Trouble with powering my dell optiplex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with powering my dell optiplex

Hey all.. Bear with me, I'm a complete newb when it comes to in car computers.

I got a Dell Optiplex and started it up in my house. It works fine. I set it up in my car and I can't get it to boot up. It just beeps like it is trying, but not getting enough power.

I plug it into an extension cord and it works fine so I know it's not the computer.

I got a 2 plug accessory adapter that I spliced into my radio power. I got a 75w inverter and plug it in. The monitor works fine, but the pc does not seem to have enough power to boot up.

Is there something I can get that will increas the power that comes out of the adapter so I can make this thing work? If I wire the adapter direct to the battery will this help?

I've searched on the subject for a few hours and I can't fine anything that helps so I'm hoping that one of you masters of technology can help me out.

Thanks in advance,
    Sean

I got a Dell Optiplex and started it up in my house. It works fine. I set it up in my car and I can't get it to boot up. It just beeps like it is trying, but not getting enough power.

that pretty much answered your own question.
    http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inv...aq.html#hookup
    this site will help to figure out what you need.

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I figured that was the case. So I'm getting that I need to get a 700w inverter and wire it direct from my battery.

This should fix my issue? How will my alternator handle it? It's either an 80 or 90A alternator.

Comment

might want to also consider doing it the right way & getting a real dc-dc power supply, also most have built in startup/shutdown controllers too, so much better than a inverter install for so many reasons...
        MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Working...
        X