Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opus 320 Won't power PC

Good morning,

I bought an Opus 320 watt from MP3Car.com store last week. I have it all hooked up correctly (3xyellow - '+', 3xblack - '-', 1xred - 'ACC'). When I turn on the car, the opus led goes solid green. The led on my motherboard turns on, and my USB accessories get power (I have a USB hub that has a light in it, that's how I know).

But the PC doesn't turn on. I've tried to even turn the computer on by plugging the power button back in while the Board was getting power, and that didn't work either. The fans won't spin, and there is no VGA signal.

I tried 2 PCs - AtholonXP 2800 (stock clock) and a Pentium4 1.4ghz; same result with both.

I have 1 standard 40gig HD, 1 DVD drive, and a USB hub which is plugged into the lilliput. 512 meg of RAM (1 stick) and an ati 9600SE fanless video card.

From reading other posts, the OPUS 320 should be plenty to power this setup.

Car is a 2000 Cadillac Deville DTS

Can anyone help?

can you try powering your setup with a regular power supply? if that works you need to go get a ATX power supply tester... nd test your Opus to make sure it is working fine
    Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Both PC's do power up with a regular ATX power supply. In fact, the Pentium 1.4 ghz was in the car being powered by an inverter until I bought the opus.

I just bought this Opus and had it shipped over night to me. It's so disappointing when things don't work as you expect them to.

Anyway, do you have any idea why I would be getting USB (is that 5volt) but nothing else works? No processor fan, nothing.

Also, where do I buy a power supply tester?

Comment

it might just be that one of the power lines on the opus is dead.. its rare.. but it happens.... get a ATX tester and you will find out
        Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

I have an opus 150 and had a similar issue. Turned out that I just needed to match the polarity on the power button wires on the motherboard to the polarity of the power button connection on the opus.

When the PC should turn on, do any lights flash on the opus? Double check your ground too.

Comment

Do any lights flash? Depends on the orientation of the power button wires you speak of. In one direction I get no flashes what-so-ever; just a solid green LED. If I switch the lead around, the led flashes twice when I start the car up.

Comment

do you have the power switch connected from the opus to the motherboard?
              2002 Mitsubishi Galant
              Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
              Via M10K
              512mb Ram
              60GB HDD
              Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
              OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Yes I do, I've tried it both ways to make sure I had the correct polarity.

Comment

do u have a multimeter? Check the voltage on each line... Check to make sure you have at least 12v on the 2 yellow wires and make sure the remote (red wire) has 12v.
                  2002 Mitsubishi Galant
                  Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
                  Via M10K
                  512mb Ram
                  60GB HDD
                  Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
                  OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

You should get a solid green light if the PC turns on. If it flashes twice, that indicates that the Opus experienced a problem starting the PC. Good idea to check the voltages too, one of them is labeled "power good" and if that line does not read correctly the board won't power up. I don't remember which line that is though and right now I'm at work so not a lot of time to dig it up.

Comment

Originally posted by nst6563 View Post
                      You should get a solid green light if the PC turns on. If it flashes twice, that indicates that the Opus experienced a problem starting the PC. Good idea to check the voltages too, one of them is labeled "power good" and if that line does not read correctly the board won't power up. I don't remember which line that is though and right now I'm at work so not a lot of time to dig it up.
                      That's just it, I DO get a solid green light. But the board never turns on (except for USB stuff). If I switch polarity on the green and white turn on wires, I get the 2 flashes you speak of.

Unfortunately, and embarrassingly, I never learned how to use a multimeter. Network Admin, but can't use a multimeter.

I'm sending it back to the MP3car.com store for an exchange.

Comment

with ANY hobby (or job for that matter) that has wires... you should invest and learn to use a multimeter. They're not that expensive for your basic functionality and not hard to use. And depending on the situation...could save your life

Hope you have better luck with the replacement. I like my Opus, hasn't given me any problems yet (other than the goofy polarity issue with the power-switch lead).

Comment

your battery voltage is probably too low for the opus to start...it is designed to keep you from running your battery down.

Start your car, then check if it runs...

In addition...you need heavy wires running from your battery to the OPUS...you will probably need a fused 8 guage wire running directly from your battery to the + of the OPUS...and a very good ground wire.
                          current projects

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins View Post
                            your battery voltage is probably too low for the opus to start...it is designed to keep you from running your battery down.

Start your car, then check if it runs...

In addition...you need heavy wires running from your battery to the OPUS...you will probably need a fused 8 guage wire running directly from your battery to the + of the OPUS...and a very good ground wire.
                            Thanks for the comment. I actually have 8 guage wires running from the + and - of the battery. The + is fused, I had it installed by a car audio company.

Right now I have the PC running off of an Inverter while I wait for MP3Car.com to switch the power supply out. I'll let you all know how it works out when I get the replacement. I can't wait either. I'm really tired of going to my trunk to turn this inverter on and off...

Comment

Wanted to give everyone a follow up. I sent the 1st power supply back to MP3.com store. They sent me a replacement and it took all of 15 min to reconnect it.

When I 1st turned the car on, I was so disappointed as my PC didn't start right up. And then, 10 seconds later, it worked!

It's sooooo nice not to have to open my trunk to turn on and off a power inverter. I'm very pleased. Thank you MP3car.com forum and store.

Comment

Working...
                              X