DC-DC car power supply for ITX case

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-DC car power supply for ITX case

In looking for a DC - DC supply for the ITX case I came upon Lind Electronics. They make cigarette lighter adapters for notebooks, etc. I called them and they said they can supply a 12V 5A cigarette lighter supply for US$ 99.95 and they will even put on whatever plug you need to to fit the connector on the case.

They're at http://www.lindelectronics.com/ .

Mehul

Outstanding news! Is there any special model number or such that should be referenced when calling? And was there any mention of shipping charges?
    KG6OQD
    www.americansandassociation.org

Comment

No specific model number.

I first looked at the website and looked at the specs for almost all their notebook adapters one by one. (Took a while!!) Then I called them (should have done that first) and asked if they had something like I wanted. They said they did not carry one like that but they have custom built units with these specs in the past and it would be no problem.

I was asked about the size of the connector I needed so they could put it on. That's why I haven't ordered one yet, because I can't figure out the size. (Any help on this would be appreciated - it's the cupid case with the external (obviously) PSU).

I don't know about shipping. About 2-3 days lead time to ship though.

The $99.95 price seems to be standard for most of their models.

Mehul

Comment

Another interesting product on their website:

A shutdown timer

Comment

mrandery, could you ask about a group purchase for a qty of 10 or more?

Comment

I'l call them on Monday and post what I find out. First I need to know the size of the connector. If I can't find out, I'll have to put in a new one to fit.

Comment

I'm interested too. I'm about to put together an ITX system using one of the Morex cases...this is just what I need.

Hemi
              Hemi

---------------------------------
              1999 Chevy Silverado LS
              Eclipse CD5441
              Factory Speakers
              MTX Road Thunder 2CH (280W bridged)
              8" Bazooka Tube
              Compaq iPAQ 3835

Comment

Here's the info I found on the supply that comes with the Cubid cases:

Pic: http://www.mini-itx.com/reviews/2677...morex0033L.jpg

In Mini-ITX's review of the case, they provided a link to ILAN, the manufacturer of the AC-DC supply. I did some digging on their site, and found this PDF: http://www.eps-biz.com/pdf/F19603A.pdf

The link I found was busted, but I hacked the URL - it looks to be the real deal. Go to the 9th page....w00t!

5.5x2.5 or 5.5x2.1 (mm), positive in the middle, ground on the outside. I think that's what we needed.

Hemi
                Hemi

1999 Chevy Silverado LS
                Eclipse CD5441
                Factory Speakers
                8" Bazooka Tube
                Compaq iPAQ 3835

Comment

Perfect. I'll call them tomorrow first thing.

I went to Radio Shack and tried on some of their "Adaptaplugs" to figure out a fit and found that a plug that was 5.5mm/2.8mm fits, so this must be correct.

Comment

Rip the sucker open and post the parts they use will ya?

I am working on a power regulator for this myself but I have not managed to get the damn thing working yet. I wired it up 3 times on my breadboard tonight and something is amiss. I think I have a bad component somewhere.
                    2002 Z-71 Rolling with an ITX MOBO, 10.4" touchscreen, 40 Gig HD, and a DVD ROM.

http://www.truckputer.com

Comment

Mehul - any news? Just curious if you called them yet...

Update us when you have a chance.

Thanks!

Hemi
                      Hemi

1999 Chevy Silverado LS
                      Eclipse CD5441
                      Factory Speakers
                      8" Bazooka Tube
                      Compaq iPAQ 3835

Comment

I'm interested as well. This would work to power and Eden wouldn't it?

Comment

does ITX use a standard ATX power supply plug on the motherboard? If so, could this power supply be used to power a shuttle FV24?
                          24 y/o w/ Silver/Red
                          2000 Honda S2000

http://www.squeezer.net

Comment

Finally got around to calling them.

They will give a discount of 10% for orders of about 10+, we could probably get them to discount even if we order only 7-8. Shipping rates info here.

What it is:

An adapter to power the Morex mini-ITX case directly from the car, without going through an inverter. This adapter replaces the cases external AC-DC converter.

RE: the question about the Shuttle board - Since the mini-ITX board uses a standard ATX supply, this power supply should work with other ATX boards, BUT, I do not know about the current requirements for other ATX supplied boards, so this should be checked.

From what I understand, the case maker does not sell the internal DC-DC ATX supply separately, you would have to buy the case.

For those that are interested, please send a PM to me soon so I can gauge interest. I'll call and set up a system with a sales rep. at the company and everyone can call them directly to order.

(For my system, I am going to be using a custom supply made by them in which one adapter will have two outlets, one for the mini-ITX and one for the LCD - 12 Volts 8 Amps total - still don't know the price)

Mehul

Comment

80-90 bucks seems steep for a 12V 5amp regulator. I bet if we could get one and gut it out the parts would be less than 30 dollars.
                              2002 Z-71 Rolling with an ITX MOBO, 10.4" touchscreen, 40 Gig HD, and a DVD ROM.

http://www.truckputer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X