Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-DC Power supply for in-car XBOX solution

Hi all

I have spent many hours reading on this forum (and others) to try find the best way to run my XBOX 1.0 in my car. I have the video/audio working properly (factory lcd screen/stereo running off the cars battery).

So all thats left is to power the XBOX off 12V DC.

After reading a lot of ways that people do it, I've come to the conclusion that this is the best way:

1) Use the M2-ATX 160W DC-DC PSU - http://store.mp3car.com/ProductDetails.asp...uctCode=PWR-015
    - ATX, 6-24V wide input range
    - Survives vehicle engine cranks
    - 15A automotive fuse (mini-blade)

OR use the OPUS 180W DC-DC ATX/BTX - http://www.opussolutions.com/index.php?p=product&id=56
    - Built in auto shutdown
    - Delayed shutdown timer
    - Wide input voltage range
    - Does not Re-boot PC during engine restart/cranking
    - Start-up and shut-down voltage selection
    - Automatic shutdown at low battery voltage to protect battery
    +5 V: 10A max, 13A pk
    +3.3V: 10A max, 13A pk
    5 V SB: 1.6 A max, 2.5 A pk
    -12 V: 0.5 A max, 0.6 A pk
    +12 V: 8A max, 12A pk

Either of these two power suplies will give me the 12V DC and 5V DC which is required by the XBOX.

2) Also the XBOX requires 3.3VSB (standby voltage) to operate. There is a converter available which will convert the above power supplys 5VSB to 3.3VSB - http://diy.sickmods.net/Tutorials/Xbox1/Po...Supply_Pinouts/

Id really like it for you guys to provide some positive/negative feedback on this and let me know if im on the right track or not.

Thank you very much

Michael.

Do you do a lot of gaming while driving? I don't see the purpose of an Xbox in the car as it's hard to have 2 hands on the controller and on the wheel at the same time. Unless you plan to integrate the buttons from the controller into the steering wheel... hmm... but then there's still the "eyes on the road" issue.

Regardless, the hardware seems like it would check out. Make sure you check the wattage drawn by the Xbox. I remember it being pretty high compared to a PC.

Comment

If you have a modded xbox then it makes a great media center. Can't do as much as a pc, but if you are looking for a cheap solution it can't be beat.

Comment

The modded xbox is an excellent in car solution. Xbox Media Centre launches upon turning on the unit, and with a 320 gig hdd inside it is jam packed with games, mp3's, music videos and movies (some raunch stuff too just for the hell of it). During driving the passengers can do whatever they want with it. The main purpose of the xbox is the mp3/music video functionality. Once a playlist is loaded is only a matter of pressing one button on the controller or remote and it skips songs. The factory volume buttons on the steering wheel control the stereos volume so its not distracting at all.

What I really want to know however, is if my 12V power solution will work or not

Cheers

Comment

So any suggestions people?

I really need to get started on ordering these parts from the States as it will take a good few weeks maybe for items to be shipped over to Australia.

Thanks.

Comment

Hey XF_Falcon. I have a modded Xbox and God knows it is the most advanced Media Center (hardware+software wise) of any kind on the planet IMO. Not even d Altech Mediagate/Mvix MV series/Vantec Avox come close. But do you really need it? No. Just the size alone is a turn off. I was going to do it too, but changed my mind. You can try those I mentioned above if what you're looking for is a hardware to play mvidz, n mp3s.

I mean, its all ur choice. Heres something on the 12v xbox you'll love btw if you havent stumbled on it:
            http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Mods/12V%20Mini%20Xbox.htm
            [HL]My Worklog (~75% complete, but fully functional)[/HL]:
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...t-install.html

Comment

I just used a M1-ATX (90 watts)...but I had to use one of those Apache converters because of the 3.3V standby...same as the sickmods...so yes, it will work

Newer Skin I've been using

Comment

SWEET skin bro. Do you use the xbox remote control or it works with your screen, supposing it is touch screen capable?

Comment

gokee2 the xbox fits nicely inside the actual spare wheel which can still fit in the spare tyre well and is covered by the factory boot carpet in my car, so its not even visible (so size isnt an issue in this case) cheers tho.

Tranman thanks for the response. Its good to hear that someones used an almost identical setup and its worked successfully for them. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations about the way I'll be doing it?

Comment

Hi, I bought an Opus 150w PSU from a person on ebay who was using it to power his xbox up.....just a few days ago infact. If you having trouble, I can give the guy a call and ask him if he'll sell me that cable/converter you need, as he is looking to sell that too.

Be aware however, you do need soldering skills to attach the PSU to the XBOX!!

Comment

Well tonight i tried a mates 'modified sine wave' inverter which runs off the ciggy lighter power... boy does it have terrible audio and video noise - with the xbox not even turned on yet!! If all inverters are like this i think i'll definitely invest in a 12V DC solution!!!

BiG K if you could contact that ebay seller that would be great, thanks

Comment

XF Falcon,
                        I hope you give it a shot and really pursue this. Did you check out the link I posted above? Interesting, as at that time. I'm getting a 500gig HDD w/ a Lantec usb 2.0 enclosure that I will strap onto my carputer (maybe with velcro d) lol. I've gotta do something with the power also because it 5V too... Research time.

Do update on this though. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by gokee2 View Post
                          XF Falcon,
                          I hope you give it a shot and really pursue this. Did you check out the link I posted above? Interesting, as at that time. I'm getting a 500gig HDD w/ a Lantec usb 2.0 enclosure that I will strap onto my carputer (maybe with velcro d) lol. I've gotta do something with the power also because it 5V too... Research time.

Do update on this though. Good luck.
                          Yup I checked out the link. Unfortunately I cannot find the power supply on llamma.com that they speak of in that link. I have however sent them an email this morning to see if they still sell them or not.

I'm just dying to be able to drive my car out of the garage with the xbox actually running!

Comment

Updates

Any updates to your project XF? I really would like to do the same thing but wanted some insight from someone who has already done it so I don't screw it up.

Thanks,

Cornduke

Comment

Originally posted by cornduke View Post
                              Any updates to your project XF? I really would like to do the same thing but wanted some insight from someone who has already done it so I don't screw it up.

Thanks,

Cornduke
                              Hi Cornduke,

Unfortunately the only progress so far is my xbox skin. I made a XR6 Turbo skin a few weeks back (see photo at the end).

As for the power solution, like yourself, I am finding it hard to get answers from people who have gone down this path before

Ive found a place which sells the power supplys in Australia - http://www.advanceae.com.au/ but they only have the 150W Opus one (not the 180W) and im not sure if this will do the job or not??

Sooo my only decision now is which power supply to use. Heres my choices:

A) Opus 150W from advanceae.com.au. Costs $275 AUD but it is out of stock at the moment. It also sells for $181 AUD (after conversion) from the store.mp3car.com website, but im not sure how much it costs to get it shipped over to Australia (might work out a lot cheaper though!)

B) Opus 180W (advanceae does not stock this item). Cant find it for sale in Australia either. This is out of stock from the manufacturers website, and they estimate about 3 weeks before they have some. Price will be $211 AUD (after conversion). They are able to ship to Australia. Not sure if 180W is needed for the XBOX or if 150W is more than enough.

C) M2-ATX 160W power supply. Cant find it for sale in Australia either, and it works out to be $108 AUD (after conversion) and not sure about postage costs.

D) Mp3Car DSATX 220 W Power Supply. Never heard of this one before, but the current it puts out is pretty decent. Not sure if its overkill or not... works out to be about $193 AUD and once again not sure about postage costs.

E) And last is a Generic 250 Watt 12 Volt Power Supply from advanceae.com.au. It sells for only $94 AUD so not sure how good/bad it is. There is no technical specs so im not sure if it has intelligent startup/shutdown controllers and unsure what its current output on the 12V, 5V and 3.3V lines are.

If anyone has any input please feel free to provide assistance! I want to get this working so badly right now...

Here is the skin:

Comment

Working...
                              X