On going OPUS 150 Problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On going OPUS 150 Problems

Well this has been going on for about 3 years and I have not been able to get any answers so I am about to take the whole computer out of the car.

When the OPUS is started it will start up for a few second and get to the POST of the computer then turn off, I need to unplug it wait about 2 mins then plug it back in to get it to start up correctly.

It works maybe 5% of the time when I do this and normally takes 6-10 tries to get the computer to boot up.

I am running a normal sized Motherboard, WD 60HD, 512MB Ram and that is all.

Any ideas before I scrap this forever? I have talked to OPUS and all they stated was it was the connector so I took the connectors out of the mix and soldered the wires direct same exact problem.

Before any asks the OPUS is getting a solid 12V-16V never drops below 12V any time.

The car is a 2004 Mazda3 GT

-Devin

have you tried with a different mobo?
    maybe it's not the psu, but the mobo?
    just a guess, might be worth testing...

Greetz

Dj NRG

Comment

There's a thread about a short in the OPUS 150w. It consist of puting a small piece of tape between the case and an electronic part.

Im searchin, as soon as I find it I'll post the link here.
      VmtSquad - I sold my soul to Honda!
      Final Install
      CarPC progress: 95%

Comment

I have not as I only have the one mobo scared to pick up another one just to find out its not it

Originally posted by Dj-[NRG] View Post
        have you tried with a different mobo?
        maybe it's not the psu, but the mobo?
        just a guess, might be worth testing...

Greetz

Dj NRG

Comment

That link would be great, I to will try to search it out.

Originally posted by VmtSquad View Post
          There's a thread about a short in the OPUS 150w. It consist of puting a small piece of tape between the case and an electronic part.

Im searchin, as soon as I find it I'll post the link here.

Comment

found this:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...opus-150w.html

But that coil is a good inch away from the cover?

Comment

i think the coils touches the top cover (the one with the fan attached to it), because that cover comes right next to that 8pin connector...

well, put some tape on it anyway, and see if it helped...

Greetz

Dj NRG

Comment

i had to do that tape trick, had the same problem about a year ago. Also since you will have the case open, unplug the fan, it gets really loud after 2 years of use. just fyi.
                The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
                CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
                PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
                Memory:1G
                Drives:160gig
                WI-FI:Cingular
                GPS:IG2k9
                Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
                The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

I took the whole top part off same problem expect now it works maybe 20% of the time which is an improvment.

I should also mention this is my second OPUS 150 as I thought the first OPUS was the problem so I bought a brand new one.

-Devin

Comment

I think you might be running too much off a little opus power supply unit. P4's are notorious for using crap loads of power!! A 250w PSU might be more of your needs!
                    And Asus motherboards...........don't make me go there! Asus make crap motherboards!! I don't think you could have made a worser choice when it comes to CPU's!!

Also, why it might only boot up after a few times, the most stressfull times for a PSU is when a computer is cold booted, as everything needs power and stuff like CD drives and dvd drives needs ALOT of power when spinning up!

Comment

Working...
                    X