Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will my battery last?

Hi

I have my pc using the m2-atx, and everything is fine, I have the centrafuse software set to put the pc into standby when the igniton is switched off.

However, my understadning is that when the pc is in standby its not off...so therefore will be using a small amount of power from the batteery...will this wear my power right down ... or will it switch off after a time, its great if you just stop at the shops etc for the standby mode!

That depends on how often you start the car to let the alternator charge up the battery, as well as the power draw of the PC and how strong your battery is.

If you put your PC into standby and continue to provide it power, it will stay in standby mode indefinitely.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I had mine set to hibernate and went on a 3 week vacation. When I got back my battery was run down but a simple charge and it came back.
      Ampie Case
      2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
      256 MB DDR2 PC5400
      Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
      Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
      M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
        I had mine set to hibernate and went on a 3 week vacation. When I got back my battery was run down but a simple charge and it came back.
        IMHO, your battery being run down was not of direct result to your carpc in hibernate, but rather that if your car battery is not brand new. Leaving it for 3 weeks regardless will most likely end up with a low/dead battery, due to how lead acid batties discharge.
        Crawdaddy
        1991 Chevy Suburban 1500 w/SBC 350
        2005 Saturn ION 2 sedan

Suburban Worklog

"A local New Orleans man says his socks are finally dry..." -Tom Tucker, Family Guy

Comment

does your Ram work hard when in standby mode? so that it shortens the life span?

I'm wondering if leaving a PC in standby mode all the time wears and tears your computer up.

Comment

RAM has no moving parts at all. Assuming everything is working as designed on your PSU (I.e. you don't have any current/voltage spikes, and not dropping below the required power levels.), then RAM should last for years and years and years even under constant use. I've worked IT for years (until I just couldn't take it anymore and moved onto bigger things). Its not uncommon to have servers run constantly for 5+ years before they're replaced. Even in those cases, its hard drives/fans/PSU's that wear out, not the RAM. Again, assuming the power you're supplying is nicely regulated.
            Is it that it's fun? Or that it lets you forget yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Snortonnorton View Post
              does your Ram work hard when in standby mode? so that it shortens the life span?

I'm wondering if leaving a PC in standby mode all the time wears and tears your computer up.
              It's solid state. There's nothing working hard.
              That said, the amount of current required is minimal, since all the PC needs to do is provide power to the RAM to maintain the system state, nothing more.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
              X