Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POWER PROBLEM! what to do when its comin from desktop?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POWER PROBLEM! what to do when its comin from desktop?!

Well ive read through all the FAQ's and i have not come to this solution!

my computer was once a sony home pc but is taken apart & upgraded a bit [ram + HD]

the power comes from this box in the pic below

but we all know we cant just plug it into an outlet without usin an inverter, however i want to use a DC-DC adapter. How would i connect a DC-Dc adapter to this? I used pics so you can do referencees for me.

2006 Mazda 6
    12" elemental design 13kv2
    9.2 Amp
    pioneer 6x8's
    boltons..

future mod: my first car PC

Nobody can see your pictures. Just upload them to imageshack or someplace and then use the direct link in the little image tags here [IMG]www.myimage.com/blah.jpg[/ IMG]

And as long as it has an ATX supply, it is direct plugin. If not, you need to find a pinout of the PS, and figure out which ATX wire cooresponds to the proprietary wire.,
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

it is an atx but there are many wires coming from the 'inverter/box' that power my dvd drive and yada yada yada.
      2006 Mazda 6
      9.2 Amp
      pioneer 6x8's
      boltons..

Comment

lmao

By "inverter/box" do you mean a power supply?

And in the phrase "it's an atx" do you mean the motherboard physical size, or the power supply socket? You can get a uATX or mini-ITX with an ATX PSU connector on the board.

And your dvd drive, and hard drive should be powered by molex connectors that all PSU's included a dc-dc will have.

I seriously suggest you try to build a PC or at least take yours apart to figure it out, before you buy anything. It seems like you lack basic PC knowledge, which is something that could be fixed with a little reading. Save yourself some money and time and do it right and know what you are doing.

Also what specs does this computer have? Desktop processor == not efficient == need big (expensive) dc-dc PSU
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

ya power supply lol.

as for taking apart and that stuff i already did, however i dont want to touch the power supply because i am 100% unfamiliar with that thing and im not 100% how to run the DC-DC to the actual hard drive/ other drives [with the 4 pin connector] unless its as easy as running one from the power supply by plug and play.

With the DC-DC would i have to solder anything or buy extra 4 pin adapters?

I plan on gettin an opus 150W if everything works out as planned.
          2006 Mazda 6
          9.2 Amp
          pioneer 6x8's
          boltons..

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeyd08 View Post
            ya power supply lol.

as for taking apart and that stuff i already did, however i dont want to touch the power supply because i am 100% unfamiliar with that thing and im not 100% how to run the DC-DC to the actual hard drive/ other drives [with the 4 pin connector] unless its as easy as running one from the power supply by plug and play.
            The DC-DC power supply replaces the AC-DC power supply (what you pictured).

With the DC-DC would i have to solder anything or buy extra 4 pin adapters?
            No.
            I plan on gettin an opus 150W if everything works out as planned.
            I suggest you do some reading before you make a purchase. Insure that the DC-DC PSU model you're looking at will power the PC hardware you're looking at.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

problem solved,

like darque said it just replaces the whole unit and they come with the similar wires.
              2006 Mazda 6
              9.2 Amp
              pioneer 6x8's
              boltons..

Comment

Working...
              X