Powering the M2-ATX

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powering the M2-ATX

Hello, I'm pretty new to this carpc and I have a few questions. Greatly appreciated if you can share your input and help.

I'm powering my carpc with the M2-ATX to my 2008 highlander.
    My question is.

1. Anyone know where the hole on the firewall is? I can't seem to find it.

2. How many fuse should I use? I've searched and some said 1, most said 2 and some said the safest is 4 fuses. In additona to that what AMP should the fuse be? (at the battery terminal and near the M2-ATX)

3. What gauge cable should I use coming right off the + battery? and how about after the fuse? What gauge cable can I use for the negative?

4. Where can I get a kit with all that material? Or do I have to buy it individually?

Thank you

You can get a amp wiring kit from most auto sound or big box stores. If wired correctly, you need a fuse within 18" from the battery and the fuse at the M2 should be plenty of protection. If you want to add another fuse add a inline fuse to the ignition lead going to the M2.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. What gauge cable should I use? and what amp rating should the fuse be?

Thanks

Comment

If you are only going to be using the circuit for the CPC I would use a 20 amp fuse. The M2 fuse is a 15 I think. Go bigger on the fuse if you are going to power more items. If only for CPC you can use 10 gauge but, if you are going to power anything else I would go for 8 gauge.

Comment

For the hole in the firewall.. just find a grommet(rubber) on the inside of the engine compartment and drill a hole. Run the wire through it to the CarPC.

I bought an 8 gauge amp install kit off eBay.. the size of the wire was enormous so I ended up using 12 gauge wire. The 8 gauge now poweres my amp .

You should have a fuse on every item that's wired to power as close to the battery as possible. DO NOT let the battery terminals touch though. I mounted my fuses on top of my fuse box so I wouldn't have any more problems. I currently have 2: 1 for the amp and 1 for the carputer. I will be adding another for my sub when I install it. My CarPC I think has a 20amp fuse and my amp a 25 amp I think. Whatever
          2003 Nissan Xterra Worklog

Total amount spent so far: $1196.64

You will probably spend AT LEAST 2x what you initially budget for your CarPC Project!

2003 Nissan Xterra - Modifications

Comment

Working...
          X