M2-ATX Better Crimp On Connectors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2-ATX Better Crimp On Connectors?

I want to find some type of connector (crimp on or solder) that would turn my 3 M2-ATX wires into a nice little socket. I would then do the same to the +,-,rem wires. Basically have all 3 wires on the M2 turn into 1 MALE wire and all the other set of wires be the FEMALE. I was thinking of using a molex connector but the gauge is different so I don't think that would work. I can't find anything like this. Does anyone know what these are called or know of one? Thanks.

Search for AMP plugs/connectors, or even Molex have a huge variety of different plugs and connectors.
    F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

As my system is built into an aluminium box, I just put in one of those female 3 pronged connectors used on normal PC's and conncted the wires from teh m2 to the back of the connector. I then connected the wires from the car (12v, ground & acc) to the male connector.

I installed my carpc into my pet Kangaroo, mate.

Comment

Nice idea NiSlo, will look very neat too.

Comment

Very cool. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Comment

NiSlo, I can't find that online. Where did you buy it?

Comment

I bought it from an Australin place called Jaycar.
              www.jaycar.com.au

Comment

I ordered a 9 pin molex connector from Parts express so I could tie the power ground and accy from the m2atx's, as well as 12v, 5v, remote, and 2 grounds. Easy plug and unplug opperation.
                Aron
                New Ipad
                Zapco DSP-6SL
                Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 right side
                Zapco Reference 360.4: H-Audio Soul, x2 left side
                Zapco Reference 500.1: JL Audio 10W3V3 Stealth box

Comment

I used a Molex five pin mating connector set that I got off the shelf at Fry's. Three for the M1 power, switched input and ground. The other two feed 12V and 5V out of the PC. The 12V runs my Xenarc. 5V is for future use.
                  ~Jimmy

Comment

@ NisLo: You have 2 males there?
                    F6 Tornado Project Log ; HP Blackbird Watercooled Server

Beta Tester for Centrafuse and 3dConnexion (No business affiliation with either)

Comment

I use those standard plugs too. I just took the male end from an old ATX power supply and hacked a power cord for the female power wire end. Easy... and the female end is protected so it won't short on something in the trunk when it's not connected.

I have a separate 4 pin molex connector (from PSU hard drive wires) for powering my screen (12v) and dash usb devices (5v), which I hacked up a 3-prong extension cord to connect to my front devices. I have yet another wire (interal cd-rom audio wire) that connects to my reset switch via thin speaker wire.

Comment

Thanks for the idea crooper. I just cut up some old parts and got exactly what I needed. It works out perfect!

Comment

Originally posted by mrbean_phillip View Post
                          @ NisLo: You have 2 males there?
                          As I do. Wrong picture .
                          The plug pictured is the wrong one.

Comment

This worked out great. Much easier. I also want to say that I use an FM Modulator and the (fuzzy) noise coming from the idle computer has decreased. I'm not sure if it is the plastic or what but there must be something preventing the interference from escaping the wires.

Comment

I should add that I simply cut off the back plate of my original micro atx power supply, and kept the power switch attached to the plug. It cuts off the +12v line to kill power to the computer completely. Very useful. I used it as a valet switch until i installed a more convenient (glove box) one on my rem line.

Comment

Working...
                              X