M1-ATX Blew....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1-ATX Blew....

Well my computer did not come up when i started the car and saw some smoke coming out from the back, so i ran back there and noticed my M1-ATX smoking and pulled the power harness off...

Unfortunately it looks like the damage is done, is this repairable or do i need to get a new power supply. Could i just replace that chip? Does anyone know what that chip is and where i could get it.

1990 Jeep Cherokee
    2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
    2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

The DIP style chip is probably a pic chip. But the small SMT part looks gone for good. Could of been something else on the board the caused the short. Replacing parts without knowing what caused it will just waste money. Buy a new one.

Did you not have a fuse on your system?
    Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

Comment

the M1 is fused but supposedly it will not cover the 12 v rail from overloading which i think that burnt chip is. I know others have ad the Q2 chip burn and replace them and they work fine, so i want to give it a try on the Q8 chip on mine.

I want to try to get this one working before throwing away $90...
      1990 Jeep Cherokee
      2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
      2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Okay so you didn't fuse the 12volts from you battery. Could of been a voltage spike from starting your car. This is just a guess as i dont have a M1. May just be the two chips. Probably $5 for both chips from digikey.com or mouser.com or ebay But if its a pic chip then it needs the program loaded onto it. You probably can only get that from the M1-ATX guys.
        Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

Comment

Did you change any system components or do anything different that might have precipitated the M1 failure?

An amateur built the Ark. The Titanic was built by professionals.

Comment

The PIC is probably fine, but if it is blown you will have to get the program reloaded (as profit said) which is easy but you will need access to a programmer.

The surface mount part, I have no idea what it's function is, but it seems like a simple chip. Although nowadays, looks can be deceiving! I would just replace that one chip, and fuse the M1 near the battery as well.

I can check my M2 to see if it uses the same chip, but I don't know if they are equal...
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I think im going to try to fix it first and if i cant i will get a M2 i think.

I tested my wiring harness from the battery and everything is fine...

But the system is fused, once at the fuse panel since i use a fused fuse tap and again at the M1. nether fuse popped...

Got a reply for ituner...

Dear Sir,

I don't know what why the chip started smoking, it worked fine for a period. We can give you the part number for it:
              FDD6680A. Please look is no other components are burned. Hope this information helps.

Best regards,
              Cristi Ciubotaru.
              1990 Jeep Cherokee
              2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
              2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by WebDog View Post
                I think im going to try to fix it first and if i cant i will get a M2 i think.

I tested my wiring harness from the battery and everything is fine...

But the system is fused, once at the fuse panel since i use a fused fuse tap and again at the M1. nether fuse popped...

Got a reply for ituner...

Dear Sir,

I don't know what why the chip started smoking, it worked fine for a period. We can give you the part number for it:
                FDD6680A. Please look is no other components are burned. Hope this information helps.

Best regards,
                Cristi Ciubotaru.

The FDD6680A is rated for over 50A at 30V!!!! How much power did you send coursing through that thing?! I know it was an accident and noone knows why, but that is a pretty serious accident...

It's a $2 part: http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...y512-FDD6680AS
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

I honestly don't know what happened. but it was red hot and smoking. the only thing i did to it was a few days ago by adding a ground wire to the motherboard mount to ground.

But unless I'm crazy that would make no sense in blowing the M1 up.

Im thinking about maybe just getting a M2 then fixing the M1 as backup or just sell it, cause later this month we are driving out to Colorado for a few weeks.

i just ordered a M2 since mouser wont have that chip till 6/4/07
                  1990 Jeep Cherokee
                  2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                  2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

Well there are other places to buy the chip from! But M2 is probably better in the long run. Lets see how long until this one goes up in flames!

Comment

I know, im just not in the mood to be with out the carpc for weeks... :P

I guess my exhaust is my stereo for a few days.
                      1990 Jeep Cherokee
                      2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                      2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

I know, im just not in the mood to be with out the carpc for weeks... :P

I guess my exhaust is my stereo for a few days.
                        Stereo!

Go buy a 10mile orange extension cord from home depot. Preferrably with an auto rewinder, and hang it out your back window with an inverter!

Or use these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/wec.shtml

I know, I know, old april fools joke, but it never gets old. That and this:

Comment

haha i must have a dvd rewinder!!! gime gime. well is ituner ships the M2 today it will come tomorrow... you got to love UPS ground within the same state my 23" HDTV is coming today (i know its small but its all i can afford)
                          1990 Jeep Cherokee
                          2000 VW Golf TDI 4dr
                          2005 VW GTI MKIV - SOLD

Comment

haha i must have a dvd rewinder!!! gime gime. well is ituner ships the M2 today it will come tomorrow... you got to love UPS ground within the same state my 23" HDTV is coming today (i know its small but its all i can afford)
                            UPS never works for me, but I can't figure out if it is just in my area or not. Every computer, and I mean every computer I have shipped via UPS, has ended up in shambles on the other end. A uATX based PC, in a 24x24x24 box with hard foam all around, packed inside of a 36x36x36 box with packing peanuts as a cushion ends up on the other side with a tiretrack over it! Not dead centre, but close! Needless to say, the insides were all mushed together. And don't even get me started with UPS claim support! It is basically a speeddial on my phone, and I have only ever received the value of the damage once (The tiretrack one). All other times I got $100 and the old "since the UPS store did not package the contents, we cannot verify that it was packaged sufficiently, so it is your fault". WTF! Double, double-walled boxes and it is my fault!!!

On the other hand Fed-Ex always gets my stuff where it needs to go, and I don't get it! It is like UPS sees my account number and says, "hmm... what can we do to make him angry today? I know, lets see how far we can slingshot this thing into oncoming traffic! Those fragile labels increase aerodynamics!".

UPS may be better elsewhere, but since the tiretrack incident, the only time a UPS truck sees my house is when I have no choice. And I finf FedEx ground cheaper than UPS ground, but the express services are more expensive than brown...

</rant>

Oh, and congrats on your TV! 23" in fine I guess. The smallest we have is a 32 I think but it is from the 1970's and built into a cabinet. It is starting to turn green. So how do you fix a green tv you ask? Smack it really really hard! All better for a few more hours. I don't even think its resolution is 480!

Comment

Burned chip

I was running my system case-less and something like a tiny strand of wire in must have caused a short. I ended up burning up the chip labeled D7, it's right next to a corner on the board. Under the chip was a symbol for a zener diode..so my question is, Does anyone have any idea what the voltage and current rating might be for this component?

I can't even see the letters printed on the component. If anyone knows the replacement part from digikey or some other company, please let me know.

Thanks a ton,

eirigoyen

Comment

Working...
                              X