Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M2 ATX installation trouble with ignition signal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2 ATX installation trouble with ignition signal?

I tried my m2 atx but can't boot up.

When I test the fuse tap I'm using (radio fuse) it shows 12 volts when the car is NOT switched on. does this mean It's not sending an on signal to the m2 atx that car is on?

the computer fans spin, but never seems to send a signal to the on/off switch.

I tested the ignition key switch and it also shows 12 volts on a hot side when no key is turned and car is not on. Is this my problem?

thankyou

well I'm realizing that the ign signal wire from m2 atx should go to a source that is "zero" until key is turned. and since my mulitmeter says the fuse tapped line has 12 volts even when car is off, that must be my problem.

so how do you guys tap into a 12 wire that is hot only when key is on? i'm going to have to splice wires from a cigarette lighter? (i have 3 in my frontier and some only work when car is on)

surprised that being on the forum I never heard of how people wire this line. I only read how you wire the constant wire and the grounds.

Comment

Try tapping another fuse. What kind of vehicle do you have? This will help you get more detailed responses.

There is usually an ACC fuse you can use.
      2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

You need a wire from the auxiliary position of the switch.
        In other words find a wire to anything that only works when the ignition is on and tap into that

Comment

Originally posted by brodgar View Post
          You need a wire from the auxiliary position of the switch.
          In other words find a wire to anything that only works when the ignition is on and tap into that
          Suggestions:

Radio wiring harness
          Cigarette lighter
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

well, it doesn't look good. I found a good place for the ign. signal wire. I tested it and only has juice when car is on. the power supply turns on the fans when car starts, but nothing ever posts.

motheboard works fine on regular atx powesupply.

the board is a Asus a7n8x deluxe socket A462.

My M2 ATX is a 90 watt, but I'm only running a hardrive, and 2 fans plus cpu fan. I even unplugged the 2 big fans to see if more juice allowance would help. but the computer would still not post.

How can m2 ATX's run Pentium 4's if it can't run my old AMD?

anyone ever use this motherboard with a m2 atx?

I'm going to try other jumper settings on the m2 atx. (i only tried the suggested one.)

Comment

Maybe the polarity of the power switch is flipped.
              2007 Honda Fit Sport 1.5L SOHC-VTEC

Comment

I think I tried turning that, I will check again.

but the mother board fans did come on only when I turned my car on. so wouldn't that mean the switch is working?

thanks for the help everyone.

i'm getting pretty close to just buying a mac mini and an inverter.. LOL

no, don't have the money.

Comment

well, Stupid *** me.

I went back to check on wattage calculators and it seems i have the WORST power consumer. The socket A amd is 60 watts alone. (over 1000 mhz) plus the Asus A7n8x deluxe motherboard is massive front side bus and extras on it.

I tried taking a stick of ram out and it still could'nt boot up.

should I get 160 watt m2 atx or should I get a different motherboard that uses less power?

Comment

And this, ladies and gentlemen is why it is recommended to plan your setup thoroughly before purchasing any hardware.

Really, at this point, you have two choices: NEw motherboard/CPU or new PSU. You realize that.
                    It's a matter of determining which one is going to be more cost-effective for you.
                    How about the Wiki?

Comment

yes sir. you're right that I'm stupid for not planning better.

but, I am at least checking everything out now and making sure it's right before it goes into the car. For example, I bought a multimeter and am thankful I did, because it made finding a switched acc. line easier.

sure enough, the computer boots fine on my regular 300 watt atx psu.

I went ahead and ordered a 160 watt m2 atx since my whole set up is based on the m2 dimensions and stuff. I think that should make a big difference from the 90 watt m2 atx that couldn't power my cpu. Even with the 160 Watt, I imagine I will have to limit what I plug into my socket A462 setup.

thanks for all the help.

Comment

Did youever read this?

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=6
                        How about the Wiki?

Comment

I did now, and that explains a lot.

the 160 watt m2 atx claims up to 8 A on the 12V rail, so that should be enough.
                          can't find what the 90 watt m2 atx 12V rail was, but it's too low for my setup I guess.

thanks for posting the link to the 12V rail power supply thread.

Comment

Underclock your processor by reducing the FSB from 400 to 266 mhz. Cuts cpu speed -- and therefore power comsumption -- by almost half. I do this with my Socket A / M2 setup. You can also disable all the mobo features you don't use (gameport, serial, parallel, ethernet, etc). I can't remember if that mobo allows you to undervolt things or not (I have one in a home computer).

Also, it kinda sounds like you have your +12v (constant) and IGN (switched) wires reversed. Also, a good way to tap the cigarette lighter (especially if you use it to switch on your amps too) is to put a relay on it.

Comment

M2 ATX Ignition Wiring

I was wondering if anyone would know, or be able to point me in the right direction. I'm trying to figure out which wire coming out of the back of the radio is the ignition or 'remote on' so I can tap into. It's a 2007 Mazda 3 and it's the last wire I have to run. Thanks for any information in advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X