Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The M2 seems very capable, look what it powers in my car!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The M2 seems very capable, look what it powers in my car!

    I just got the M2 and its powering my first car pc well.

    and check out my pc specs:

    AMD X2 3800+ - not ocd cuz i dont wanna hurt my M2

    Asus A8N-sli deluxe

    2 gb of DDR 400

    Creative Audigy 2 ZS PCI Card

    Nvidia 5300 128mb pci-x card - or something like that...its a cheap 50 dollar vid card.

    320 GB Sata HD

    2 case fans plus cpu fan

    and a bunch of usb devices.....

    Vista Ultimate 32-Bit - Dreamscapes look so pimp on the car screen!
    Centrafuse v1.10 - looking for red skin

    All in my 2005 Subaru Legacy Limited...not GT...i know im a moron


    OH AND MY 8 in lilliput screen


    im am impressed.

    i was worried it wouldnt work ......its been working for a few days now so well see what happens


    if anyone is concerned about it not being in its own metal housing like i was and where you might put it.....just hot glue it to a peice of plexi glass so it does not ground on your metal case, then hot glue the plexi to the inside of your pc case where the normal psu would go...thats what i did...works perfect!
    Thanks, the ubernoob

  • #2
    wow, and i thought my 2ghz celly + screen would push it close. lol

    Comment


    • #3
      It works now but if you overload it, the M2-atx has reportedly turns motherboards into cumbersome paperweights.

      Although if you've managed to come in under the max specs, all the power to you
      I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NiSlo View Post
        It works now but if you overload it, the M2-atx has reportedly turns motherboards into cumbersome paperweights.

        Although if you've managed to come in under the max specs, all the power to you
        not sure how that could happen...usually the psu just dies...it shouldnt take anything with it, i plan to test it with my volt meter soon while its under load.

        as for coming under max specs....i eblive i read that the max for my cpu is 85 watts. and thats under 100 percent load. so add 10 more for the screen and your at 95 watts.

        now we need to add the rest

        low power vid card = 20 watts maybe? = 115

        sound card = 5 watts = 120

        hdd = 10 watts = 130

        mb = 10 watts? = 140

        ram = 10 watts = 150

        usb devices = have no clue = about 160

        yeah under load im sure im pushing it....and my math here could be way off....but its 100 percent stable so.....i suspect(hope) it will hold.

        i got no other choice...im way to poor right now to buy another psu....these dc-dc psus are way too expensive

        ac-dc = 600 watts for less than 100 bucks

        my m2 with shipping cost 115 - OUCH

        i bought it before switching to this pc....i was using the pc from my arcade machine, that was an old p3 800 dell with a stock 85 watt psu...so i new the m2 would do that easy, but that was way too slow, so then i said...what the hell and threw my amd x2 in and whattaya know....it works great so far.


        ANY CLUE AS TO WHEN THOSE M2s BREAK AFTER OVERLOAD???? weeks? days? hours?
        Thanks, the ubernoob

        Comment


        • #5
          look here at the bottom....a system like mine with a much higher clocked cpu and much more powerful video card even comes in close to the m2s 160 watt rating...i think im good

          http://pda.hardware.info/en-US/artic...ge_modern_PCs/
          Thanks, the ubernoob

          Comment


          • #6
            You may be under the max load of the m2-atx, but you need to ensure that you don't exceed the specs for each rail.

            Max current draw of the m2:
            5v - 8amps
            3.3v - 8amps
            12v - 8amps

            You said that you're cpu and screen alone is around 95w.
            Watts / Volts = Amps
            95 / 12 = 7.9a
            You're only .1a off the max load of the 12v rail of the m2 with only those two components.

            As for taking the mobo with it, I've seen a few threads where it's shorted the mobo on it's way out and both ended up dead.

            I'm not trying to take anything away from your setup, I'd just hate to see your setup go up in a plume of ozone smelling smoke.
            I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NiSlo View Post
              You may be under the max load of the m2-atx, but you need to ensure that you don't exceed the specs for each rail.

              Max current draw of the m2:
              5v - 8amps
              3.3v - 8amps
              12v - 8amps

              You said that you're cpu and screen alone is around 95w.
              Watts / Volts = Amps
              95 / 12 = 7.9a
              You're only .1a off the max load of the 12v rail of the m2 with only those two components.

              As for taking the mobo with it, I've seen a few threads where it's shorted the mobo on it's way out and both ended up dead.

              I'm not trying to take anything away from your setup, I'd just hate to see your setup go up in a plume of ozone smelling smoke.
              i agree and appreciate your concern....at least the 12v rail is safe....its under the 8 amps...and those are the only things running off the 12 volts...plus that is when my cpu is running 100 percent.....which is rare..i do no video encoding on there...just running cf... = tunes and gps

              maybe the occasional emu

              does teh vid and sound card run off the 12 v rails?
              Thanks, the ubernoob

              Comment


              • #8
                the hdd does... lol
                http://www.mp3car.com/members/tracke...ivic-2007.html for Car Pics!

                http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/lcd-...ease-read.html for Touchscreen timeout fix!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Take a look here. It seems that the cpu uses the 3.3v rail unless it is a P4
                  I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NiSlo View Post
                    Take a look here. It seems that the cpu uses the 3.3v rail unless it is a P4
                    then id say im all good hehehhehe
                    Thanks, the ubernoob

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      And just so you know the M2 will work just fine overloaded.... For a little bit. And then it goes KABOOM! And yes it does take your motherboard and cpu usually with it. In extreme cases (which I am sure yours qualifies as) it will take your ram and the platter spinner motor of your harddrive. So your futile attempt to save some money by powering that off of an M2 will come out to be very expensive in the end.

                      Everyone that knows about electronics should know that there is a break in point, where things stop working at peak efficiency. There are always those little transistors on the cpu that are connected but barely when they first work, and extreme heat and power fluctuations burn out their paths. Same deal sort of.

                      I am glad it is working for you know, but I would seriously consider either toning it down, underclocking, or upgrading the power supply. These words will still be here when your car bursts into flames. And yes it can happen. A system with less power draw than yours powered off the M2 burst into a small fire and of course took the mobo/cpu combo.

                      So to quote Elmer Fudd "Be vwerry vwerry cautious..."
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        ^^^ What he said ^^^

                        I second that, the money you've saved will pale into insignificance if the M2 sets fire to your car

                        IS it worth the risk just to have such a powerful PC in the Car, WHATS THE POINT ANYWAY? you don't need such horse power for CarPC'ing and you are only stressing the cars electrical system far more than you need to be, which ultimately results in the car burning loads more fuel, just to turn into heat in a PC :wack:

                        The vast majority of decent CarPC's are built with efficiency in mind too
                        Not just outright grunt
                        My Nissan 200SX @ Silverstone
                        NOW SADLY WRITTEN OFF!

                        My Car's spec list + pics

                        Stealth CarPC fab'ing...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ShawJohn View Post
                          ^^^ What he said ^^^

                          I second that, the money you've saved will pale into insignificance if the M2 sets fire to your car

                          IS it worth the risk just to have such a powerful PC in the Car, WHATS THE POINT ANYWAY? you don't need such horse power for CarPC'ing and you are only stressing the cars electrical system far more than you need to be, which ultimately results in the car burning loads more fuel, just to turn into heat in a PC :wack:

                          The vast majority of decent CarPC's are built with efficiency in mind too
                          Not just outright grunt
                          lol, stressing the cars electrical system? how the hell am i doing that.....my power supply is run off 4ga fromt he batt and 4ga to the chassis, and its a 160 watt psu all day long reguardless of the system it powers. it would only be lower not higher, and i have a 700 watt power inverter that i am not using but obviously would put much more "stress" on the cars electrical system.

                          and what about amps...i got an 800 watt rockford....dont you think that would "stress" it more? kind of a silly thing to say.

                          o and burning loads more fuel? thats funny....i have a MPG meter, ill let you know if it changes, i usually get about 23 mgp in my four cylynder subi. i guareentee i see no diff....i think you need to learn more about cars before you post here making other noobs paranoid.

                          dont be jealous of the power of my pc heheheh
                          Thanks, the ubernoob

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                            And just so you know the M2 will work just fine overloaded.... For a little bit. And then it goes KABOOM! And yes it does take your motherboard and cpu usually with it. In extreme cases (which I am sure yours qualifies as) it will take your ram and the platter spinner motor of your harddrive. So your futile attempt to save some money by powering that off of an M2 will come out to be very expensive in the end.

                            Everyone that knows about electronics should know that there is a break in point, where things stop working at peak efficiency. There are always those little transistors on the cpu that are connected but barely when they first work, and extreme heat and power fluctuations burn out their paths. Same deal sort of.

                            I am glad it is working for you know, but I would seriously consider either toning it down, underclocking, or upgrading the power supply. These words will still be here when your car bursts into flames. And yes it can happen. A system with less power draw than yours powered off the M2 burst into a small fire and of course took the mobo/cpu combo.

                            So to quote Elmer Fudd "Be vwerry vwerry cautious..."
                            serisouly, what makes the m2 so different from a standard psu as far as completly killing every component it comes in contact with?

                            im a pc tech, and have been fixing dells for years, i have never seen a psu take down an entire pc.....so tell me why this is different?

                            also, as for the fire, im sure those noobs wired some **** wrong or something like that, when i reqired the other day i forgot to cut a wire before testing and i made smoke....but all i did was melt a couple of cables, namyly my lcd ribbon and part of my power inverter....but i resoldered some stuff and its all good now.

                            so im sure those are rare and most likely not the psus own fault.

                            thanks for your concern, i will consider going with something else and selling this one to a friend who now wants a car pc after seeing mine, i know he will be using a low power pc.

                            in the mean time can anyone give me a sure fire way to be certain how much power im using and how much i have to spare? if im pushing it.

                            i got a volt meter and a radio shack near by
                            Thanks, the ubernoob

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by knightmare007 View Post
                              lol, stressing the cars electrical system? how the hell am i doing that.....my power supply is run off 4ga fromt he batt and 4ga to the chassis, and its a 160 watt psu all day long reguardless of the system it powers. it would only be lower not higher, and i have a 700 watt power inverter that i am not using but obviously would put much more "stress" on the cars electrical system.

                              and what about amps...i got an 800 watt rockford....dont you think that would "stress" it more? kind of a silly thing to say.

                              o and burning loads more fuel? thats funny....i have a MPG meter, ill let you know if it changes, i usually get about 23 mgp in my four cylynder subi. i guareentee i see no diff....i think you need to learn more about cars before you post here making other noobs paranoid.

                              dont be jealous of the power of my pc heheheh
                              Well yes it does stress your electrical system more. Not much, because you have a subi anyways. In my Honda, you notice when the PC is on, just like you notice when the airconditioning is on. Unless you have some perpetual energy source in you non-plugged into the wall car, you are burning more fuel too. Again, just like having the air conditioning on. I used to get mid 40's mpg, but now it is more around 42-40 and when the air conditioning is on, I get around 38-37 now. I am due for a maintenance check though...

                              Originally posted by knightmare007 View Post
                              serisouly, what makes the m2 so different from a standard psu as far as completly killing every component it comes in contact with?

                              im a pc tech, and have been fixing dells for years, i have never seen a psu take down an entire pc.....so tell me why this is different?

                              also, as for the fire, im sure those noobs wired some **** wrong or something like that, when i reqired the other day i forgot to cut a wire before testing and i made smoke....but all i did was melt a couple of cables, namyly my lcd ribbon and part of my power inverter....but i resoldered some stuff and its all good now.

                              so im sure those are rare and most likely not the psus own fault.

                              thanks for your concern, i will consider going with something else and selling this one to a friend who now wants a car pc after seeing mine, i know he will be using a low power pc.

                              in the mean time can anyone give me a sure fire way to be certain how much power im using and how much i have to spare? if im pushing it.

                              i got a volt meter and a radio shack near by
                              And it is a proven fact that the M2 takes out what it powers when it dies. Most power supplies have built in protection for this sort of thing. When the voltage becomes too unregulated, it blows itself simply. The M2 does not. It just feeds that bad power and usually higher amperage power feed directly into your components. Want to see what I mean? Hook up an old 3.5" drive, that should take 12v for the spinners. Now give it 13.8v unregulated that goes between 6v and 14v. I bet you it will fail. It is not meant to handle that. Only when the extremes get too much for the M2, does it finally die and the damage by that point is usually done. The way a voltage limiter works is that it relies on external resistors to tell it what to spit out the other end. Now if that resistor blows up, well, how does the chip no what to put out? Simple. It doesn't. It just gives out what came in. Unregulated 13.8v. Good luck with that.

                              And a power supply calculator available many places will tell you the total watts drawn fairly easily. As for adding up each rail, that is burried around here in all sorts of places, because it does differ on pretty much everything. Some devices like HD's, Optical drives, tell you the amps it uses and on what lines. Add it up, and see what you are pulling. I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever go above about 75% of what the M2 claims it can handle. Because like I said before, it can handle it, but not forever, and when that not-forever is up, you are out a lot of money.
                              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X