibernate and just over 30 seconds from cold boot. Huge improvement from my via setup that booted in 45 seconds from hibernate and over a minute from cold boot. Never tried standby. The via MII 1200mhz is a dinosaur as far as I am concerned compared to these dell sx260's. The dell is fast and reliable, the VIA slow but reliable, but SLOW. If you like flash skins in road runner, steer clear of VIA boards. The cant handle them.

Comment

Totally agree that the Dell hardware runs significantly faster than the Via and that they are both very reliable platforms. I had the Via setup in my other car for a couple of years with no major pains. The Via worked great but would quickly start to complain if I wanted to do more than play .mp3's and have GPS going at the same time. So far the Dell's P4 has had no issues handling whatever I have tossed its way and everything is currently running much faster.

For my wife's car however the Via would be great as she only cares about .mp3's and GPS. The Via has proven quite effective for that. I will not be removing her stock radio so don't even have to worry about radio stations. She really only drives her car to work and back. Though we live in FL her car is a '03 Accord with less than 30K miles.

Comment

Working...
                              X