Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I make a test rig using AC?

Hi Guys,

Quick and possibly stupid question. I wanted to set up an indoor test rig, but in my simple brain all I could come up with was wiring the power supply
    (DS-ATX2) to a car charger.

Now I'm thinking that it's WAY too much amperage on the power supply, but if I put it in trickle charge mode?

Is this going to work. If not any easy suggestions about hooking up a power supply indoors for testing.

Reason is I want to do some programming with the DS-ATX2 but don't want to go in and out of my garage to do the work of testing my programs.
    Zerach
    --------
    CentraSkin Developer

Try out the new version of CentraSkin V.52

Click here to get CentraSkin V.52

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...wer-house.html

I've been using this method for over 5 1/2 years.
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=4
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

DO NOT HOOK A BATTERY CHARGER DIRECTLY TO THE DSATX!

Says so right in the DSATX instructions..........check the PDF again.

There's a thread around here somewhere about how to use a regular ATX power supply to get a clean, stable 12v to test your dc-dc psu and run the 'puter in the house.

A quick search should turn it up...........

*edit: Darque got it while I was typing............*
        For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
        Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Muchos Gracias! I appreciate the help minus the sarcastic footer. I get the idea of a forum and a FAQ. Which I admit I didn't look at.

It's somewhat offensive to ask for time-saving help and get hit with that! Way to ->

All good advice and I knew I'd get the lions share of info from you guys.
          Zerach
          --------
          CentraSkin Developer

Comment

Who was sarcastic and when?

Honestly, I'm surprised that I wasn't, as I usually dole out the well-deserved sarcasm to newbies that haven't looked at the FAQs yet.
            But in your case I didn't, for some reason....
            How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by Zerach View Post
              It's somewhat offensive to ask for time-saving help and get hit with that!
              You could turn that around and say it's offensive to waste someone else's time without putting in a minimal amount of effort yourself.
              Almost there...

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
                Who was sarcastic and when?

Honestly, I'm surprised that I wasn't, as I usually dole out the well-deserved sarcasm to newbies that haven't looked at the FAQs yet.
                But in your case I didn't, for some reason....
                No it was a critique of your signature that got me, I know you were actually non-sarcastic it's the signature that was....I merely was pointing out that even when you don't want to be, people might take offense.

I've actually been in the CarPc community for over 4 years and am not new by any account. Other than not an electronics person and needing help.

Originally posted by MemphisMustang View Post
                You could turn that around and say it's offensive to waste someone else's time without putting in a minimal amount of effort yourself.
                I think it's a glass half empty vs full opinion, going to a community where helping is the point then really is it no different than asking someone who works at a dept. store where something is or what their opinion is on the matter? Point is the one time I ask instead of look because I don't have time I don't expect to see that sort of thing. And again it was more of a critique; if I worked at a dept. store and wore a sign "don't ask me stupid questions" and imply every question stupid (with a signature tag)...I don't think I'd work there very long.

I think I'm going to get in to a philosophical discussion rather than on topic; which is great but it will dilute my bottom line, which is I AM thankful for the help and got more than one opinion on how to do the rig from this thread.

I'm over it!
                Zerach
                --------
                CentraSkin Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Zerach View Post
                  I think it's a glass half empty vs full opinion, going to a community where helping is the point then really is it no different than asking someone who works at a dept. store where something is or what their opinion is on the matter?
                  Yes it is. The person working at the department store has a job to do and gets paid for it. We don't.
                  Old Systems retired due to new car
                  New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

The two links in my signature point to useful tools & knowledge that will aid anyone undertaking this sort of project.
                    While you view it as sarcastic, there is a very valid point to having those two links in my signature.

There would be no need to get sarcastic (which I do... OFTEN) on people who refuse to research on their on and expect that forum members will answer any question they have, regardless if it has been answered time and time again, in a FAQ, a sticky post, in the Wiki, in the FAQ on another forum and in countless newbie threads where the question was asked regardless of how many times it could be located by doing a simple forum search.

As a moderator, directing users to the search function and to a write-up on searching effectively is self-serving... At least I like to think so.
                    How about the Wiki?

Comment

Working...
                    X