Opus 150 not going to standby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 150 not going to standby

I've checked and verified all the things in the Opus manual and done seaches through these forums but have found no answers so far. Whenever I shut off the car, the computer continues to run for about 20 minutes before the opus simply cuts power (then it continually blinks with 2 flashes indicating standby failed). I've checked the jumpers, and no pins are shorted (meaning standby should occur in 10 seconds). For now I just manually hibernate the computer when I stop, though that's getting old really fast. I've also noticed some other strange behaviour from the Opus.

1.) If I shut off the car then restart the car without powering down the computer, the Opus cuts power to the computer ~20 minutes after I initially turned off the car (even though the car is still running).

2.) The Opus is able to start the computer without having the green/white wires attached to the startup/shutdown pins (although I currently have the green/white wires attached). I've verified that these are the right pins by shorting them and observing that the computer powers on.

Also keep in mind that when I say 20 minutes, I mean it's about 20 minutes give or take a few minutes.

Any suggestions/advice as to why it won't go into standby would be greatly appreciated.

Go into Bios, change setting that allows the PC to power on when power is applied. This will allow the Opus to start the PC correctly via the green/white wire.
    Check the polarity of the green/white wire. If you get it wrong it won't work (and this is why I suspect your PC doesn't power off correctly).
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I double-checked that the bios option (to start the pc when power is applied) was already on and also made sure that the polarity of the wires was correct. When I reversed them, the pc wouldn't start at all, so I'm assuming I have them in the correct position. The opus still can't seem to put the pc into standby. The pc can be manually placed into standby and will also go into standby if the power button is pressed (or whatever I choose from within the windows power options), so I know it's at least possible. Any other suggestions for things to check?

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Go into the Power Options in the Windoze Control Panel.
        On the Advanced tab, there's an option for the behavior when you press the power button. Make certain that's set to Standby.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I went ahead and assigned the power button to put the computer into standby (via the windows power options). After turning off the car, the power supply now waits 5 minutes, then puts the pc into hibernate. This is much closer to what I wanted (and likely a liveable situation). It's just odd that 5 minutes isn't one of the jumper settings on the Opus (and the jumpers are currently set to go to standby after 10 seconds...) I sincerely appreciate all of the input on this. Any other suggestions as to why the power supply isn't going to standby?

Comment

Very weird.
            What motherboard are you using?
            Have you tried reversing the power switch lead from teh Opus?

Lastly, have you tried contacting Opus Solutions about the problem? From what I understand, they are very helpful, even if the unit is not under warranty or you purchased it used.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

What motherboard are you using?
              -I'm not entirely sure who made the motherboard (it's whatever they put in a Dell Optiplex GX60), but it uses the Intel 845GL Chipset.

Have you tried reversing the power switch lead from teh Opus?
              -Yes, if I reverse the lead, the pc won't start.

Lastly, have you tried contacting Opus Solutions about the problem? From what I understand, they are very helpful, even if the unit is not under warranty or you purchased it used.
              -I haven't called them yet, but I probably will be doing that very soon. =)

Thanks again for your advice.

Comment

yeah call up Opus TechSupport
                I had a problem with mine that was somewhat similair, they were very helpful and located the problem which required me to RMA the PSU. They are very quick to help.

Comment

Working...
                X