battery/power problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery/power problem

I'm having a serious power/battery related problem. My CarPC was installed roughly laster July/August. This February my battery died. It was the stock battery on my 04 stratus. When I replaced it I thought I was being smart and replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top. This was in March, and today I went to start my car, and sure enough it was dead.

I haven't made any hardware/wiring changes in months, so I don't understand how it could have been drained, but even a deep cycle battery like the yellow top should last a hell of a lot longer than 6 months.

My configuration is roughly like this: cable running from the battery straight to the trunk (fused of course) to a fused distribution block which then powers my pc, amp, line driver and xm direct box. All hardware turns on with ignition and shuts off when I turn the car off. Is my problem in my wiring? or am I unlucky with batteries? Should I buy a cheap battery next and see how long it lasts? or try another optima? thanks if anyone can help

Originally posted by KyACRASH View Post
    I'm having a serious power/battery related problem. My CarPC was installed roughly laster July/August. This February my battery died. It was the stock battery on my 04 stratus. When I replaced it I thought I was being smart and replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top. This was in March, and today I went to start my car, and sure enough it was dead.

I haven't made any hardware/wiring changes in months, so I don't understand how it could have been drained, but even a deep cycle battery like the yellow top should last a hell of a lot longer than 6 months.

My configuration is roughly like this: cable running from the battery straight to the trunk (fused of course) to a fused distribution block which then powers my pc, amp, line driver and xm direct box. All hardware turns on with ignition and shuts off when I turn the car off. Is my problem in my wiring? or am I unlucky with batteries? Should I buy a cheap battery next and see how long it lasts? or try another optima? thanks if anyone can help
    Well first off, have no fear because Optimas usually have a 3year warranty. If they go within the first year, you get a new battery no questions asked. After the first year they pro-rate the value as a discount towards a new battery. Of course you need your receipt, or you need to have registered it. I have my receipt taped to that yellow plastic top that cover the battery in my garage.

Secondly, if the PC were to normally drain your battery, it would have way before 6 months.

So I would go to Autozone, have them check the alternator. It is free. I would also check for loose connections on the battery terminals. That held me up for a long time.

Also just so you know a PC does drain power when "off" because it never fully gets to off (Soft Off) unless you physically detach the power (Hard Off).

What PSU do you have?
    What screen do you have, and does it automatically turn on/off with the car? Does the screen have an LED that is always lit?
    Do you have a keyless entry and/or remote start system? If so does it have an immobilizer bypass?
    How long was the car left alone before the dead battery? Overnight, hours, or a week or two of being on vacation?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Don't rule out some other problem with the car.

My buddy had a short in his power seat that drew 30 amps all the time he found it by borrowing a (dc capable) clamp on meter.

Sears sells on for $59, I find it worth every penny.

Comment

I agree will billmee,
        I also had battery drains because I had a short somewhere in the dash where I "hubbed" all the monitors wires.
        After that battery got ruined I bought a yellow top and rewired the monitors.
        Depending on you PSU you may have it turning off to STANDBY, if that's the case everything inside is getting power, but I doubt that would kill your batt.

Also, have you removed your computer?? If not, try that so that way you can remove possible culprits.
        08 Lincoln Navigator www.mobiteklink.com

Comment

When you say it "died", do you mean it doesn't recharge or the battery is just flat?

Comment

Working...
          X