Can an AT PS power an ATX board?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an AT PS power an ATX board?

I know it would be simple to cut some wires and put an ATX plug on the end. i would be missing the 3.3v nd i'm guess that just leaves me with less fuctionality. (power off/on)

If there's an easy way to get 3.3v, thats great. but in the meantime, i just got this via 800 board and the Arise AT PS sitting in front of me.

I'm sweating bullets here. Am i going to screw up my board by doing this? or is it even worth it>?

MIKE!!

oh ya, an i have no intrest in wasting a perfectly good PS

MIKE!!!

Comment

You will need 3.3v, its used to power the CPU amongst other things. However, you can just get a 3.3v reg and power it off the 5v line to get 3.3v (as is done on-board by AT motherboards). As long as you wire the pins correctly yes it will work.
      -------------------------------------------
      (=========-) 99% complete
      --------------------------------------------
      AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
      All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
      Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
      ----------------------------------------------

Comment

thats just a radioshack part? I can do that. Sweet. thanks!!

MIKE!!

Comment

Also, The arise is 65 Watts. Does the 800mHz and Via pull more than that?

Comment

I think I read somewhere here thaat the actual VIA 800 cpu draws only about 18 watts, compared to an Intel cpu at about 60 watts. Try searching, it was only about a week ago.
            -------------------------------------------
            (=========-) 99% complete
            --------------------------------------------
            AMD K6/2 500 @ 450mhz to keep heat and power usage down, 64Mb, slim CDrom drive, 64mb USB pendrive for MP3 transfer, 10Gb 2.5" drive for MP3, USB>RS232
            All jammed in external CDROM drive case.
            Kenwood KVC-1000r In-Dash LCD. x-10 MouseRemote. Destinator V2 Gps. DC-DC with onboard Shutdown controller.
            ----------------------------------------------

Comment

Ready Made adapter?

So would Mastero be willing to provide a ready made adapter kit to make this work?

I would also like to use my AT DC/DC PSU!
              1983 BMW 733i
              Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
              Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

Mastero Sells the AT -> ATX plug on his site. Thats what you can use if you want the board to act like an AT. He also mentioned building a ready made kit that converts the two about a month ago. Not sure where he is with that, but i definatlely could use a couple.

18 watts sounds great to me! Still waiting for my board to get in...

MIKE!

Comment

Have a look at this thread for more info than you'd ever possibly want.

:edit: corrected spelling mistakes
                  And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
                  www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
                  Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

Working...
                  X