Ive never argued that my system is overloading the M2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ive never argued that my system is overloading the M2

edit: the thread name should read "my" not "might"..typo sorry.

I NEVER tried to tell everyone my system was not over loading the M2.

I have mentioned this a few times through the other M2 thread I have.

I was ONLY arguing that I will not see huge MPG loss due to adding my dual core pc to my car, and that it will in no way cause electrical wiring problems.

I have made this statement many times, but somehow everyone keeps skipping it and telling me how stupid I am to run such a powerful system on that PSU.

Ok fine, i appreciate that, and will look into switching things around, but do not twist my words around and make me sound like i said a bunch of stuff that i did not.

all i was looking for was for someone to agree, yes the gas will not change noticbably, and then the thread would have went back to its original discussion, but everyone got caught up on other things, like how stupid i must be.

well someone did agree finally that i was right, and the gas change would not be notciable, but by then everyone hated me and was off ranting and rainting about how wrong i was about the pc being too much for the m2.

again, fine, i never tried to argue that, only discuss it.

and I never said I was an expert on cars electrical, simply becuase ive installed many car stereos, I ASKED how is it possible that an 800 watt amp can run fine in many cars ive had, but somehow when i post in this forum that im running a 160 watt pc in my car, everyone thinks that my car is going to have horrible electrical problems and be a gas guzzler. i was looking for that answer and it never came. only like 2 people said, yeah you prob will never notice the gas difference. NO DUH thats all i was trying to say. but by then no one wanted to hear it

sorry it went so far, i wish you could all read what i was typing to oyu and discuss the topic apporpriatly, but i guess everyone likes to team up on people and type and type and type forever about stupid crap that i wasnt trying to disagree with to begin with.

i also expect, after seeing what everyone has done in the previous thread, that people will jump in here and continue their pointless criticism. thats life, ive learned to deal with it, but it still kills me every time.

also i was never BRAGGING about my system, only suprised that it could bott a pc like that, i thought it would just not turn on until i brought the load down. i listed the specs to show what it was running, not to brag, and then to see what others thought of this.

i got that info, but i got more screaming about me being a moron than anything.

thanks for reading EVERYTHING i said and tlaking to me after, rather than pciking out all the little things and totally taking my discussion out of context and seeing me as i am not.

appreciate it.

i think the only 2 people to contribute anything to the thread instead of ranting about random crap was Parksgm, and nomader.

as for insulting people, i first tried to get them to see what i was trying to say, after seeing they didnt want to hear it and that they would only reply to the filler of my posts rather than discuss with me the points i was trying to bring up, i decided they needed to see how frustrating they were bring by not simply reading my entire posts, and instead taking little peices out and tlaking all day about that.

when you reply to someones arguements, run through their post while you type your next one, and when they make a statement that you belive is false, do the OBVIOUS thing and tell them why you belive it to be so. and do this to their ENTIRE thread.

this is how people learn, and this is very very COMMON SENSE.

please, for the sake of others out there, use this common sense, and make these threads useful to others.

let the continued flaming begin.
    Thanks, the ubernoob

^^^ What he said ^^^

I second that, the money you've saved will pale into insignificance if the M2 sets fire to your car

IS it worth the risk just to have such a powerful PC in the Car, WHATS THE POINT ANYWAY? you don't need such horse power for CarPC'ing and you are only stressing the cars electrical system far more than you need to be, which ultimately results in the car burning loads more fuel, just to turn into heat in a PC :wack:

The vast majority of decent CarPC's are built with efficiency in mind too
    Not just outright grunt

thats the only post i was every trying to prove wrong, the thread was great up until that, and then everything went sideways. the words:

"you are only stressing the cars electrical system far more than you need to be, which ultimately results in the car burning loads more fuel, just to turn into heat in a PC :wack:"

started it all. and im sure now that the dust has settled you all can agree, that i was right to tell this guy that he was running, and giving others that might belive him, FALSE information!

"Now, as far as gas milage is concerned, your PC probably wont show up noticably. "

thats all i wanted to hear.

h3k made some good points, and as for:

"
    Ill spell it out for you right here, TELL ME HOW MY 160 watt DC-DC pc PSU puts more strain on my car stereo than my 800 watt rockford subwoofer amp does."

I truly appoogize, that should have said "my cars electrical" not "stereo". thought you would have figured that out, but truly sorry...it was a simple typo.

snyperbob, after reading the entire thread also must have reading problems, his post was def wrong all over.

and mr pervert moderator, why did you jump on the "He must be bragging" band waggon?

this thread was good info for a while. not a bragging thread.
    Thanks, the ubernoob

Comment

knightmare007,

I've just read through the entire other thread (closed), and then noticed this one as well. Seems like things have calmed down a little, which is very pleasing in this usually very pleasant and informative forum.

Let me first qualify - I know NOTHING. I know far less than the many experts on here, and I probably know far less than you also. I'm thankful for any help, and I'm definitely not preeching to anyone.

The only suggestion I'd offer to you would be to take a few deep breaths before posting. I can see how some of your posts are not necessarily written how they were intended. Sometimes the written word has a different meaning to the intended word. This is how certain threads get heated and it's contagious as we saw in the other thread. Please take this in the positive manner it's intended.

Now, having read the other thread (and assuming that given cost/availability/etc, you are sticking with your high-spec CarPC), then it appears to me that (in a variety of other words) some of the more experienced members of this forum were trying to advise you that perhaps your system is underpowered, and as a result, bad things could potentially happen one day in the future. As always, this advice is just that - advice. Whether you take that advice is totally up to you.

I saw that one member recommended a higher wattage power supply. Perhaps you might consider that as an option. I wonder if it's possible to buy and use a 2nd M2-ATX. Is this even possible ?

In general I've found that the advice and expertise on this forum is almost always offered in good faith. Put simply, the members like to help fellow members. Whilst I'll reiterate that I know nothing, I would still urge you to reconsider the free power advice you have been offered here.

Cheers,

Long.1

PS. I have just noticed that you've also just posted this thread : DSATX or OPUS 320? and I applaud you for that.
      Worklog: 2006 Ford Territory Ghia (Melbourne, Australia)
      Mounting Components in Custom Carputer Box
      Attention Aussie's - Say G'day Here

Comment

Neat; humility, civility, clarity... I have to admit, I didn't see it coming, I'll put my flamethrower at order-arms. I had no need to assert my points, but out of pride and some immaturity, I did anyway. And I know from experience that 'crow' tastes like ****.
        You'll find here that there are many 'but why?' responses to threads about people putting monster gaming PC's in their cars.
        Understand that in the embedded community (aftermarket and OEM automotive electronics, specifically) much emphasis is placed on making a system that will provide the needed functionality and performance while maintining minimum currents. Some of that philosophy spills over into this hobby. Sure, this forum is full of anal retentive (how's that for Freud, DP) designers, engineers, inventors, audiophiles, users, programmers, farm animals, and even a few normal people with pride in their hobby, that hate to see things that are flawed. Many allow that compulsion to drive them to hang around here and provide guidance to others that are going down a path they know.

A big powerful PC has limited function-based benefits over a smaller, more carefully designed, conservatively spec'd car PC. I think that is where the resistance started.

What do you want your car PC to do for you? For most answers, a smaller, less powerful design will do what is wanted.

Automotive electronics design engineers fight for every microamp that they save these days, and when it comes to car PC's, one day you will see the ulitmate benifit of all of that fighting in future products. Low power consumption provides less heat and less heat provides a higher level of reliability. Reliability and durability is a major concern in this environment. Less voltage switching makes less EMF and noise. Lower power consumption on a macroscopic scale will provide lower emissions and less resource consumption from an ethical point of view.
        Any bonehead can throw a bigger engine in a car and make it go faster, but does that mean that their lap times will go down?...There is more involved. I could go on forever, but I suspect you get the point, I'm just trying to show you some of the current you were swimming against.
        Oh, and with respect batteries, higher discharge rates tend to shorten battery life.

I have a DSATX that I use, while at the same time I use less power than the setup you described, well maybe close. I prefer the safety margin. Burned-up circuits don't always end up the way they were originally designed, and after becoming derranged, it is possible they will draw far more current than originally specified, that could cause problems, even with 4 or 2 gauge wire, but the melting point would probably end up being the circuit card or its components. The potential for a fire remains nonetheless. I hope you will find better luck with your questions/ comments from now on, posts with this tone will probably have a better chance of that.

Edit: Besides, why wouldn't you want to save as much room (electrically speaking) as possible for a kick *** stereo system.
        It's been a while...

Comment

thinking your always right & know everything does not go well with asking for help & trying to learn... at all

you WILL make mistakes on your first install, then still on your second, maybe much less on your third..., it's pretty arogant of ou to think you, who's a carpc virgin, know more than the few veterans who initially were just trying to help you avoid these mistakes, If you just want to argue with everyone that you know what your doing then just go do it
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by long.1 View Post
            knightmare007,
            I saw that one member recommended a higher wattage power supply. Perhaps you might consider that as an option. I wonder if it's possible to buy and use a 2nd M2-ATX. Is this even possible ?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...wo-m2-atx.html is a thread on the second power supply option which you might find interesting.
            It's been a while...

Comment

Originally posted by h3rk View Post
              http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...wo-m2-atx.html is a thread on the second power supply option which you might find interesting.
              Thanks for that h3rk - very interesting reading. Whilst I have a Opus 150 that will cater to my first carpc install, you never know what the future will hold - especially when you consider how addicitve this hobby is. I'll store that info away in the memory banks.

Cheers,

Long.1
              Worklog: 2006 Ford Territory Ghia (Melbourne, Australia)
              Mounting Components in Custom Carputer Box
              Attention Aussie's - Say G'day Here

Comment

Yeah, I guess my post was "wrong all over". Was it as wrong as you trying to quote ppl in your posts without actually using the quote feature of the bulletin system?

I can't even follow your posts. Let alone tell in your posts what someone else said and where your comments begin.

Originally posted by wow this is hard
                This is a proper quote
                So, since I have 'reading problems', that means you'll not actually address issues pertaining to the M2

Originally posted by knightmare
                but do not twist my words around and make me sound like i said a bunch of stuff that i did not.
                I'm not sure how anyone is twisting your words around when they're here for everyone to see.

Originally posted by knightmare
                Ok fine, i appreciate that, and will look into switching things around,
                Finally, we finally got thru to him. Or maybe it was his machine powering down when starting the car that convinced him....
                www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

ok good to see things calmed down..
                  i did agree with you on the points that you were actually right..(regarding the electrical systems of cars)
                  but the thing is that there are hundreds of users here that have gone through the same phase you are in.. the wise thing is to learn from other peoples mistakes.. so at least you can have the chance to make new ones
                  repeating mistakes that happened before is kind of pointless
                  welcome to the forum and believe me when i say that when i first came to these forums i spent 1 month of reading before i even registered!!!!

ps
                  1. Get a DSATX (i am repeating my self i know) you will never regret it
                  2. use as much powerfull pc as you can power and cool..(avoid low power pcs etc.. - people are going to shoot me)
                  look at my car pc's specs and you will understand

Comment

Originally posted by h3rk View Post
                    Neat; humility, civility, clarity... I have to admit, I didn't see it coming, I'll put my flamethrower at order-arms. I had no need to assert my points, but out of pride and some immaturity, I did anyway. And I know from experience that 'crow' tastes like ****.
                    You'll find here that there are many 'but why?' responses to threads about people putting monster gaming PC's in their cars.
                    Understand that in the embedded community (aftermarket and OEM automotive electronics, specifically) much emphasis is placed on making a system that will provide the needed functionality and performance while maintining minimum currents. Some of that philosophy spills over into this hobby. Sure, this forum is full of anal retentive (how's that for Freud, DP) designers, engineers, inventors, audiophiles, users, programmers, farm animals, and even a few normal people with pride in their hobby, that hate to see things that are flawed. Many allow that compulsion to drive them to hang around here and provide guidance to others that are going down a path they know.

A big powerful PC has limited function-based benefits over a smaller, more carefully designed, conservatively spec'd car PC. I think that is where the resistance started.

What do you want your car PC to do for you? For most answers, a smaller, less powerful design will do what is wanted.

Automotive electronics design engineers fight for every microamp that they save these days, and when it comes to car PC's, one day you will see the ulitmate benifit of all of that fighting in future products. Low power consumption provides less heat and less heat provides a higher level of reliability. Reliability and durability is a major concern in this environment. Less voltage switching makes less EMF and noise. Lower power consumption on a macroscopic scale will provide lower emissions and less resource consumption from an ethical point of view.
                    Any bonehead can throw a bigger engine in a car and make it go faster, but does that mean that their lap times will go down?...There is more involved. I could go on forever, but I suspect you get the point, I'm just trying to show you some of the current you were swimming against.
                    Oh, and with respect batteries, higher discharge rates tend to shorten battery life.

I have a DSATX that I use, while at the same time I use less power than the setup you described, well maybe close. I prefer the safety margin. Burned-up circuits don't always end up the way they were originally designed, and after becoming derranged, it is possible they will draw far more current than originally specified, that could cause problems, even with 4 or 2 gauge wire, but the melting point would probably end up being the circuit card or its components. The potential for a fire remains nonetheless. I hope you will find better luck with your questions/ comments from now on, posts with this tone will probably have a better chance of that.

Edit: Besides, why wouldn't you want to save as much room (electrically speaking) as possible for a kick *** stereo system.
                    i would LOVE to build a mini-itx with a C2D and stick with low power, but im BROKE, me and my wife got our first house a few months back and its ruff while she went back to school, so i have low cash flow for toys, especially when i have spares, although not perfectly suited for a car pc, its all i got to work with, and a new PSU costs less than a new PC. so i went with it, its got a low end video card, so its no longer a GAMING rig, but it was orginally meant for that.

so now im thinking maybe ill go with the 320 watt OPUS, anyone know where i can get one?

as for trunk space, i removed my spare tire and mounted a full desktop ATX case on its side, in there under the floor, so there is zero loss of trunk space, and no visible cables, and i still have my amp and subs in the trunk.

i had my 800 p3 in there, but it was WAY too slow. i want to run centrafuse on top of at least xp or vista and have it respond instantly, its what im used to, and im very impatient. i was waiting for multiple seconds for the p3 system just to change songs! i would assume i didnt hit the screen right and hit it again, and that would just make it worse....very frustrating, so i threw in the dual core and that issue has been solved, but now i need more power.
                    Thanks, the ubernoob

Comment

Originally posted by SnyperBob View Post
                      Yeah, I guess my post was "wrong all over". Was it as wrong as you trying to quote ppl in your posts without actually using the quote feature of the bulletin system?

I can't even follow your posts. Let alone tell in your posts what someone else said and where your comments begin.

So, since I have 'reading problems', that means you'll not actually address issues pertaining to the M2

I'm not sure how anyone is twisting your words around when they're here for everyone to see.

Finally, we finally got thru to him. Or maybe it was his machine powering down when starting the car that convinced him....
                      i dont know how to multi quote, big deal

i never fought anyones advise, just some statements that i knew were wrong, like a huge loss in MPG.
                      Thanks, the ubernoob

Comment

Originally posted by Nomader View Post
                        ok good to see things calmed down..
                        i did agree with you on the points that you were actually right..(regarding the electrical systems of cars)
                        but the thing is that there are hundreds of users here that have gone through the same phase you are in.. the wise thing is to learn from other peoples mistakes.. so at least you can have the chance to make new ones
                        repeating mistakes that happened before is kind of pointless
                        welcome to the forum and believe me when i say that when i first came to these forums i spent 1 month of reading before i even registered!!!!

ps
                        1. Get a DSATX (i am repeating my self i know) you will never regret it
                        2. use as much powerfull pc as you can power and cool..(avoid low power pcs etc.. - people are going to shoot me)
                        look at my car pc's specs and you will understand
                        after buying one PSU that couldnt take the load, im afraid of buying another, i fear the DSATX wont handle it with its small 22 watt rating, the OPUS 320 sounds much safer, but if you Truly belive that the DSATX can handle it and others agree, i will prob give it a go, becuase its cheaper and more available at the moment.

and ive read these forums many times, i was planning to do this project years ago and then never did, it was a money problem back then too.

but then recently i said, ive waited long enough and bought the screen. since then i have been sifting through all the little problems along the way.

im pretty much down to this PSU issue, and finding a replacement ribbon cable for my 8 in lilliput, i melted the other one. lol
                        Thanks, the ubernoob

Comment

ok can you do me a favour.. try a power calculator and you will answer your self.. i was in the same dillema..
                          you should search for the power that your AMD cpu draws,
                          i would use an onboard video card..as this one draws a lot i guess..and it is waaay not needed..
                          And 1 more thing..CPU's draw power as musch as they need, so it might work ok for a moment then when you are playing a Divx or something the cpu might draw more..that is why you should check the MAX that the cpu draws.
                          Is the SATA hd a 2.5inch ??

Comment

Originally posted by Nomader View Post
                            ok can you do me a favour.. try a power calculator and you will answer your self.. i was in the same dillema..
                            you should search for the power that your AMD cpu draws,
                            i would use an onboard video card..as this one draws a lot i guess..and it is waaay not needed..
                            And 1 more thing..CPU's draw power as musch as they need, so it might work ok for a moment then when you are playing a Divx or something the cpu might draw more..that is why you should check the MAX that the cpu draws.
                            Is the SATA hd a 2.5inch ??
                            ive done the stupid calcs...they all come out different, most are outdated, and i dont trust them.

i would use onboard too, but my existing mobo does not have onboard, so thats not gonna happen, and i read this vid card only uses 16 watts under load, so i doubt that qualifies as a lot.

ive never heard of a 2.5 in 320gb drive, no its a 3.5 in...they are bigger, cheaper and more readily available, so i shy from using laptop drives. and being that im running vista and i have 7000 mp3s, finding a large enough laptop drive is VERY expensive, and even then they are usually only 5400 rpm.

i think my cpu uses 85 watts under max load.
                            Thanks, the ubernoob

Comment

there are 7200 RPM 2.5 but are expensive..
                              guess you are right have not seen a 320GB 2.5 too (stupid of me)
                              i guess you should be OK with a DSATX.. but check the rails (12volts and 5 volts) independantly..3.5 inches HD use 12v and 5v, while 2,5 use only 5 volts..
                              you will be drawing a lot from the 12 volts rail..

Comment

Working...
                              X