Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote relay for Opus 150W... What do you think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote relay for Opus 150W... What do you think?

Well, I want to find a way to completely shut power off to the PSU after I turn the car off. So I was looking at relays and I stumbled across this. I have found 0 reviews of it so far, but I'm tempted to buy it. What do you guys make of it? Should I give it a shot?
    CarPC: 100%
    Software: 100%
    Amps/Subs: 0% (on hold)
    Fabrication: Need help!!! Someone in Boston area who can help me with this please send me a PM.

Originally posted by BRow86 View Post
    Well, I want to find a way to completely shut power off to the PSU after I turn the car off.
    Why?
    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

The Opus will eventually drain the battery--even in standby-- after enough time passes (it cuts off around 11v, which is not nearly enough to start the car). I thing this would be a good way to completely kill the power going to the PSU after I shut the car off. Either this or I could get a switch, but, knowing me, I'd already be outside my car before I realized that I had left the PSU in standby, so I think I might invest in this.
      CarPC: 100%
      Software: 100%
      Amps/Subs: 0% (on hold)
      Fabrication: Need help!!! Someone in Boston area who can help me with this please send me a PM.

Comment

Hello, I have been reading to try to solve the exact same problem, power drain over time with the Opus 150. I have found a circuit suggested by Laidback here, which should perform this function automatically based on the ACC line and a computer output (so the coil stays charged until computer is shutdown). I like the remote switch idea as well. Can someone offer any advice on the old relay circuit, such as concerns, component recommendations? I plan to let the Opus control shutdown and use the relay for final power cutoff.

Comment

Originally posted by FeynmanSum View Post
          Hello, I have been reading to try to solve the exact same problem, power drain over time with the Opus 150. I have found a circuit suggested by Laidback here, which should perform this function automatically based on the ACC line and a computer output (so the coil stays charged until computer is shutdown). I like the remote switch idea as well. Can someone offer any advice on the old relay circuit, such as concerns, component recommendations? I plan to let the Opus control shutdown and use the relay for final power cutoff.
          The Opus by default adheres to usb standards for power 'always on' (notice the light on your optical mouse even when the system is off?). Although minute, it is always on. I sent my Opus to their tech guys and asked them to modify the power supply so power is completely off when shut down and it works great.

Just my $0.02
          "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -AE

Comment

I will try contacting them about this, thank you.

Comment

I have emailed Opus about this 2 x already and have never gotten a responce. Did you call, email, and if so who?

Thanks

Comment

I emailed the Opus support team and received an RMA number. The cost for the modification is 20 dollars, payable with check or money order. The turn around is one day. I would suggest going to the website again and email the support folks, it may take them a day or two to reply.

Comment

Working...
                X