Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise / interference issues

Hi all,

I know this has been covered a lot and i've been looking through the previous posts on this subject but i'm still having issues and just want to exhaust my options before turning to a ground loop isolator. This mainly because i'll eventually end up running a digital recording setup.

my setup:
    head unit
    powerbook
    600w inverter

So the sound is perfect until i plug my powerbook/laptop in to the stereo aux when its being powered powered by the inverter - I get a massive buzz/noise through the system With the inverter off its fine.

I have tried grounded everything to the same point with no change. Have tried different aux cables - no change.

So the only things i can think of at this point are:
    * the fact that the inverter approximates a sine wave (instead of the pure sine wave)
    * maybe i need to customly ground the powerbook (?? - e.g run a cable from the metal chassis inside the laptop [but i've never had any interefence issues before])
    * kill or replace the fan in the inverter (seems to be the source of interference really) (this is my preferred option at this stage)
    * just go out and grab a ground loop isolator

Any ideas?!!? words of wisdom much appreciated!

-mike

Have you seen this FAQ perchance?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=8

however, I will suggest you replace your inverter with a product that was designed specifically for the CarPC market - a DC-DC PSU.

10:1 it will immediately remove the noise issue you're running into.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
    X