Using two m2-atx's?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using two m2-atx's?

I have searched but nothing has answered MY QUESTIONS?

I have read many bad things about the m2-ATX. I have calculated the power consumption and itís around 140w max. My setup is from Pc club. http://www.pcclub.com/product_system...emno=UPG00071#

My mother board is from biostar and my CPU is an INTEL CELERON 356 my hard drive is from my dell laptop. So that wonít use much power. And a DVD drive and a USB keyboard. Thatís all Iím going to be running off the PS. Will this work? And if it doesnít work could i buy another m2-ATX and wire them together?

1) Likely
    2) No
    Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
    Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
    Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
    Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
    ...it never ends

Comment

Likely? what does that mean. NO what does that mean? I have read that you can wire two m2-ATX's together. I just can't find the post. Mybe i can buy another M2-ATX to power My harddrive and my DVD drive. That means that the first m2-ATX could run the MB and CPU and USB. or i could combine the PSU to supply more power to the system.

Comment

Likely, meaning it's good that you don't have many accessories, but a Celeron D 356 is 86W according to intel's processorfinder, which is kinda on the high side. There's a good chance it will work, but you're right on the edge, I think.

No, meaning you can't connect two together. You can power separate things with two PSUs (even desktop PSUs, it's not M2-ATX specific), but you can't join the PSUs to act like one larger PSU.
        Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
        Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
        Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
        Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
        ...it never ends

Comment

Read this thread -- First diagram is in post #18.

Good luck and do tell us how things work out!
          For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
          Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
          Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

Ok, so now i know that i can use the first m2-ATX to run the motherboard, CPU and USB devices. the HD and DVD drive off the second M2-Atx. Is there any other things that run off of the 12 volt rail? Even though this is an option would it be better to return my m2-ATX and buy a DSATX. not much difference in price.

Comment

Most people also run the LCD screen off the 12V rail as well.
              Typical Load: 0.8 ~ 1.0A

Comment

I was searching this forum and found that my CPU which is a Intel Celeron 356 is rated at 86 watts. does this include the mother board? if it does then it should work with the m2-ATX. I'm using a DDR2 512 memory, 2.5" HD, USB keyboard & mouse ball and dvd drive. later on i will add a GPS antenna. If i use two M2-ATX's which M2-ATX will power what?

Comment

86W / 12V = 7.2A
                  Just the CPU alone would require 90% of M2's 12V rail.

Don't do it, even with two PSUs.

Read this instead.

Comment

so i should send back the M2-ATX and buy the DSATX? will that power what i am running with room to upgrade? By the way i am using a 17" inch wide screen desktop screen. don't ask why and i know its crazy, but thats what i am doing. is there a way to hook up my screen to a M2-ATX?

Comment

Originally posted by LivinLarge View Post
                      so i should send back the M2-ATX and buy the DSATX? will that power what i am running with room to upgrade? By the way i am using a 17" inch wide screen desktop screen. don't ask why and i know its crazy, but thats what i am doing. is there a way to hook up my screen to a M2-ATX?
                      the DS-ATX Opus250 or Opus320.

And there is no way in hell you are going to be able to power that monitor off of any DC-DC PSU I know of.

Those monitors are beasts, and usually require screwy power. A lot of the ones I have installed are 19v inputs, some are 12v inputs, and some are 15v inputs. But to get enough current at 12v, regular PSU's wont work.
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Is mp3car good with returns? another question. would i want to run a M2-ATX plus a DS-ATX. My cpu is rated at 86 + 25 for mother board + DVD Drive 25 + Hdd 2.5"= 5 + DDR2 512 memory= 7.5 =146 all on the 12v rail? or do some of these spread their Watts over 12,5,3.3 rails? and USB key/mouse. If i keep the M2-Atx i could run everything but the CPU and motherboard off of it.

Comment

Working...
                        X