Trying To Understand Proper Power Supply

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying To Understand Proper Power Supply

Hey guys... I've been reading around and I'm just getting somewhat confused.

I understand that DC-DC is better, however... my setup is a
    2.4ghz celeron laptop
    7inch lilliput touch screen

Is it true that I NEED to use an inverter since I have a laptop and it already has a PSU?

My main concern is that I want the laptop to turn on/off with the car key, the screen doesn't matter to me as much, and I thought that with an inverter I couldn't do this little trick... Plus inverters are inefficient, noisy, and hot.

No, just buy a car laptop power adapter (make sure it works with your brand/model). They're cheap and easy to find.

However such adapters will not force your laptop to turn on/off.

Comment

There are DC-DC converters that simply do a 12v-19v (I'm assuming your laptop wants 19v -- check your AC power brick) and will give you the power you want. Shutdown/Startup is harder because there's no native way to let your laptop know that your car is running or not. There are various hacks on this site, including soldering wires to the power button and constructing a circuit to hit the switch on ignition.
      Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
      Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
      Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
      Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
      ...it never ends

Comment

Thanks for the response man. Where would I look into buying one of those? I looked on the store in this site and I didn't really see what I needed...

Good brands? Good sites?

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemyhonda View Post
          I looked on the store in this site and I didn't really see what I needed...
          Look harder...!
          http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-010.htm
          http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-026.htm
          Old Systems retired due to new car
          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

That first link looks like what I need, when I looked at it the first time I thought that it was part of building an actual computer, I didn't realize that I could plug my laptop right into it?

http://store.mp3car.com/Carnetix_CNX..._p/pwr-010.htm

So I would just plug my screen and laptop into this and plug this into an acc wire? Or where would this plug into?

Comment

You need constant 12v, switched 12v and ground.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I just want to clarify that a laptop will work with that power supply, the one that I linked to above. If so, I will buy that and then figure out how to make it work...

Comment

You first have to clarify what laptop you actually have. I made a guess at 19 volts because that's fairly common, but there's all kinds out there that require anywhere between 16 to 21 VDC input.
                  Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
                  Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
                  Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
                  Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
                  ...it never ends

Comment

Okay, Gotcha, that particular psu goes from 18 to 20. And I do not yet have the laptop (getting it from a family member soon) but I'm trying to plan ahead. So I'm going to assume, that my laptop falls between 18 and 20. In which case, that would be the proper power supply.

Comment

Well, I setup a laptop once.

I used a airline/car adapter and set the power settings in windows to shut down in 5 minuets when running on battery power.

Had to wire up a switch in te dash to start it though...........

There's a couple laptop startup/shutdown modules on the forum if you search for them.

Cheers
                      For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                      Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Working...
                      X