Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M2- ATX issues ( searched!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • M2- ATX issues ( searched!)

    I built my CarPC 3 months ago and had everything working right until I started experimenting. Meanwhile, I have two M2-ATX's because I was thinking of feeding a power hungry system before aborting the plan. Here are my problems:

    *** The first M2-atx doesn't seem to deliver power to my mobo. I hear a clicking sound within the m2 when I turn the ignition on. I do not know if that's supposed to be 6feet deep now.

    ***Meanwhile, the second one definitely delivers power to the system (I'm running an Athlon XP MP, two 3.5" HDDs and my touchscreen from the PSU), and when I turn on the ignition, the mobo powers on then cuts off after about 5 seconds. However, if I detach the connector from J8 to mobo on/off pins at one end, cut on the ignition, and then briefly touch the unconnected end to complete the circuit, the PC revs to life and stays on.

    I really do not know what the problem is but it seems to stem from the m2-atx as everything works fine inside the house.

    What could be the problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanx.

  • #2
    Not sure on your first issue, but yeah...it sounds like you've got a short or a fried component.

    As to your second issue, mine does that too. Mine shorted out when plugging the PC back in once. After that the shutdown/startup controller on mine stayed in a "closed" position (like holding down the switch on the computer). It's just plain broken. I built a remote switchbox I use to turn mine on and off now. The M2 seems to be kinda fragile and buggy.

    Comment


    • #3
      and when I turn on the ignition, the mobo powers on then cuts off after about 5 seconds. However, if I detach the connector from J8 to mobo on/off pins at one end, cut on the ignition, and then briefly touch the unconnected end to complete the circuit, the PC revs to life and stays on.

      That's exactly what my ds-atx did, what i did to fix it was change the polarity of the mb to supply cable, ie plug it in the other way
      Maybe that will help

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by at_b View Post
        That's exactly what my ds-atx did, what i did to fix it was change the polarity of the mb to supply cable, ie plug it in the other way
        Maybe that will help
        i don't seem to understand. How did you change the polarity of the mobo to supply cable. I guess I'm a little slow.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NeoMatrixJR View Post
          Not sure on your first issue, but yeah...it sounds like you've got a short or a fried component.

          As to your second issue, mine does that too. Mine shorted out when plugging the PC back in once. After that the shutdown/startup controller on mine stayed in a "closed" position (like holding down the switch on the computer). It's just plain broken. I built a remote switchbox I use to turn mine on and off now. The M2 seems to be kinda fragile and buggy.
          The first one, I think is probably fried. And I think you have an idea of what's wrong with the second one.

          I was also thinking of building a remote switch box too, but I wanted to ask here to get other people's opinions before commencing. Thanks for your reply

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm not adept as to how to connect the wire to make this remote switch.

            Comment


            • #7
              Personally, I used a telephone jack (4 pins) and wired 2 of them to the ext. LED (power LED) pins on the M2-ATX, and then wired the other 2 pins directly to the power switch header on my motherboard. Using a 4-wire (2-line) telephone wire I ran to the front of the car I created a box with another phone jack (I modified a standard surface mount box) with a switch and LED. This way I can see the LED to tell me if the system is on/off/suspended, and use the switch for on/off/hard-off/suspend.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wish I could easily grasp your hack.

                I just tried a quick hack that is also pretty simple just to see what hopes I had..

                I got a switch and connected between the positive wire that goes from the J8 to the mobo switch.

                This momentarily shorts the circuit to power the mobo, and when I depress the switch for 3-5 seconds, it powers off the mobo. My concern now the hard-off affecting my drives and other components.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just received my M2-ATX today as well as the rest of my carputer components and I have the same issue. When you connect the "switch" of the M2 to the mobo power it does nothing, mobo will not start up or do anything. If you touch then remove the jumper cable to one of the reset pins on the mobo itll start up and run fine, if you plug the jumper cable onto the pins, it will start up then turn off 4 or 5 seconds later. Does that mean the M2-ATX is bad?

                  Coming off the M2 and the "switch" connector, what should the jumper cable be connected to on the motherboard?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i just plugged the jumper cable on one of the sides, the other way

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by at_b View Post
                      i just plugged the jumper cable on one of the sides, the other way
                      I'll try this.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by NeoMatrixJR View Post
                        Personally, I used a telephone jack (4 pins) and wired 2 of them to the ext. LED (power LED) pins on the M2-ATX, and then wired the other 2 pins directly to the power switch header on my motherboard. Using a 4-wire (2-line) telephone wire I ran to the front of the car I created a box with another phone jack (I modified a standard surface mount box) with a switch and LED. This way I can see the LED to tell me if the system is on/off/suspended, and use the switch for on/off/hard-off/suspend.
                        I can kinda visualize what you're talking about now. I had to go get a phone wire, and it all made sense, although I am still wondering how to bypass the shorting of the m2-atx.

                        It was a good idea to use a phone wire to mount a switch and power LED. Thanks for the idea.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X