DC-DC 1.5-9 Volts for $6.75

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-DC 1.5-9 Volts for $6.75

I'm a gearhead (mechanical engr senior) so I've been looking around for ready-made solutions for my carputer. My electrical skills stop at installing my own car radio...and my EE classes at school.

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bi...803&type=store

"Regulated DC-DC converter supplies selectable voltages from 1.5 to 9 Volts. Includes six different coax power plugs to fit most devices."

With some easy hacking I think this could work. However, considering that I'm a fish out of water, I probably missing something. Could you use a batch of these to power the mobo, hdd, etc?

[edit]:
    So I don't sound like too much of a clueless newbie - As far as I know, I need to get +/- 12v, +/- 5v, and maybe -3v at different amperages. So couldn't I just get one converter for each, and then just use ohms law to bring it to the right current?
    No Carputer YET.
    A car I'm designing...

Can't tell from your link, but judging by the size of the unit I'd say that there's no way it would provide sufficient current.

As an example, my EPIA mobo is specced at 1A @ 3V, 6A @ 5V and 1A @ 12V.

The other problem that you'd face is generating a stable 12V supply, and the negative voltage supplies, should your mobo require them.

Your best bet is to buy one of the premade kits on offer here such as zootjeff's or the sproggy psu, or go for one of the (expensive) commercial options.

Or of course, you can go down the invertor route.

Comment

Thanks... I thought as much but since it wasn't posted in the ad...

I guess it can be an option for other accessories - camera (rearview), different motors/actuators etc.
      No Carputer YET.
      A car I'm designing...

Comment

This unit is just a DC adapter, it will provide with ONE output at a time at - let's say- 1 Amp or 2 at the most. You can get them at your local Radio Scrap.

Comment

So I don't sound like too much of a clueless newbie - As far as I know, I need to get +/- 12v, +/- 5v, and maybe -3v at different amperages. So couldn't I just get one converter for each, and then just use ohms law to bring it to the right current?
          That would be +3.3volts, not -3.. and, the amount of current you need on each voltage rail would require... probably 10 of those for the +5volts, and 5 of them for the +12volts (this wouldn't be stable either) and probably 5 for the 3.3volts as well (atleast) totalling 20 "units" @ $6.75 totals.. LOL... 135bucks.. lol and you still don't have a stable 12volts or negitive volts... just buy a DC-DC powersupply, or make one, it isn't that hard!!!
          2 week temp ban (spam and complaining about deleted posts)
          register another account and you're gone for good.

Comment

Saying it isn’t to hard to someone that doesn’t not know a whole lot about electronics doesn’t help much. That’s like say Mozart saying to you, “Write a symphony, it isn’t to hard”.
            BossTone74

Comment

Haha it's ok. I know my limits, and I knew what he was saying.

Regardless of skill level or 'nerves', building my own wouldn't be as enjoyable for me as it is for many people here. In short, I'm the perfect subject for those members who are writing their own code or designing their own hardware to sell to other do-it-yourselfers.

For example, I'd have much more 'fun' trying to get a LCD to retract into my dash, or building a whole new dashboard for that matter.

I'm here because I hope that I can learn enough to do it more efficiently that I would otherwise. In otherwords, there are (much easier) custom electronic solutions to problems that I would have resorted to solving otherwise.

I've looked up Zootjeff's kit, but the one on the Sproggy site doesn't seem to be sold complete. This is just one small part of a very large project that is much larger than a carputer, so I'm in no rush.

Thanks for the help.
              No Carputer YET.
              A car I'm designing...

Comment

Working...
              X