Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIll the M2-ATX provide sufficiant powe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WIll the M2-ATX provide sufficiant powe

    I want to build carputer based off of a Micro-ATX board, so i can useI graphics card along with a 7.1 Sound Card. I am wonder if the M2-ATX 160w Power Supply be sufficent to power the Motheboard a 2.4GHz P4 Proceesor, 100 GB Note book hard Drive, 1 GB Memory, Slim DVD/CD-ROM,along with a video and sound card. and if it doesn't what are some other powersupplys that provide more power but do the same thing as th M2-ATX.

  • #2
    Originally posted by NightHawkFG View Post
    I want to build carputer based off of a Micro-ATX board, so i can useI graphics card along with a 7.1 Sound Card. I am wonder if the M2-ATX 160w Power Supply be sufficent to power the Motheboard a 2.4GHz P4 Proceesor, 100 GB Note book hard Drive, 1 GB Memory, Slim DVD/CD-ROM,along with a video and sound card. and if it doesn't what are some other powersupplys that provide more power but do the same thing as th M2-ATX.
    P4 eliminates the M2 right away. You might be able to power it, but not for long.

    And as you will hear over and over again, unless you do 3d rendering while driving you wont need a P4 and you definately wont need a video card. It will cause you more problems in the end then it is worth. Pentium M or Core 2 duo's are good power efficient and beasty cpus.

    If you already the P4 lying around as a spare, then go ahead and use it. Just be warned. A big heatsink in the car is no good. All that heat on cold days will mean condensation in the winter which could be very very bad. Also the power supply you will need is going to be bigger.

    There are many other options for power supplies. Opus 320 and DS-ATX are probably your best bet. Netiher available in the store. The opus 250 I believe is.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

    Comment


    • #3
      the make special adapter so you can connect it to a P4 or amd system

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NightHawkFG View Post
        the make special adapter so you can connect it to a P4 or amd system
        "Special Adapter"? Are you serious? IT just a cable to use the 4pin part of the power supply. It says it can power a P4, but it cant. Really the M2 is not that powerful. Pentium M systems are ok, but not full blown Pentium 4.

        This has been covered many many times.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

        Comment


        • #5
          so basiclly if i were to build a carputer i would be limited to a via mother

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NightHawkFG View Post
            so basiclly if i were to build a carputer i would be limited to a via mother
            Via or Pentium M, Core 2 Duo, or AMD mobile. No desktop chips if using the M2.
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
              Via or Pentium M, Core 2 Duo, or AMD mobile. No desktop chips if using the M2.
              IYHO (In Your Humble Opinion) ?
              ****************************************
              OLD SYSTEM (DEAD)
              Intel D945GCLF2 Dual Core ATOM
              Lilliput 7" 629GL 2008 LED Backlight
              BU-353 USB GPS Receiver / iGuidance / IGO8
              M2-ATX Power Supply
              RideRunner Front End / Various Skins
              Windows XP SP3

              Comment


              • #8
                I have a M2 and running AMD Athlon XP processor on it, but thats pretty much all it can run. I would recommend going with atleast a 250W power supply, spend the extra bucks, its worth it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  ok but i want one that has a shutdown circuit

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NightHawkFG View Post
                    ok but i want one that has a shutdown circuit
                    You haven't read the specs of all the power supplies in the mp3car.com store, have you?

                    The Opus models all have a shutdown controller.
                    The DSATX has a shutdown controller.
                    Hell, all the ATX-compatible PSUs in the store here have an integrated SDC.
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?



                    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was just reading the specs on the opus DCX6.250 PS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by treetop777 View Post
                        IYHO (In Your Humble Opinion) ?
                        no. FACT.

                        Originally posted by Zeeshan0581 View Post
                        I have a M2 and running AMD Athlon XP processor on it, but thats pretty much all it can run. I would recommend going with atleast a 250W power supply, spend the extra bucks, its worth it.
                        AMD's are known to be less power than their Intel counterparts. I still do not reccommend a desktop chip with the M2. Just becase it *can* power it, doesnt mean it will do so well. The M2 can run overloaded for a little bit. The bigger the overload, the less time it can run. And when it goes, it goes out with a bang. Or usually a small fire taking the motherboard, ram and power supply with it. So save $50 now, and spend another $400 later. Or spend $50 now and to quote from that singing Bass fish "Dont worry, Be happy now"

                        Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                        You haven't read the specs of all the power supplies in the mp3car.com store, have you?

                        The Opus models all have a shutdown controller.
                        The DSATX has a shutdown controller.
                        Hell, all the ATX-compatible PSUs in the store here have an integrated SDC.


                        Originally posted by NightHawkFG View Post
                        I was just reading the specs on the opus DCX6.250 PS
                        So?
                        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Lolll

                          Originally posted by NightHawkFG View Post
                          I was just reading the specs on the opus DCX6.250 PS
                          I was just thinking the same thing mr toaster man

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just be warned. A big heatsink in the car is no good. All that heat on cold days will mean condensation in the winter which could be very very bad.
                            You mean it's the other way around?

                            Ie extreme cold temperatures via phase-change, where you would cool the heatsink down to below dew-point, and this will certainly cause condensation.

                            a Hot heatsink in cold environment will only heat up the car interior, there will be no condensation.
                            F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

                            Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X