startup and shut down controller for laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• startup and shut down controller for laptops

is there one that doesnt require you to rip open your laptop? mine is only a month old. so i dont want to void the warrenty. maybe usb? i dont know how one would turn it on when the car is turned on. but shutting down wouldnt be hard. i know it would hafta be run off the constant. oh, im new btw. i couldnt find anything with the searching feature.

You should do some searching around the forums. There are options for you.

Personally, I like the idea of WOL and having a wireless router powered by an ACC line.
    Turn the key and the router starts up. It sends a signal to the PC which sees a network connection and then boots up (or resumes from hibernation).

Curious question.
    Why the hell would the Navy be in Oklahoma City? Seems a bit daft to have a Naval installation in the middle of the dust bowl....
    Unless, of course, you're a recruiter...
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

In addition to the search suggestion

If you don't want to mod your laptop, might want to lock at a docking station for your laptop (not a usb one) and modding that, you gain the benefit of being able to take out the laptop without unhooking anything and if you f' it up, your only out the dock.

Docks are expensive retail, but can usually be had cheap on ebay. I'm running a dell 8600 with a dock and a monitor stand. The monitor stand also has a power button (which is what I modified).

What kind of laptop do you have?
      GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Also, on my old laptop carputer setup, the bios of the laptop had an option that allowed the computer to power on/wake up when the docking station sensed power. The only thing is that I had to manualy hibernate it. Check into that option...
        My Car: 2001 Mazda MP3
        My OLD Carputer project: Here
        Completion Progress Bar: [**********100%]
        Current build! Here
        Completion Progress Bar: [*********99%]

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxRacr View Post
          Also, on my old laptop carputer setup, the bios of the laptop had an option that allowed the computer to power on/wake up when the docking station sensed power. The only thing is that I had to manualy hibernate it. Check into that option...
          Dock will assist with power up / down if left in car full time. As far as a PSU you need 19v so I would look into the Carnetix 1900 Series units either here at

http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-010.htm

Or Here

http://www.cappuccinopc.com/parts/p2140.asp#features

Look for connecting PSU to dock or laptop directly at this thread

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...op-wiring.html

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            Curious question.
            Why the hell would the Navy be in Oklahoma City? Seems a bit daft to have a Naval installation in the middle of the dust bowl....
            Unless, of course, you're a recruiter...
            im on covelescent leave. i got in a horible wreck 6 months back. im still recouperating from it. im just here at my parents house. but there is navy here. being recruiters or at theairforce base

Originally posted by shotgunefx View Post
            In addition to the search suggestion

If you don't want to mod your laptop, might want to lock at a docking station for your laptop (not a usb one) and modding that, you gain the benefit of being able to take out the laptop without unhooking anything and if you f' it up, your only out the dock.

Docks are expensive retail, but can usually be had cheap on ebay. I'm running a dell 8600 with a dock and a monitor stand. The monitor stand also has a power button (which is what I modified).

What kind of laptop do you have?
            docking stations are ungodly expensive for this laptop. its a hp pavilion dv6258se

Originally posted by LinuxRacr View Post
            that sounds like a good idea.

Comment

My old setup was an HP Pavilion n5190.
              My Car: 2001 Mazda MP3
              My OLD Carputer project: Here
              Completion Progress Bar: [**********100%]
              Current build! Here
              Completion Progress Bar: [*********99%]

Comment

Originally posted by americasfuture2 View Post
                docking stations are ungodly expensive for this laptop. its a hp pavilion dv6258se
                Have you checked ebay? Here's one that says it works with dv6000 series and it's about $40 shipped.

auction
                GE Cache Builder | me@cardomain |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

i didnt know they could be that cheap on there. checking.....

Comment

Originally posted by americasfuture2 View Post
                    i didnt know they could be that cheap on there. checking.....
                    Yeah, brand new, docks are ridiculous $$$, but ebay always has 'em cheap. Guess they come from liquidations and big companies changing hardware.

Comment

We're tailoring a configuration of the P2140 specifically for laptop installations. By mid April we will offer a voltage jumper kit that will let you select any voltage from +12 to +18.5V to match your laptop's input requirements. We are also asking folks to test our latest firmware/software upgrade that sends the startup & shutdown commands to the laptop via the USB port. This will prevent you from needing a docking station, or opening the laptop to solder wires to your power button (this firmware/software has been tested successfully with an IBM T43 laptop).

I hope this helps!
                      MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                        We're tailoring a configuration of the P2140 specifically for laptop installations. By mid April we will offer a voltage jumper kit that will let you select any voltage from +12 to +18.5V to match your laptop's input requirements. We are also asking folks to test our latest firmware/software upgrade that sends the startup & shutdown commands to the laptop via the USB port. This will prevent you from needing a docking station, or opening the laptop to solder wires to your power button (this firmware/software has been tested successfully with an IBM T43 laptop).

I hope this helps!
                        that sounds like a good one. what price are you asking once its been confirmed good for all laptops?

Comment

what price are you asking once its been confirmed good for all laptops?
                          The voltage programming kit is $10. The firmware/software is a free download. The P2140 retails for $135.
                          MikeH

Comment

where can i get this setup?

Comment

MP3Car carries the P2140.
                              http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-026.htm
                              The voltage programming jumpers should be here in about 2 weeks and MP3Car store will carry them once they arrive. Sotfware/firmware updates are on our support page.
                              http://www.carnetix.com/support.html
                              MikeH

Comment

Working...
                              X