Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-DC Power Supply...

I just posted this in chat, thought I'd post it here as well:

[16:42:44] <Memphetic> hey guys, has anyone ever modified a standard computer power supply to accept the DC current from the car battery?
    [16:42:48] <Memphetic> my DSATX has never worked
    [16:42:54] <Memphetic> and I use an inverter and a standard power supply
    [16:43:15] <Memphetic> but I'm sure that power loss is being created due to inefficiency in the conversion, plus it's dumb to go DC to AC to DC.
    [16:43:47] <Memphetic> not to mention that my inverter has about had it, and makes the most annoying beep sound known to man from time to time

wtf?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

wtf what?

Comment

I dont get it.

1) It is more hassle than it is worth, so not to my knowledge
        2) If your DSATX doesnt work, send it back for repair. Many people use them and they work perfectly. Could be anything from a defective unit to PEBKAC
        3/4/5) Yes it is inefficient. The beep is probably overcurrent protection because you bought the cheap kind.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

I sent it back a long while ago and he sent it back and said it was working. I plug it in, and when it's not connected to the mobo, it has a red light so I assume it's running fine, but the moment I connect the motherboard power cable, it goes into three blink fault state.

Comment

Originally posted by Memphetic View Post
            I sent it back a long while ago and he sent it back and said it was working. I plug it in, and when it's not connected to the mobo, it has a red light so I assume it's running fine, but the moment I connect the motherboard power cable, it goes into three blink fault state.
            Well if your inverter and your DS-ATX are not giving enough power, perhaps you need to scale down your machine.

You havent even said what you are trying to run.

Comment

I don't remember the specs, but the DSATX didn't even work when plugged into an old old machine that had like a 233 mhz processor. three blinks.

Comment

the only peripherals attached are two hard drives (one laptop and one standard size).

Comment

Usually people give their CPU when listing "specs".

And if you got the 3 red blink all the time then perhaps it is faulty. I am no dsatx expert. But if he tested it and sent it back as working then most usually it is user error. How are you hookng it up? How are you testing it? In the car, or on the bench?

Comment

Sorry, it's 5 blinks. It's been awhile since I even tried it, I totally gave up on it awhile ago. here's a link to the post I made awhile back: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...-5-blinks.html

Comment

Well I go back to what I originally thought, overload. What kind of Celeron? Celeron D, Northwood or Prescott? Mobile or Desktop?

Well for a desktop chip that sucker draws almost 120W. That is 10A on the 12v rail. So with nothing else connected you are already overloading it.

Comment

Desktop. But like i said, it didn't work with an old 200 mhz processor either. I can't remember the make of the celeron. It's being tested in the car, 12 guage wire coming straight from the battery to the PSU, grounded to the frame with more 12 guage wire. Ground and power are clear, since they're connected to the inverter right now and it's working fine.

Comment

also 12awg wire is a tad on the small side. May be what is putting your inverter into protection mode (beep).

Comment

Working...
                          X