Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sproggy and Heat Sinks

Dumb question....

What items on the Sproggy really need heat sinks? I am kinda guessing just the Max787, Max788 and the LM2587.....

The MBR745's don't need one do they?

Also do any of the above mentioned chips need to have there back plate attached to ground?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Sproggy and Heat Sinks

Originally posted by dug1967
    Dumb question....

What items on the Sproggy really need heat sinks? I am kinda guessing just the Max787, Max788 and the LM2587.....

The MBR745's don't need one do they?

Also do any of the above mentioned chips need to have there back plate attached to ground?

Thanks in advance.
    check www.sproggy.com i cant see any reason to but a heatsink where it aint needed.

some of them need to have their back plates DEtached from the ground, and heatsinks

search
    -
    My cars
    -

Comment

Well thanks JOL, I have spent many hours looking through that site... as many of us have.

It is just kinda vauge to me on the issue of heat sinks, it says use a heat sink, it shows a picture of a heat sink with all chips mentioned (Max787, Max 788, LM2587 and MRB745's attached to it. But is it really necessary?????

The parts list also mentions that you must isolate the MBR745 from the heat sink.....

What I am really looking for is some real world, experience kinda input....

Does any body have a Sproggy out there that is working fine without heat sinks?

Has someone went without heat sinks and burned it up in a few hours, or days, or weeks, etc....

And I really don't undertand the back plate on packages like this. Are they just a heat sink? Are they the ONLY ground connection? Are they a redundant ground?

Any input?

Comment

Yes the MBR745 diodes need heatsinks. At full load they will generate greater than 2.5W each.

The PCB was designed so a single heatsink interface can be used for all 5 TO220 devices. The MBR745 diodes must be electrically isolated from ground potential. Simply use a $0.03 heatsink isolation washer for that.

Sproggy

Comment

Now that is service.....

Kinda like asking "What does that stupid grin on the Mona Lisa really mean?" and having Divinci come back and say

"Well the chair she was sitting on was upside down"....

Thanks a bunch Sproggy....

Exactly the info I needed.

Comment

Well, about heatsink size, the one I used was 1 piece of aluminium "sheet" about 3mm thick, that is just big enough to fit all the heatsink requiring parts on.. and, it gets warm, but not hot at all.....
            2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
            register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Working...
            X